Caddy Builders

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Caddy Builders

Post by Adger Smith »

How many hard core builders that specialize in Cadillac's are out there ?
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Caddy Builders

Post by pdq67 »

Reading right along AND I feel that the 472"/500" Cad. engines are way overlooked!!

Sure, the package is big, but at something like 625 pounds or so, this is SBC territory...

You don't have to rpm the big suckers so just build, gear, and tire them for grunt.

pdq67
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

pdq67 wrote:Reading right along AND I feel that the 472"/500" Cad. engines are way overlooked!!

Sure, the package is big, but at something like 625 pounds or so, this is SBC territory...

You don't have to rpm the big suckers so just build, gear, and tire them for grunt.

pdq67
It is a shame that they built such a big engine with such a small cam core.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

I'm looking for the Caddy builders because I'm starting the wheels turning to retire and close my shop. I have a good supply of Cores (of all kinds, not just Caddy) that just breaks my heart to send to the scrap iron recyclers. I know this stuff is getting older and harder to find. I'm starting with the Caddy stuff because it is the smallest collection that I have. Pontiac will be the next thing I sort.
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the shipping cost kills the sales. I found a local guy to buy all my stuff and haul it away.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Usually when it's selling cores or equipment, you are offered scrap metal prices to sell, but gold prices to buy. You are most likely better off to sell on the machinist forum, eBay or Craigslist, etc...

There are a few caddilac builders I've heard of, but I've no personal experience.

Potter automotive

Courtney Hines

Jeff walker / torque inc

MTS
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Torque Incorporated out of California.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Hi, Adger,

My machinist has been in the core business for years and it's seldom profitable to ship small volumes. I'm always amazed how much time it eats up to talk the deal, handle the paperwork, strap them to a pallet and get it gone.

If you had a list, I could run it by the big rebuilder we sell to and see if they are interested in a semi load. They usually pay $200 - 400, more for the really hard-to-find stuff.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Adger Smith wrote:I'm looking for the Caddy builders because I'm starting the wheels turning to retire and close my shop. I have a good supply of Cores (of all kinds, not just Caddy) that just breaks my heart to send to the scrap iron recyclers. I know this stuff is getting older and harder to find. I'm starting with the Caddy stuff because it is the smallest collection that I have. Pontiac will be the next thing I sort.
I was looking for a 500 Cad crankshaft but was unable to find one.
Do you have any?
It doesn't have to be good, I only need dimensions off it.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

Torque Inc is no longer a company. John Walker joined forces with MTS. Not sure of current status.
MTS is based out of Apple Valley, CA now, John Walker is based in Ohio

Courtney Hines is Cad Company...in NM. They are possibly about the last hard-core/performance builders left that specialize in cadillacs.

Potter Automotive is no longer building engines..they sold their interests to Cad Co.

Most of the people I've encountered using these for drag or pulling engines..are building them out of their own garages. The induction part of the puzzle is either MTS, or Cad Co. for good aluminum bits.
too lazy to make power w/o boost
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i was in the caddy world for about 3 years, 2 engines and $20,000 . I'd sell the stuff on kijiji or craiglist one piece at a time. There is demand for the 472 / 500 stuff. I have forgot all the best part numbers but i sold all my stuff for fair prices. Fair for the buyer and the seller. I had dealings with MTS, JW and Potter. Not sure where they are all now but they were good to deal with. I think JW had some bad health issues. Dave Brodie on this forum is a caddy guy and will know the crowd.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Adger Smith wrote:I'm looking for the Caddy builders because I'm starting the wheels turning to retire and close my shop. I have a good supply of Cores (of all kinds, not just Caddy) that just breaks my heart to send to the scrap iron recyclers. I know this stuff is getting older and harder to find. I'm starting with the Caddy stuff because it is the smallest collection that I have. Pontiac will be the next thing I sort.
I would be interested on pricing for Pontiac 79 400 engine preferably coded for a 4 spd car if you have one or possible early model Ram Air or SD 455 type platform.
If you prefer you can PM me
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

It will take me a few weeks to get into the Pontiac cores.
I know I have a pretty large number of heads, but haven't got a clue what #'s.
I've been doing this 46 years and have collected a lot of cores/stuff that is late 60's to newer. It just kills me to deal with scrap buyers. I know how frustrating it is to look for specific cast iron. I'm still looking for a cast # 351 BBC date coded around Sept 66 for a real good HS buddies old 67 Chevy Biscayne. It was his Dad's and we beat and banged on it when we were teenagers. Not a big $$ restoration, just a fun thing to collect the past memories. I will post numbers when I get more dragged out. It would sure help if it cooled of a little. Still pretty hot in the core building.
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Adger a friend of mine in AZ has a 73 472 that took a dump in his 40 LaSalle. Hes not made of $ but wants to get it running
Had an MTI??Cam in it performer intake holley 750
He may be selling it due to health dont see where its cost effective to put a 454 in it.
Dont throw it out!! Maybe you two can work something out...somoene here offered us a crate for reasonable $ just havent had it.
pm me Ill send you his contact #. i think he had an oil pump issue
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

John Walker and another fellow from New York were Torque Inc. Walker is in Ohio, and was, or perhaps is affiliated with MTS/500 CID. He is shown at the link below, but so is Marty Lane, who has passed [RIP]. I have had pleasant dealings with Marty and his Brother Paul.

http://www.500cid.com/contact

Courtney Hines of 340 mph speedliner fame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrFfoLd91w

http://www.cad500parts.com/

A forum where you could list items, but the cores don't bring huge money.

https://cadillacpower.com/

Dave
p.s. - hey Brian, I even looked at your site in the past, but didn't know it was you....