General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Malvn
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Best 396 heads?

Post by Malvn »

vortecpro wrote

I use a dome piston and shift the head over with offset dowels. These engines perform very well!

vortecpro Wrote

The offset is done on a NHRA stocker build (375 HP 396) the offset is done by moving the bore over.

I am confused witch is it ???
Malvin
" Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that but the really great make you
feel that you, too, can become great". By Mark Twain
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

My statement:

The offset is done on a NHRA stocker build (375 HP 396) by moving the bore over.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

This isn't a big conundrum. If you want to move the intake valve away from cylinder wall, buy the offset dowels, drive them into the block. Enlarge the head bolt holes in the heads as needed.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Keith, when starting with a standard bore block, either the Dart, or a sleeved down 454 block, it is actually common to offset the bores. This prevents the need to bore the head bolt holes, but even more important, in NHRA Stock Eliminator, it prevents port misalignment that results from using the dowels, since porting is forbidden (yes, we all know it does actually happen) and some of us actually obey that rule. It doesn't matter so much in Super Stock where you can port, weld, and epoxy the heads. Both JE and CP actually build the valve relief offset in for you if you ask. The only drawback to putting the offset in the bores is the need to either narrow the small end of the connecting rod, or open up the distance between the inside of the wrist pin bosses in the piston. I often order my Dart blocks with at least an 0.030" offset from Dart, among other options. I know a couple of fast guys who have run an 0.060" offset. Usually that is done with iron heads, which use a 1.725" exhaust valve.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Alan Roehrich wrote:Keith, when starting with a standard bore block, either the Dart, or a sleeved down 454 block, it is actually common to offset the bores. This prevents the need to bore the head bolt holes, but even more important, in NHRA Stock Eliminator, it prevents port misalignment that results from using the dowels, since porting is forbidden (yes, we all know it does actually happen) and some of us actually obey that rule. It doesn't matter so much in Super Stock where you can port, weld, and epoxy the heads. Both JE and CP actually build the valve relief offset in for you if you ask. The only drawback to putting the offset in the bores is the need to either narrow the small end of the connecting rod, or open up the distance between the inside of the wrist pin bosses in the piston. I often order my Dart blocks with at least an 0.030" offset from Dart, among other options. I know a couple of fast guys who have run an 0.060" offset. Usually that is done with iron heads, which use a 1.725" exhaust valve.
I get all that. However, I don't build SS engines, it's just easier to use the offset dowels.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o