The Oldfool tried closed exhaust and

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

The Oldfool tried closed exhaust and

Post by oldhead »

I went to the track to try pump gas,air filter on and closed quiet exhaust(2 1/2,full length) and had the pulleys turning the Vortech slow. I pull the plugs every run looking for pepper spots or bee-bees. I used RPM to control the boost. Shifting at 6000 (10#) 10:91 / 125.53, at 6600 10:77 / 126.53, at 7000 (15#) 10.70 / 126.63.............(Thinking).............NOTE: The et dropped but not the MPH......Next week first run, the same as 7000, second run open exhaust....I thinking atleast 5 MPH and 2/10s. The carb shooter was not right,causing poor 60s also.....SO WHAT YOU THINK....Oldhead PS: timing was at 32,at 10# pullled 4, Carb was very rich for 22# of boost
Quicker then most
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Re: The Oldfool tried closed exhaust and

Post by oldhead »

11 hours and 198 views, not one reply, where are all the smart people? :D :D :D :D Oldhead
Quicker then most
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

oldhead wrote:11 hours and 198 views, not one reply, where are all the smart people? :D :D :D :D Oldhead
Too many words and not enough punctuation or breaks/paragraphs..

Maybe you could rewrite what you said in paragraphs. And ask a question and maybe we can respond.. because I have no clue what you are asking vs saying.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

A vortech
A carburettor.

No boost control?
No knock control?

I often have a good laugh at the track when you see the racers in the street cars revving up the engines in the pits after dropping the exhaust.

They run worse?
Need a retune to run properly without exhaust?
That's if it ran properly WITH it.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

With the good exhaust components available today there's really no need to go to the trouble of dropping the pipes on a fast street car.
Back in the '60-'70s that was the thing to do and nothing like hearing that Street Hemi or 427 Chevy come to life!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I have no idea what your asking either by enlarge!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

What do you think about opening the pipes and possibly getting 5 mph and 2/10s. I will find out in 4 nights, No make that 4/10s :D :D :D :D Oldhead
Quicker then most
carmakerevive

Post by carmakerevive »

Wait - Closed exhaust means restricted exhaust?
"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine..."
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Well 7 days passed ang wentto track (ATCO,NJ) First run was made with no change from last week, second run, opened exhaust 10.23/131.27. Thats what I was hoping for..... :D :D :D :D Oldhead PS;Next run went up 8# to 22# of boost 9,24/148
Quicker then most