Iame kart motor with V-shaped throttle plates

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Iame kart motor with V-shaped throttle plates

Post by Belgian1979 »

I was at a karting event and they were talking about a new Iame kart motor that had V-shaped throttle plates made out of carbon fiber (for the flexibility apparently) which, according to the explanation, was to combat intake reversion. The thing had a lot more hp than normal.

Anyone here have any idea about that throttleplate design. Seems interesting.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: Iame kart motor with V-shaped throttle plates

Post by miniv8 »

What, like a reed valve?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Unfotunately I didn't get a clear view at the throttles, only a spare throttle plate and it looks like that. No idea how they open them though.

Thing was a blast to drive. 180-190 km/h on the straits. Around 50 hp. Incredible torque for that small an engine. Different sound as well.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

My 2 cycle Mc101? Kart motor in 1968? had a V reed valve set-up as pictured by the OP, but its been awhile. I thought it was fast then. The valves varied between SS and phenolic, don't see much upside to CF, they both would fracture/fatigue and motor went flat, always near the end of a heat. [-X
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

j-c-c wrote:My 2 cycle Mc101? Kart motor in 1968? had a V reed valve set-up as pictured by the OP, but its been awhile. I thought it was fast then. The valves varied between SS and phenolic, don't see much upside to CF, they both would fracture/fatigue and motor went flat, always near the end of a heat. [-X
Well,they told me that was one of the reasons they used carbon fiber. It got used quite extensively and didn't quit once.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

2 cycle or 4 cycle kart motor?
555RAT

Post by 555RAT »

Thanks! Got a kick out of that, I'm at work on a Friday and that's funny.
Keith
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

1989TransAm wrote:2 cycle or 4 cycle kart motor?
2 cycle
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I believe reed valves been used in 2 stoke high performance engines since the early 1950's....There's also rotary valves...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

Maybe something like a Kendig or Preadator carb? I'll stick to my Mikunis and Kehins on my 2 strokes.....already have too many $$$ tied up in jetting for those platforms.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Truckedup wrote:I believe reed valves been used in 2 stoke high performance engines since the early 1950's....There's also rotary valves...
Don't know. Most items I see are Rotax's which have a carb with regular throttle blades.
Juho_

Post by Juho_ »

They are not throttle blades.
It probably has a regular slide carburetor and a reedvalve (what you are talking about).

Carburetor might be Dell'orto VHSH 30mm. 125cc 2-stroke shifter karts are limited to use a 30mm carburetor. In some race classes.

125cc shifter kart engines, like TM KZ10 has approx. 50hp at the sprocket (45-50hp mostly, hardly anywhere over 50hp though).
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Juho_ wrote:They are not throttle blades.
It probably has a regular slide carburetor and a reedvalve (what you are talking about).

Carburetor might be Dell'orto VHSH 30mm. 125cc 2-stroke shifter karts are limited to use a 30mm carburetor. In some race classes.

125cc shifter kart engines, like TM KZ10 has approx. 50hp at the sprocket (45-50hp mostly, hardly anywhere over 50hp though).
I didn't get to look it over, but they said no slides were involved. Don't see how it would work, which is why I asked in the first place.
Was a non-shifter btw.

Anyway, maybe I understood it wrong.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Belgian1979 wrote:
j-c-c wrote:My 2 cycle Mc101? Kart motor in 1968? had a V reed valve set-up as pictured by the OP, but its been awhile. I thought it was fast then. The valves varied between SS and phenolic, don't see much upside to CF, they both would fracture/fatigue and motor went flat, always near the end of a heat. [-X
Well,they told me that was one of the reasons they used carbon fiber. It got used quite extensively and didn't quit once.
Seems odd to me, the pictured reed intake one way valve reed needs flexibility in order to open under lowest pressure differential, in order to maximize crankcase/cyl filling. CF's main attribute is usually stiffness. I would think high rpm cyclic bending would be an opposing feature. Lightweight doesn't seem to apply here. The fracture demise I mentioned, seemed to be back in the day from the chosen material slamming shut/hard onto its sealing surface and likely bouncing, leading to progressive fracturing. The SS valves gave more power since I think they opened easier then the phenolics, but as the SS disintegrated over time, the motors did not like ingesting flakes of SS at high rpms, vs phenolics which did little interior motor damage, other then slowly lose sealing and power output. This is from memory of over 5 decades ago.