SBC, T&D shaft rockers geometry?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
SBC, T&D shaft rockers geometry?

Post by redliner »

I am very familiar with the Midlift rocker arm geometry as I previously worked with Jim Miller to retrofit a set of his rockers for my last motor. My question is, what geometry does T&D use? Would I want to shim the T&D system to midlift geometry? (I dont think the rockers have millers midlift geometry built into them so...) Should I just leave well enough alone and follow T&D instructions?
panic
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC, T&D shaft rockers geometry?

Post by panic »

Mid-lift is not an adjustment.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

panic wrote:Mid-lift is not an adjustment.
It has been a number of years since I was familiar with this set up and realize the rockers had a different geometry to them as compared to all others. I do not recall the specifics of the midlift ... something about the rocker arm and the pushrod and the valve being at the same angle at midlift.... anyhow.... I suppose T&D has their own method, I do not understand everything I know about about the T&D
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

panic wrote:Mid-lift is not an adjustment.
I just meant shim them up until the roller tip and the fulcrum are 90 degrees to the stem at midlift I wonder if T&D is designed to be 90 degrees at 2/3 lift like Jesel is?
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

you use the height gauge supplied with your rockers. once you get the stand height set the pattern will pretty much take care of itself. make sure you tell them if your valves are longer than stock because for that head because you only want to add .100" of shim under the stands at most. so if you have longer than +.100" you will likely need taller stands. I have +.100 and forgot to tell them, but I ended up at .087" of stand shim to get it where I needed it. google 't&d stand height tool" and you will see how it works. or look for t&d's downloadable instructions.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

cab0154 wrote:you use the height gauge supplied with your rockers. once you get the stand height set the pattern will pretty much take care of itself. make sure you tell them if your valves are longer than stock because for that head because you only want to add .100" of shim under the stands at most. so if you have longer than +.100" you will likely need taller stands. I have +.100 and forgot to tell them, but I ended up at .087" of stand shim to get it where I needed it. google 't&d stand height tool" and you will see how it works. or look for t&d's downloadable instructions.
I already have them.... I have not installed them, I will call and see if they will exchange the stands.... Thanks!
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

If you arrange the rocker height to give a 90 degree angle between the fulcrum/roller tip line and the stem axis, you can't get 90 between the fulcrum/pushrod cup line and the pushrod axis.
Is that the best compromise? Opinions vary.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

panic wrote:If you arrange the rocker height to give a 90 degree angle between the fulcrum/roller tip line and the stem axis, you can't get 90 between the fulcrum/pushrod cup line and the pushrod axis.
Is that the best compromise? Opinions vary.
Good question! Does anyone know which method T&D uses?
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

T&D will have mid-lift geometry.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

T&D will have to be set according to their instructions and with the tool they supply. After that you have to adjust the pushrod length to get a good sweep over the valve and that is it.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

Abbottracingheads wrote:T&D will have mid-lift geometry.
Really... I like that....
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

Abbottracingheads wrote:T&D will have mid-lift geometry.
I just spoke to Sheldon @ T&D and he confirmed the midlift and he says they are very fussy about their geometry!!! Good to know!!!
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

Belgian1979 wrote:T&D will have to be set according to their instructions and with the tool they supply. After that you have to adjust the pushrod length to get a good sweep over the valve and that is it.
with the pushrod length on a stud rocker this is true because the pushrod determines the height of the rocker on the stud and thus the sweep. but with the shafts (especially the t&d's because they oil through the lash adjuster) there is a baseline setting for the lash adjuster and you can adjust to +1turn/-1 turn (so +/- .050" from baseline for 20tpi) from that or you cut off oil flow to the rockers. so once you get the stand height, you just leave the adjusters alone from their factory setting and measure pushrod length. shouldn't be a lot of variance in the p-rod length since the stand height is set you aren't changing where the roller tip is in relation to valve tip from pushrod length.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.