cheap BBC race block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

cheap BBC race block

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Just throwing this idea out there, Has anyone ever attempted to sleeve a 366 tall deck block to a 4.5" bore? Like wet sleeves like they do with some other blocks?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: cheap BBC race block

Post by engineguyBill »

No. 4.500" is too large bore for OEM BBC block. Not enough room for that large of sleeve in the block and remember that when all eight cylinders are sleeved, there is some reduction in the sturdiness of the block. Aftermarket block is the only way to go for a 4.500" bore BBC application.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
John Ross

Post by John Ross »

My friend Dick Durant, an amateur SCCA A/SR and Can-Am racer, showed me a ruined standard-deck BBC he tried this with circa 1972 in his Lola T163. He said it cracked through almost immediately but made great power while it lasted.

JR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuslog
Pro
Pro

Post by cuslog »

I'm using a Gen VI 502 block -- They'll easily go 4.500 and more. Mine took a 4.250 crank with no clearance grinding. They'll go 540 and leave room for several overbores.
Priority mains oiling, tall lifter bores, one piece rear main.
Reher-Morrison used them in their "Super Series" engines for several years, before the Dart blocks.
Mercruiser used lots of them in boats.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

I've heard the new 502 is based off the bow tie case....
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

prairiehotrodder wrote:Just throwing this idea out there, Has anyone ever attempted to sleeve a 366 tall deck block to a 4.5" bore? Like wet sleeves like they do with some other blocks?
I am also interested in this too!

Say, offset bore and wet sleeve a BBC block so that I can get a 4.75" bore out of it. Or should the big Packard block be used instead of a BBC block?

Set the bore centerlines at the two middle cylinders on each bank and offset install wet sleeves each way

I am not going to worry about offsetting the crank rod journals and head-bolts, AND this isn't going to be a race block, but rather just a big, medium rpm block. Say, from 750 to 800 rpm to about 5500 to 5750 rpm is all....

pdq67

PS., 4.75" b x 4.375" s = 620.22" engine...
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

cuslog wrote:I'm using a Gen VI 502 block -- They'll easily go 4.500 and more. Mine took a 4.250 crank with no clearance grinding. They'll go 540 and leave room for several overbores.
Reher-Morrison used them in their "Super Series" engines for several years, before the Dart blocks.

They will also go to 620 ci as well with minimal clearance grinding for the 4.750 crank
I did one for my PU with some extra stuff on the shelf
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

ProPower engines wrote:
cuslog wrote:I'm using a Gen VI 502 block -- They'll easily go 4.500 and more. Mine took a 4.250 crank with no clearance grinding. They'll go 540 and leave room for several overbores.

They will also go to 620 ci as well with minimal clearance grinding for the 4.750 crank
I did one for my PU with some extra stuff on the shelf
4.750 sounds like a lot of stroke for a block with a standard "car" deck height.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

I am hoping that someday we will have a Dart SHP big block to use.
desoto30

Post by desoto30 »

me too!! that'd be good
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

"8 sleeves and cheap" one of these words doesn't belong with the other..... $150/hole+ the sleeve $20-40 + decking $200+ .......
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Racerrick wrote:"8 sleeves and cheap" one of these words doesn't belong with the other..... $150/hole+ the sleeve $20-40 + decking $200+ .......
Totally agree on costs and with questionable longevity.