stock 383 mopar

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: stock 383 mopar

Post by Tuner »

PackardV8 wrote:Classic case of mission creep.

Have Daytona Carb rebuild the Carter. Have a distributor shop rebuild his distributor. Put it back stock and leave well enough alone.
^^ This^^ Should have repaired the original carb (if it actually was the one the car came with) and dist and left it original. No wonder the original carb ran better than a larger aftermarket shiny thing, the original has hundreds of hours of engineering time in it to calibrate it specifically to the original engine. Ditto the original pre-smog distributor calibration. In the long run a nearly virgin vintage original car like that will retain and increase its value, not so likely for something modified. The original engineering goals included maximum reliability and in 1966 Chrysler Corp. cars had the 5 Year 50 Thousand Mile Warranty so they were built to last ..... really. In the lifetime of a passenger car it is incredibly more important how well the carb is calibrated in terms of A/F and DISTRIBUTION at 5% to 15% throttle than how much WOT power it has.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Here is what I'd put in that C body: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/holley-hp-efi-install/
Andy F.
AR Engineering
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Tuner wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:Classic case of mission creep.

Have Daytona Carb rebuild the Carter. Have a distributor shop rebuild his distributor. Put it back stock and leave well enough alone.
^^ This^^ Should have repaired the original carb (if it actually was the one the car came with) and dist and left it original. No wonder the original carb ran better than a larger aftermarket shiny thing, the original has hundreds of hours of engineering time in it to calibrate it specifically to the original engine. Ditto the original pre-smog distributor calibration. In the long run a nearly virgin vintage original car like that will retain and increase its value, not so likely for something modified. The original engineering goals included maximum reliability and in 1966 Chrysler Corp. cars had the 5 Year 50 Thousand Mile Warranty so they were built to last ..... really. In the lifetime of a passenger car it is incredibly more important how well the carb is calibrated in terms of A/F and DISTRIBUTION at 5% to 15% throttle than how much WOT power it has.
The OE stuff just isn't snazzy enough.
All about the show and not the go I guess.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

statsystems wrote: The OE stuff just isn't snazzy enough.
All about the show and not the go I guess.
This fits by reasoning my understanding of my customers goals changed from the time i started this thread.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

gvx wrote:This fits by reasoning my understanding of my customers goals changed from the time i started this thread.
I've learned that the quickest way to get your customer to change his mind after he's already committed is to start a SpeedTalk thread :lol:
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Baprace wrote:I think the demon carb is where most of his power went, I have never seen one that made great power, even though they are modeled after the Holly carb they seem to work different
That all depends upon WHICH carb he bought. The newer Demon caburetors are more like a Carter than a Holley.

The Weiand intake manifold #8009 works really well on a "driver" which needs manners along with power.

The cam chosen is way to big for performance in a "boat" car with stock torque converter and small rear gear.
He complained about the carb change losing power ...? Tell him he will lose a bunch more drive-ability and manners with a cam like that, just so he can get the sound he wants.

Make sure this is HIS decision.

http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Baprace wrote:I think the demon carb is where most of his power went, I have never seen one that made great power, even though they are modeled after the Holly carb they seem to work different
They definitely work different. "Badly" is a kind of different.

But they have great advertising so they MUST be good!
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

AMXstocker1 wrote:If he wants it to work and he's willing to spend money, tell him to do a mild torque converter change 1800-2500 ish stall atleast 3.23 gears headers a perform or performer rpm and i would think a cam similar to this would work HUG SEH1016BL-1
That cam should make drivability a lot better than the other cam I saw, ( 227 x 241 @.050 is too big )the ( 210 x 216 @.050 ) is plenty big enough. JMO
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

Baprace wrote:
AMXstocker1 wrote:If he wants it to work and he's willing to spend money, tell him to do a mild torque converter change 1800-2500 ish stall atleast 3.23 gears headers a perform or performer rpm and i would think a cam similar to this would work HUG SEH1016BL-1
That cam should make drivability a lot better than the other cam I saw, ( 227 x 241 @.050 is too big )the ( 210 x 216 @.050 ) is plenty big enough. JMO
i'd bet this cam would out run the that other cam i saw too.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

I don't know about how they may fit into the chassis, but 383/440 "magnum" exhaust manifolds are a big help over the standard manifolds.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

OK!!

S would turning this engine into an old 383", "Road-Runner", engine help here?

Some have said that these old 383" RR engines were a lot stronger than what you would think that they should be.

I do know that a classmate of mine at Moberly Jr. College back then bought a new Road Runner and put something like Sonic M-50 tire's on wide rims on the rear.

Sucker would definitely haul ass! 383", -727, and 3.23's.... At $2995, it was optioned just like a, "Taxi"...

pdq67
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The later 383s without the 516 heads where a far stronger motor above 3800 rpm!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

pdq67 wrote:OK!!

S would turning this engine into an old 383", "Road-Runner", engine help here?

Some have said that these old 383" RR engines were a lot stronger than what you would think that they should be.

I do know that a classmate of mine at Moberly Jr. College back then bought a new Road Runner and put something like Sonic M-50 tire's on wide rims on the rear.

Sucker would definitely haul ass! 383", -727, and 3.23's.... At $2995, it was optioned just like a, "Taxi"...

pdq67
My bought new 69 Super B 383 4 speed 3.23 posi ran 14.5 bone stock...This was typical 383 times from what I saw at many trips to the Englishtown and Island strips in NJ....It was also about the same times you got from most entry level muscle cars, GTO, 442, 396 etc...
According to Mopar, the 383/335 hp in the SB and RR had different heads,cam, slightly higher compression than the 383/330 used in non performance cars....The stock 335 hp engine on a dyno had about 275 HP based on info published back then...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
That all depends upon WHICH carb he bought. The newer Demon caburetors are more like a Carter than a Holley.

The Weiand intake manifold #8009 works really well on a "driver" which needs manners along with power.

The cam chosen is way to big for performance in a "boat" car with stock torque converter and small rear gear.
He complained about the carb change losing power ...? Tell him he will lose a bunch more drive-ability and manners with a cam like that, just so he can get the sound he wants.

Make sure this is HIS decision.

I had that manifold part number wrong; that one is for a 440 engine. #8008 is for the lower deck block engines.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.