Stock LS1 bolt ons...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Rooster Cogburn
Stock LS1 bolt ons...

Post by Rooster Cogburn »

Have followed this board for quite a while... 7 years or so. Good stuff.

Anyway, just bought a used 70k mile 2000 Camaro SS w/ T-56 stock LS1 with LS6 intake, EGR delete, SLP lid. No other mods.

I am looking for heads, cam, and long tube headers. My first LS car or engine. Know my SBC gen 1 parts reasonably well but haven't kept up with the LS1 tech.

Have read some other forums but I don't really trust the information there as everyone is going for 'the biggest dyno number' or 'biggest flow number' or 'beat-the-ground-cam-sound.'

So far I am leaning toward just having the stock 241 heads ported with stock valves. Is there anyone on the board that has a CNC program for these or is willing to hand port? I don't care about flow numbers. I just want attention to detail on the VJ, guides, spring heights, porting, etc.

I have a cam recommendation already out to Mr. Mike Jones. It's only been a day and assume he is pretty busy.

Shopping for long tube headers, Y-pipe, and dual exhaust with H or X pipe. Open to recommendations of the manufacturer of those parts. Looking at stainless headers instead of ceramic coated. Figure 1-3/4" headers are best for street driving (there are 1-7/8" available.)

FIgure 2.5" pipes are good for street also vs. 3"

Rear gear is stock 3.42. Will not be changing this as I have heard the crappy GM 10 bolt will only be weaker with a 3.73 ring/ pinion. If I ever go deeper, it will be with a 9" rear.

Tuning will be done by Wong's Performance in Vancouver, WA, after re-assembly.

While I am throwing in the cam and heads on, should I be replacing stock LS1 lifters? Timing chain? If so, assume LS7 are the ideal lifter replacements? Quality timing chain if stock is recommended to be replaced? Any other item I am missing while doing this?

Car will be street only. I have no horsepower goals, no ET goals, no sound goals. I just want a good running LS1 with some more power and fun.

Thanks for the help!
Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Stock LS1 bolt ons...

Post by Old as Dirt »

Have you talked to Tommy Wong?
Surely with the amount of LS stuff he does, his recommendation would be in the ball park with some of the best..
Chad or Larry for the heads..
Mike for the Cam..
Calvin for the Exhaust..
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Cam and headers is what I would recommend. Unless you are building a 408 and turning some rpm, in my opinion you could use that money on better rocker arms and valve springs. bottom line, the cam is what you need. and it doesn't take a bunch of thump to make 400whp
91stang
Pro
Pro

Post by 91stang »

How about leave the motor alone and just add a turbo? Make more for less. There is another shop local to Wong that does a fair amount of turbo ls stuff. Pm me if you want more.
1991 mustang 3040 with driver all motor all the time 9.70 @ 138.75 1.31 60' street driven mufflers and real tires, mt 275/60/15 radials with a 950hp holley.
Rooster Cogburn

MTENGINES wrote:Cam and headers is what I would recommend. Unless you are building a 408 and turning some rpm, in my opinion you could use that money on better rocker arms and valve springs. bottom line, the cam is what you need. and it doesn't take a bunch of thump to make 400whp
Hmm... I was under the impression the stock LS1 heads flow 230- 240 cfm and the exhaust port is pretty poor? I know the stock heads "will do" but you think money would be better spent on rocker arms for a cam, I would guess would be under .6" lift and low 220s duration? I didn't know the stock arms were that bad? Read where guys were swapping them out but they were running moderately high spring rates. Not arguing here... just an opinion I wasn't expecting I guess and curious about your thoughts.
91stang wrote:How about leave the motor alone and just add a turbo? Make more for less. There is another shop local to Wong that does a fair amount of turbo ls stuff. Pm me if you want more.
Swell idea but I'm gonna keep this one N/A.
Old as Dirt wrote:Have you talked to Tommy Wong?
Surely with the amount of LS stuff he does, his recommendation would be in the ball park with some of the best..
Chad or Larry for the heads..
Mike for the Cam..
Calvin for the Exhaust..
Haven't discussed anything in depth with Mr. Wong, yet, but will definitely go over it with him.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

I meant higher rocker ratio. They sell upgraded trunions for a reason. a cam in the mid 220s and .600" lift will make 400whp with those heads. but if you want to have them ported go for it. your restriction now is the cam, then intake, then heads.. I have ported probably 40 sets of that casting, about 10 sets of ls3. I just thought id chime in and help you save some money..
Rooster Cogburn

MTENGINES wrote:I meant higher rocker ratio. They sell upgraded trunions for a reason. a cam in the mid 220s and .600" lift will make 400whp with those heads. but if you want to have them ported go for it. your restriction now is the cam, then intake, then heads.. I have ported probably 40 sets of that casting, about 10 sets of ls3. I just thought id chime in and help you save some money..
Gotcha. I originally misunderstood.

I found a company out of Colorado that does porting for the LSx intakes and late model Hemi intakes. Didn't really want to go for a FAST / 92mm setup since I didn't think I would be at a power level to necessitate that... plus I like the plain black look of the factory pieces. Once the cam issue is "solved"... you believe $250 is well spent for the LS6 intake to be ported? (Can't remember off hand what cfm gain there was there.) Thanks again for the feedback.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Rooster Cogburn wrote:
MTENGINES wrote:I meant higher rocker ratio. They sell upgraded trunions for a reason. a cam in the mid 220s and .600" lift will make 400whp with those heads. but if you want to have them ported go for it. your restriction now is the cam, then intake, then heads.. I have ported probably 40 sets of that casting, about 10 sets of ls3. I just thought id chime in and help you save some money..
Gotcha. I originally misunderstood.

I found a company out of Colorado that does porting for the LSx intakes and late model Hemi intakes. Didn't really want to go for a FAST / 92mm setup since I didn't think I would be at a power level to necessitate that... plus I like the plain black look of the factory pieces. Once the cam issue is "solved"... you believe $250 is well spent for the LS6 intake to be ported? (Can't remember off hand what cfm gain there was there.) Thanks again for the feedback.

It really depends on the RPM and Power level you want. If you are looking for more than 430whp than yes.
If you would like some free information on build recipes, Private message me. I can give you parts and dyno result numbers. not inflated numbers but actual real world experience.
V Remian

Post by V Remian »

If your going to take the heads off, get a pair of 5.3 truck heads casting 862 or 706(more compression), port or not. Cam around 225 or less at.050. LS 6 intake is fine as it is, any lifter will suffice. Trunion upgrade a waste of money. If you're going to de-screen the Maf, do it before it's tuned. Hooker aerochamber exhaust seems to fit well. 1 3/4 headers. I think up to 2000 injectors were on the smaller than later ones-your tuner will advise you on that once he sees the duty cycle they operate at.
Rooster Cogburn

V Remian wrote:If your going to take the heads off, get a pair of 5.3 truck heads casting 862 or 706(more compression), port or not. Cam around 225 or less at.050. LS 6 intake is fine as it is, any lifter will suffice. Trunion upgrade a waste of money. If you're going to de-screen the Maf, do it before it's tuned. Hooker aerochamber exhaust seems to fit well. 1 3/4 headers. I think up to 2000 injectors were on the smaller than later ones-your tuner will advise you on that once he sees the duty cycle they operate at.
Good info. Thanks!