Need Help With Valve Spring Locators

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigpoppapreston

Need Help With Valve Spring Locators

Post by bigpoppapreston »

I'm working on some 6.1 Hemi heads and am getting away from the "top hat" style valve seals. The valve guides measure .520" and I'm using PSI1511 springs with an O.D of 1.290" and inside diameter of .9085". I need an locator that will work with these dimensions. Who has the largest selection? I went to Summit and Jegs website and found nothing that would work. Thanks in advance!
-Poppy
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Need Help With Valve Spring Locators

Post by MadBill »

Generally, the bigger spring companies have a good selection of locators sized for their products, so I'd try PSI. (The best locators for a recent job of mine with PAC springs came from PAC.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
bigpoppapreston

MadBill wrote:Generally, the bigger spring companies have a good selection of locators sized for their products, so I'd try PSI. (The best locators for a recent job of mine with PAC springs came from PAC.)
Thanks MadBill. Definitely will try PSI and PAC
-Poppy
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

With a 1.290 OD and a .909 ID you may have to do some machine work on the heads.
As mentioned the spring companies do supply locators for most of their springs and would be the 1st choice to contact depending on the brand of spring. An ID locator would be my 1st choice.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think I once before also recommended you check with PEP ,Performance Engine Parts as they make their own spring locators and if they don't have a correct sized unit in stock, they will make them for you.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
bigpoppapreston

Newold1 wrote:I think I once before also recommended you check with PEP ,Performance Engine Parts as they make their own spring locators and if they don't have a correct sized unit in stock, they will make them for you.
You once recommended me to check PEP....hmmm ok. I'll check them out though.
-Poppy