are retracted-gap plugs still being made?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

seattle smitty
Re: are retracted-gap plugs still being made?

Post by seattle smitty »

quote] I covered how to get the plug you need in my post. [/quote]

I saw it and thank you, but the fact that you can come up with a letter-number-letter designation doesn't mean that they actually manufacture such a plug. I can look up L82R on your chart, but Champion no longer makes it.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

seattle smitty wrote:quote] I covered how to get the plug you need in my post.

I saw it and thank you, but the fact that you can come up with a letter-number-letter designation doesn't mean that they actually manufacture such a plug. I can look up L82R on your chart, but Champion no longer makes it.[/quote]

Call ERC racing fuels in California. You can google it. He has a bunch of champion stuff not available and may know what number superseceded the L series plug.
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

I'm curious about why you'd use a retracted plug rather than a surface gap Smitty?
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

Check your PM's Smitty.. you scored! :mrgreen: Looks like Motorcraft AG 403's(8) and 203's(10)..
seattle smitty

Post by seattle smitty »

I'll check it, Dirt.

Johnno, the surface-gap plugs were quite new then, and not well known by the racers in the area. The recessed-gap plugs were well-known and had recognizable heat ranges, which the surface-gap plugs did not, for us.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

seattle smitty wrote:
I covered how to get the plug you need in my post.

I saw it and thank you, but the fact that you can come up with a letter-number-letter designation doesn't mean that they actually manufacture such a plug. I can look up L82R on your chart, but Champion no longer makes it.
You can also use that number to cross reference to other companies. My point initially was that you can use that to figure out what you need. Then see if it's being made or if someone might be selling NOS parts. Sorry if I wasn't clear or came off rude or short.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
seattle smitty

Post by seattle smitty »

No, no, you came off fine, a member trying to be helpful! No, I was having trouble seeing whether any of the plug manufacturers makes anything like those old ones I remembered.

I have found, and this goes far beyond spark plugs, that somehow the websites and on-line "catalogs" set up by commercial enterprises of all sorts, are much MUCH harder to use than the good old printed catalogs of the pre-internet era. Maybe it's my age, but I think most commercial websites are a PITA. And on occasions when I give up my DIY efforts and phone a tech line, the fellow at the other end now often has only the same website for looking things up. Unless he has been around as long as I have, he might have no idea what I'm talking about, even when it is a product that HIS company used to make.