Dart Little M Cam Bearings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Sajomatic
Dart Little M Cam Bearings

Post by Sajomatic »

Im going to work on my next engine project over the long weekend. Im building a 420 from a Little M Sportsman block. I have purchased the Dart coated bearings with the 3 holes in them. I have searched over the forum and it seems like there are some who are using some modified Bowtie cam bearings. It looks like the Dart bearings will have to be installed at either 6 10 and 2 . Or maybe it might be better at the 8 12 and 4 position. The clocking positions are with the block right side and looking at it from the front. Would it be better to modify the Bowtie bearings and use those? I think the Bowtie bearings in stock form only have 1 hole. If a person was to use the Bowtie bearings in stock form, they would have to be installed at 6 o'clock. What do you guys think?
resurrectionjoe
Pro
Pro

Re: Dart Little M Cam Bearings

Post by resurrectionjoe »

I used to run the 3 hole bearings and decided to try the modified 1 hole for a test.

I add a 2nd slightly larger hole and grooved between the holes.

Place the original hole lined up at 6 o'clock and the new slightly larger hole at 3:30. (block in upright position)

Tried it in a few drag engines with solid rollers that get freshened every other year.

Modified bearing have about 40-50% less wear in the 4 to 8 o'clock area of the bearing.

Most of the reduced wear is in the 4 to 6 o'clock position but there was less wear even out to the 7 and 8 o'clock areas

In my opinion neither of the bearings were in any danger of failing,
but I felt there were enough gains to be had that I only use the modified 1 hole bearing now.

The bearings were Durabond HP series non-coated.

With the coated bearings all of this may not matter,
but even still I like the idea of cutting down some of the excessive oil flow and directing it to the more critical areas.
Sajomatic

Post by Sajomatic »

Thanks for the quick answer Joe. With the modified Bowtie bearings how deep and wide was the cut on the back side of them? When you installed them the original hole was lined up with the oil hole in the cam tunnel correct?
resurrectionjoe
Pro
Pro

Post by resurrectionjoe »

I cut a 3/16 wide .030 deep groove in the bearing.

Yes I line up the original hole with the oil passage and the new hole goes at 3:30