General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Aston Martin Engine

Post by ProPower engines »

hey guys
I have a customer that has a 1974 Aston Martin with a four cam V-8 engine and I am trying to ID it before we get much further.
On the Valve covers it has Aston Martin Lagonda in raised letters. Again this is a 4 cam V-8 engine.
It uses 4 Weber carbs for induction.

It has sat for some time and ran fine for a short time but developed some running issues soon after coming out of storage and has a couple very low holes where the heads need to come off but before I tear in apart I am looking for some details as to what engine it really is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Aston Martin Engine

Post by Newold1 »

The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I am told it is a series 3 engine.

Thanks
I will look at the link
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

ProPower engines wrote:hey guys
I have a customer that has a 1974 Aston Martin with a four cam V-8 engine and I am trying to ID it before we get much further.
On the Valve covers it has Aston Martin Lagonda in raised letters. Again this is a 4 cam V-8 engine.
It uses 4 Weber carbs for induction.

It has sat for some time and ran fine for a short time but developed some running issues soon after coming out of storage and has a couple very low holes where the heads need to come off but before I tear in apart I am looking for some details as to what engine it really is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

Dave

Dave,

This sounds like the Callaway headed engine.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
lewy-d

Post by lewy-d »

I think this would be the Tadek Marek engine. Basically the same V8 engine Aston used FOREVER (with the exception of the callaway)
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Dave, I have some info from the Aston tech manual for 1974. Mainly regarding the Weber carb setup and differences in UK spec and US spec as to jetting, etc.

If you have a 1974 series 3 Lagonda engine, it will be a 325 cu. in. quad cam engine putting out a bit over 300 HP and have 4 Weber 42 DCNF carbs......

http://driving.ca/aston-martin/auto-new ... r-34-years

...... Unless it has been upgraded to Vantage spec and in that case, it will have 4 Weber 48 IDF carbs, a bit more compression and different cams. I believe this performance package is called the 580 X-Pack engine (Works Service Conversion).
The 580 X-Pack engine is fitted with four Weber 48 1DF3/150 carburetors and a ZF 5-speed manual gearbox (Euro-spec). Cranks out 432 hp @ 6,200 rpm with 536 Nm of peak torque @ 5,100 rpm. Longitudinal acceleration is rated as: 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds, 0-100 mph in 11.5 seconds, 0-120 mph in 17.1 seconds, and 0-150 mph in 37.7 seconds. It does the ¼ mile @ 108 mph in 13.3 seconds. Its top speed is a respectable 163 mph.
Best regards,

Harry