Another Ford 2 bbl C project.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: Another Ford 2 bbl C project.

Post by Steve.k »

We had trouble in bowl area under seat. Thin in there. Was going to try a different seat but no go. Those heads seem to work well with minor work so im gonna say you will gain a ton.
Daniel Jones
Pro
Pro

Post by Daniel Jones »

> Dan thanks for the info , but it's none of those brand Manifolds you listed.

CHI cast some 351M/400 intake manifolds to suit their 3V heads to support one of Kaase's Engine Masters engines.

> I have to look in my old info book and see if I still have the old add info when they came out.

Let me know what you find.

> Dan i think the offey dual port was rated to 5500.

Thanks, I've updated the 351M/400 intake list.

> Thats what we used on my sons bogger and was impressed with how it worked.

I've known a few people who have used Dual Ports on mild street Clevelands and all liked them. I'm sure they give up a fair bit of top end power but they seemed to have good throttle response in those applications. I've got a spreadbore 351C-4V Offy Dual Port that's been cut apart, ported and welded back together. One of these days I'd like to test it on the dyno.

Dan Jones
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

IMG_20170819_19417.jpg
IMG_20170819_570.jpg
Yes these heads are quite thin in some areas, typically in the areas we want to fix !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Cutaways are good. Sometimes you you just gotta wonder what the engineers were thinking. The intake moves alot of air but the shape is not great and velocity profile looks pretty bad due to massive intake port. The exhaust port is a disaster. I think spray welding is about the only cure.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

TuffXF on here is making very, very good HP from 2V closed chamber heads & Active 2V intake - around 650hp if I remember correctly. That's with a stock 4MA crank, under 360 cubes.

Tricky to get the intake turns right, 2.08" valve is usually better, gives a little more room to get the shape right before you hit water. When the shape is right you're close to water on the corners of the turn even with a 2.08" valve.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Lol Dave!
Yes thanks to the indispensable sonic tester it's been a long time since I had a break thru in porting !

Well I could not find my info on the other Intakes Manifolds I used to have on hand, but before my Head it the Pillow last night it came back to me, the name was B&A performance .

Thanks for those cut away shots guys , and yes it's no more grinding time on the Intake side for these!

Charlie the Exh side may look bad, but as compared to a 385 series iron 460 cid Exh port this 2 bbl C head is over 22% smaller and flows 20 more cfm then the best I can yank out of a 460 head ( 185 cfm ) even with a 1.75" valve .

Granted thought the 1.75" on the 460 port does make for fat low lift numbers when you realize that that's your only hope !

These overly large ports where a direct result of Fords poor idea of testing at 65"h2o if you ask me!

Harley made the big port mistake for a while ,Mercedes, Pontiac and a few others as I recall.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

mag2555 wrote:This fellow also told that he had a conversion Manifold that they do not make any more ( can't recall the brand name) but it's some 15 years old or more and he says they where short lived when they where produced.

Thanks all for the info!
Wonder if he wasn't refering to B&A performance out of Fort Smith Arkansas? Many years ago I built some Clevors using Australian 2V heads and their manifolds.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Mag2555, sorry didn't read your post before doing mine.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

CJ is that a cut away shot of a D1AE casting?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

mag2555 wrote:CJ is that a cut away shot of a D1AE casting?
No this is an ARDO , thats all thats left of the casting number.
Craig.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

So this casting never came on a factory motor here in the states?
As I look at the cut away I must say that the Intake valve bowl neck down ( Throat) looks far smaller then the 2 bbl C head I am woking with!
Also that Head does not seem to be a thin wall casting, at least not with all that meat on the short turn!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

This is an Australian casting, throat , valves etc all the same as a DIAE casting. I'll get a shot from another angle tomorrow, its a bit decieving as the cut goes diagonal thru thw bowl and gives the impression of a thicker casting while also hiding the bowl diameter.
The Australian cast stuff was just a 'little' mire orine to core shift so sometimes its great and sometimes its awefull.
Craig.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

SupStk wrote:
mag2555 wrote:This fellow also told that he had a conversion Manifold that they do not make any more ( can't recall the brand name) but it's some 15 years old or more and he says they where short lived when they where produced.

Thanks all for the info!
Wonder if he wasn't refering to B&A performance out of Fort Smith Arkansas? Many years ago I built some Clevors using Australian 2V heads and their manifolds.
Just so you know tmeyer inc took over B&a ford manifolds.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Steve.k wrote:
SupStk wrote:

Thanks all for the info!
Just so you know tmeyer inc took over B&a ford manifolds.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the update Steve. Are they still offering manifolds?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I know he has the clevor style manifolds that b/a designed but not sure of others.