Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ALKYBURNER
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:13 pm

Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by ALKYBURNER » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:00 am

Have a nitrous BBC lookin at adding O2 sensors for better tuning at track and being more consistent run to run , do not have a Race Pak in car so looking at some of the data recording O2 sensors from big stuff3 and altronics? anyone running or using any thing like this ? pros? cons? Any advice would help like to find what is best and spend money once Thanks

User avatar
jmarkaudio
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4078
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by jmarkaudio » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Innovate LM2 is the most simple, one or two channel, an adaptor cable and it records RPM, and with an add on box it will data record extra channels of what ever you like.
Mark Whitener
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3408
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by Walter R. Malik » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Be aware ... O2 sensors do NOT actually measure air / fuel ratios but, merely the oxygen remaining in the exhaust gas.

They are not the same things but, O2 sensors can read close air /fuel if it is not grossly rich or lean.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

RaptorLou
New Member
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by RaptorLou » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:50 am

I have the LM2 and pocket recorder, works pretty good and can play back on laptop from the sd card.
If it isn't broke push it harder :D

joe 90
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 am
Location: The land of the long white cloud

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by joe 90 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 am

They don't even measure the oxygen content when richer than lambda 1.
They measure the % of combustibles.

joe 90
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 am
Location: The land of the long white cloud

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by joe 90 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:54 am

EGT sensors are better, more accurate, more reliable, cheaper and they're industry standard.
WB sensors are over rated, go faulty, change readings etc.

It's not going to harm using them but you certainly wouldn't want to rely on them as your only instrumentation.


I've got one(innovative) on one of my cars, I've also got EGT as well as a calibrated Bosch NB o2 sensor.

Use all 3 together.


An engine dyno, you'd expect to use everything available, depending on budget.

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: NC

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by Warp Speed » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 am

joe 90 wrote:EGT sensors are better, more accurate, more reliable, cheaper and they're industry standard.
WB sensors are over rated, go faulty, change readings etc.

It's not going to harm using them but you certainly wouldn't want to rely on them as your only instrumentation.


I've got one(innovative) on one of my cars, I've also got EGT as well as a calibrated Bosch NB o2 sensor.

Use all 3 together.


An engine dyno, you'd expect to use everything available, depending on budget.
Again, the professional motorsports world, from NASCAR to F1 is doing it all wrong relying on information from a wide band sensors huh?!? Lol
And just what useful AFR tuning information are the EGTs going to provide over a wide band lamda?!?

hoodeng
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:53 pm
Location: South Australia

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by hoodeng » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 am

If you can really streeeetch your budget , O2 and EGT sensors together are a must, the combination of their data tells more than one or the other used singularly . unfortunately you are heading into dedicated data logging equipment territory, the benefit to your tune from day one will surprise you but what will possibly swing you to data logging is detecting a fault before it costs an engine.
And if you can really really streeeeetch it ,drive line sensors will show you which bin you are tipping your ET into.
Many years ago when we wrote everything down and tried to make sense of it all, only to find something contradicted what we thought we had already proven ,the need for a data logger became desirable and like you, we agonized over how to keep it simple ,eventually over a couple of years the owners bit the bullet and bought a dedicated system ,,, the difference was chalk and cheese once it was sorted out ,to the point what we thought were neat little tricks turned out to be ,,,,hmmmm ,,, how do i put it? i would have to say data is king , after a pass the download was read before anything was touched.


Cheers.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5642
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by David Redszus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:52 pm

EGT sensors are better, more accurate, more reliable, cheaper and they're industry standard.
Can you reveal just what information you think is obtained from an EGT and why is it useful? They are certainly useless as far as mixture tuning is concerned.

Lambda sensors can be used with very good accuracy if properly used. Most are not.
An O2 sensor should be inserted in each exhaust pipe at about the same location.
The sensor should indicate tip temperature and be self correcting.
A sample rate of 1000 Hz is very useful; it should be recorded along with throttle position and rpm.

hoodeng
Member
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:53 pm
Location: South Australia

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by hoodeng » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 pm

One feature of EGT when used in conjunction with O2 is when ,O2 is stable and there is a rise in EGT could indicate on the system i used, timing being later than ideal, and if the EGT was less than our target would indicate advanced timing from ideal , of course other factors were to be taken into account as data is holistic so a negative impact on ET with all other parameters in scope would narrow down an area to be investigated.If you do go down the data logging route ,first up you will be swamped with a sea of lines that will make you go quiet for a while ,,but it will make sense once sorted.
If you can ,source your system from a supplier that gives backup ..When we had trouble in the early days of a new bike ,the guys that supported that data logging brand were also running a vehicle at similar meetings so i was extremely lucky to have these guys a few pits away.
All data is singular vehicle relevant pretty much as guys that run multiple vehicles know ,what worked on one does not necessarily mean another vehicle of the same type would respond exactly the same with the same interpretations.

Bit like weather stations , yours might not be 'Bureau of Meteorology' correct but if it is consistent it will be observations relevant to your vehicle ,,,, i could never work out what people were looking for when they compared weather stations????

All that said , data monitoring and recording your exhaust to start with is a mighty big step in the right direction just by itself!!!

Cheers,

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: NC

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by Warp Speed » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 am

You do know that you can have the same target burn rate and afr in all cylinders and still have vastly varying egts from cylinder to cylinder.......?

joe 90
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 am
Location: The land of the long white cloud

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by joe 90 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 am

If you've got even combustion and even AFRs then you'll have even EGTs.


If you go and mess it up with uneven fuel distribution or bad atomisation, then you'll end up with uneven EGTs.



Starting off with something that works properly and adding instruments and watching what happens (with mods) is far better than starting with a POS and trying to fix it by adding instruments.

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: NC

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by Warp Speed » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 am

joe 90 wrote:If you've got even combustion and even AFRs then you'll have even EGTs.
In theory!
Unfortunately, in the real world, that is NOT the way it is!

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: NC

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by Warp Speed » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:53 am

hoodeng wrote:One feature of EGT when used in conjunction with O2 is when ,O2 is stable and there is a rise in EGT could indicate on the system i used, timing being later than ideal, and if the EGT was less than our target would indicate advanced timing from ideal , of course other factors were to be taken into account as data is holistic so a negative impact on ET with all other parameters in scope would narrow down an area to be investigated.If you do go down the data logging route ,first up you will be swamped with a sea of lines that will make you go quiet for a while ,,but it will make sense once sorted.
If you can ,source your system from a supplier that gives backup ..When we had trouble in the early days of a new bike ,the guys that supported that data logging brand were also running a vehicle at similar meetings so i was extremely lucky to have these guys a few pits away.
All data is singular vehicle relevant pretty much as guys that run multiple vehicles know ,what worked on one does not necessarily mean another vehicle of the same type would respond exactly the same with the same interpretations.

Bit like weather stations , yours might not be 'Bureau of Meteorology' correct but if it is consistent it will be observations relevant to your vehicle ,,,, i could never work out what people were looking for when they compared weather stations????

All that said , data monitoring and recording your exhaust to start with is a mighty big step in the right direction just by itself!!!

Cheers,
How do you come up with an EGT target temp?

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5642
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Air fuel ratio 02 sensors for data

Post by David Redszus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am

Warp Speed wrote:
joe 90 wrote:If you've got even combustion and even AFRs then you'll have even EGTs.
In theory!
Unfortunately, in the real world, that is NOT the way it is!
Actually, if you have even combustion and even mixtures you will have even EGTs. But, no engine has even combustion and even mixtures. Every engine has large cycle to cycle variances as well as cylinder to cylinder variances.

Ignition timing, or more precisely combustion timing, has the greatest single influence on EGTs. But throttle position (including air flow past each throttle at every angle), engine RPM, inlet air temperature, and length of time at full throttle will drive the EGT measurement. A thermocouple located in a single exhaust pipe will produce a different reading than one inserted in a collector. Add to the mix the fact that a TC can only give a time weighted average reading in a pulsed flow exhaust, which is far from being the actual temperature.

The above have been observed many times using high speed data logging. Hook up a TPS, inlet air temp, ignition angle, RPM, EGT and O2 to a quality data logger (AIM, MoTec) and try to find positive correlations. Since the data is very jittery, it takes some concentrated analysis to understand what is actually happening.

And, if you can, also hook up an in-cylinder TFX combustion pressure sensor.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from attempting to understand; I am saying that we must dig deeper to find the truth.

Post Reply