Circle track cam ID & integrity

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

thomas butt
Pro
Pro
Circle track cam ID & integrity

Post by thomas butt »

Got this in a package deal with a set of n351 & n352 heads. 362" circle track motor 2 barrel. Guy said it made 550hp with the 351 heads and more with the n352 but never dyno'd. This was another cam they were gonna try.

Does the cam look ok to use?. It's flat tappet. I called crane, comp & edelbrock. No joy so far with them.

Numbers on cam;

E A6274-13.
On cam: CWC & EP 62 on other end

19. 12
01. D1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: Circle track cam ID & integrity

Post by DaveMcLain »

Do you live close to me(Central MO)? if so it isn't a big deal to plot the cam and know what the specs are.
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

DaveMcLain wrote:Do you live close to me(Central MO)? if so it isn't a big deal to plot the cam and know what the specs are.
Thanks so much but I am in Tx! I would love to get it spec'd since he made a lot of power with that motor. Those heads are really nice looking.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Maybe it's just an artifice of the photo, but in the third pic that left center lobe especially, looks pooched!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

That cam is junk.
The numbers you listed are for the cam core.
The grind numbers have been ground off the back.

Strange the 352N head made more power. Normally the 351N makes more.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

CamKing wrote:That cam is junk.
The numbers you listed are for the cam core.
The grind numbers have been ground off the back.

Strange the 352N head made more power. Normally the 351N makes more.
I'll just sell that cam cheap then.

IMHO, I think the n352 would make more power in a 550 hp engine. N351 would be better over 600hp. since the intake port volume is is 186 vs. 195 or so for the n351. The n352 port is smoother on the pushrod side and raised .150" on the floor. The 352 exhaust port is 1.3"X1.5". The n351 is huge: 1.5x 1.6". Guy I got them from said smaller port, same flow numbers & higher speed in port made his car faster. He ran a 5.60 gear vs. 5.88 gear because it pulled that much harder. Only change was heads.

N351 intake port:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

Here is an n352 port. I have both heads (n351 & n352) side by side. It looks like the left wall has a lot smoother transition around the pushrod on the n351. The rest of the port looks very similiar with the exception of the floor brought up .150". I am not an engine builder just an amateur.... so to me it just looks like the n352 would make more power up to about 600hp where the n351 has the added cross section to be the better head.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

thomas butt wrote:....I'll just sell that cam cheap then...
It would be unethical to sell that lump of iron for anything more than 10 cents per pound.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

MadBill wrote:
thomas butt wrote:....I'll just sell that cam cheap then...
It would be unethical to sell that lump of iron for anything more than 10 cents per pound.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll toss it. I don't know what a bad cam looks like. Now I do.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Good core for a regrind?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Krooser wrote:Good core for a regrind?
Depends on how deep the pitting is. It's one of those things that can be worse than it looks. You may look at it, and think it'll clean up in .020", then you start grinding, and after taking .060" off, it's still not cleaned up.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

thomas butt wrote: Guy I got them from said smaller port, same flow numbers & higher speed in port made his car faster. He ran a 5.60 gear vs. 5.88 gear because it pulled that much harder. Only change was heads.
Faster does not equal more HP. It may have made more torque, and lost 20hp.

In a few circle track classes, the 351N heads were beating up on the Chevys so bad, they made them switch to the 352N head, and that dropped them down enough to make the chevys competitive again.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

CamKing wrote:
thomas butt wrote: Guy I got them from said smaller port, same flow numbers & higher speed in port made his car faster. He ran a 5.60 gear vs. 5.88 gear because it pulled that much harder. Only change was heads.

In a few circle track classes, the 351N heads were beating up on the Chevys so bad, they made them switch to the 352N head, and that dropped them down enough to make the chevys competitive again.
The 351N is the better head. As Mike wrote, Ford engines with those heads dominate the Chevys, (esp when rules allow the 351N, but not Bowtie vortec heads).
550 HP with a 2 barrel is optimistic. More like 490's in a well developed circle track engine.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
thomas butt
Pro
Pro

Post by thomas butt »

Keith Morganstein wrote:
CamKing wrote:

The 351N is the better head. As Mike wrote, Ford engines with those heads dominate the Chevys, (esp when rules allow the 351N, but not Bowtie vortec heads).
550 HP with a 2 barrel is optimistic. More like 490's in a well developed circle track engine.
Good to know. They both look really nice. The guy that had the heads set up had already sold them (guy that bought them didn't need heads but bought parts for the Shortblock) so I feel that he was being honest. He said the 352, at that power level was the better head but never had it dynoe'd. That's good to know because both heads are set up and just need some valves & maybe springs. They have bronze guides and looked to have some class legal porting done to them. The guy used 29* spark advance for the n351s and 24* advance for the n352