351 windsor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: 351 windsor

Post by DaveMcLain »

gvx wrote:Plans have been modified a little bit 400 horsepower 451 foot pounds of torque 5200 RPM Peak 5700 shift.

Have heads selected that's a new question is will OEM rods be appropriate for this level performance or should I upgrade to scat rods Pistons are about 550 g.
100% adequate.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

gvx wrote:Plans have been modified a little bit 400 horsepower 451 foot pounds of torque 5200 RPM Peak 5700 shift.

Have heads selected that's a new question is will OEM rods be appropriate for this level performance or should I upgrade to scat rods Pistons are about 550 g.
At that Piston speed and power level a production connecting will be fine IF you use a pressed wrist pin. The bolts are suspect so, be sure to use high strength aftermarket bolts and also be sure to resize the big end, round again.

Personally, I would use a SCAT forged "I" beam rod ... especially if you need to have someone else do the work on the production rods. The rods total cost will not be that much different and you will have a better piece.
The down side is; You will need to get all the rotating assembly re-balanced if using those aftermarket rods.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

20150830_193732.jpg
There are two styles of 351w rods I know of "broached"and "football" head rods. I am sure with a bit of prep either is fine for your application. Broached has a rectangular rod bolt head and the football head rods have bolt heads shaped like a football. The football head rods leave more metal in critical areas around the bolt head which improves strength. At the very least I would deburr them and check for roundness with stock bolts torqued to spec with oil. A.R.P bolts and a resize is nice but questionable at that hp level. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Carnut1 wrote:20150830_193732.jpgThere are two styles of 351w rods I know of "broached"and "football" head rods. I am sure with a bit of prep either is fine for your application. Broached has a rectangular rod bolt head and the football head rods have bolt heads shaped like a football. The football head rods leave more metal in critical areas around the bolt head which improves strength. At the very least I would deburr them and check for roundness with stock bolts torqued to spec with oil. A.R.P bolts and a resize is nice but questionable at that hp level. Thanks, Charlie
You're probably right ... I just like to error on the safe side. :-k

I have been bitten to many times. :wink:
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

The strongest oem 351W blocks were the first 3 years or so. GT40 heads were copys of the early 351 heads with the older 260 289hp exhaust port configuration. Back in the late 60s early 70s could 375 hp fairly easy ported and larger valves installed. Building a 351 or larger its best to go with aftermarket heads with larger ports size depending on usage for a 302 best off most of the time with ported OEM iron