Pump Gas 555 CID BBC, 10 to 1....Dyno 880 Plus...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Re: Pump Gas 555 CID BBC, 10 to 1....Dyno 880 Plus...

Post by vortecpro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am

NormS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 pm
I dragged it up because nobody else did. When there is a lot of missing data on a dyno sheet, there is usually a reason. It's usually related to smoke and mirrors. There shouldn' be any data taken at the top end of a pull as the throttles are being closed. That data would mean nothing. The timing of ending data gathering should occur just before the start of throttle closing. If done this way, then the numbers mean something.
The guy that dynoed that engine is a very strait forward person that has no interest in misleading anyone. Simply they don't have their supporting data correct, which in no way affects actual corrected power. Now you can say we don't no where the numbers come from...that's fine, but not one time did you ask whats the car runs and where does it run. Foxwells stuff works and I've seen Straub's cams deliver, I have no doubt 880 HP sounds reasonable to me from that combination. There was no deception here.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.

NormS
Pro
Pro

Post by NormS » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah,right. If the performance of the car was something he wanted to talk about, to support his power claims, we would have heard about it.
Competition Fuel Systems Vassar, MI. www.compfuelsystems.com 520-241-2787

cstraub
Guru
Guru

Post by cstraub » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:14 pm

NormS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:00 pm
Making 884HP on 600 CFM of air, and 950 HP worth of fuel(at .50 BSFC) ? The numbers don't add up. I notice that there are no Bsfc's on the dyno sheet. Is that intentional ?
The air flow can be explained if there was an airflow meter on just one carb. But how do you explain using 475 lbs/Hr fuel to make 884 HP. Not knowing what the atmospheric correction factor was at the time, makes it just a guess as to what the actual BSFC at peak power was. ?? .60 ??
Don't own the dyno. Didn't build the engine. We did porting on the heads and intake and did the valvetrain. The shop that built the short block and dyno'd the engine told the customer that it was the best running BBC they had ever had on the dyno. They only had 1 hat. They moved a few times between the 2 carbs to measure airflow on both carb, just not at 1 time.

Car has gone 6.01 at 115MPH. Customer is still tuning chassis for power. It's a 1972 Chevelle, all steel.
Chris Straub
Performance Mfg.
http://www.straubtechnologies.com
www.distributorgears.com

cstraub
Guru
Guru

Post by cstraub » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:19 pm

NormS wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm
Yeah,right. If the performance of the car was something he wanted to talk about, to support his power claims, we would have heard about it.
Norm,
Based on your website and the years you have been doing this I would think you understand that things take time. This was dyno'd on August 12th. Customer is in KY. Did not get to the track till late September. Chassis will never hold this kind of power. Customer understood that going in. He wanted a nasty street car.....he has it. Like I said, it has run a best of 6.01 at 115MPH. He is doing a converter change over the winter and some chassis stuff.
Chris Straub
Performance Mfg.
www.distributorgears.com

cstraub
Guru
Guru

Post by cstraub » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm

67 Nova wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 am
Racerrick wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 am
Where is the question in OP post ??????. 99.9% of the threads on this forum are asking a question. Not serving an agenda and that is the point. Straub is selling his wares and thumping his chest. I find it annoying as this forum IS NOT for selling Straub cams, Morel lifters and Foxwell heads. He has been warned on the other forums for posts of this nature. For the parts used his motor is nothing special for a solid roller 555 with 2x750 carbs and ported heads just like the one I built for my customer. OP post belongs in the show and tell section.
See others are starting to see the "snake oil" salesman coming on here? I thought FOXWELL WORKS FOR STRAUB too, not separate identity or company........

As for this 555. Actually I thought it was an "ok" build, till I seen the tunnelram and then thought it was underachieving quite some. Didn't VortecPro do a 516 for a Chevelle with a hyd roller, pump gas cast single that made 896 @ 7100
John good to see you over hear sir. I would highly recommend you listen here and try to answer questions like you do over on YB. There are a lot of smart people here that really do engine work. Listening would be your best option.
Chris Straub
Performance Mfg.
www.distributorgears.com

67 Nova

Post by 67 Nova » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Your right Chris. I was listening. And seems that people are, and I quote, " find it annoying as this forum IS NOT for selling Straub cams, Morel lifters and Foxwell heads. He has been warned on the other forums for posts of this nature."

So seem like others are seeing though and listening as well, just like myself. As I've been here what 10+ years... Did lose my loggin stuff. But found it again.

HOPEFULLY CHRIS YOU CAN KEEP THIS PROFESSIONAL HERE WITH TECH AND NOT MAKE THINGS PERSONAL LIKE YOU AND SCOTT DO ON YB......................... TECH QUESTIONS AND TECH ANSWERS.

That's what I'm here for. Not some personal crap from you or spamming sales about Straub Tech and there employee Foxwell Motorsports!!!

cstraub
Guru
Guru

Post by cstraub » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm

67 Nova wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 pm
Your right Chris. I was listening. And seems that people are, and I quote, " find it annoying as this forum IS NOT for selling Straub cams, Morel lifters and Foxwell heads. He has been warned on the other forums for posts of this nature."

So seem like others are seeing though and listening as well, just like myself. As I've been here what 10+ years... Did lose my loggin stuff. But found it again.

HOPEFULLY CHRIS YOU CAN KEEP THIS PROFESSIONAL HERE WITH TECH AND NOT MAKE THINGS PERSONAL LIKE YOU AND SCOTT DO ON YB......................... TECH QUESTIONS AND TECH ANSWERS.

That's what I'm here for. Not some personal crap from you or spamming sales about Straub Tech and there employee Foxwell Motorsports!!!
John,
Your funny sir....so professional is calling someone a "snake oil salesman". Class act sir....Class act you are.
Chris Straub
Performance Mfg.
www.distributorgears.com

67 Nova

Post by 67 Nova » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 pm

cstraub wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm
Your funny sir....so professional is calling someone a "snake oil salesman". Class act sir....Class act you are.
Do you not mislead people by NOT telling them that Scott is your employee! SIR!!!

67 Nova

Post by 67 Nova » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm

But back to this engine.

I'm pretty sure I know who the owner is now. He seems ok but doesn't come across as a hard core or the type that's better versed in the high performance area. This 555 is probably making close to what there posted. But did notice these subtle differences too had just got me thinking how legit is it. Et helps

cstraub
Guru
Guru

Post by cstraub » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

67 Nova wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 pm
cstraub wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm
Do you not mislead people by NOT telling them that Scott is your employee! SIR!!!
If people don't know Scott work for me they have been in the North Woods for 6 years. Scott has been in TN working for me for 5 years this March. This has been well documented I thought. Anyone that calls ask for me or Scott.
Chris Straub
Performance Mfg.
www.distributorgears.com

vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

67 Nova wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm
But back to this engine.

I'm pretty sure I know who the owner is now. He seems ok but doesn't come across as a hard core or the type that's better versed in the high performance area. This 555 is probably making close to what there posted. But did notice these subtle differences too had just got me thinking how legit is it. Et helps
John

The owner of the car (a nice person) never has anything negative to say, completely screwed Scott and Chris with his FN ridiculous pro mod TQ converter (50 pound version) and two speed pro mod trans, needless to say it would have been MUCH faster with the proper drive line, probably could have been a 9.0 car, just sayin. Norm.......you seem kinda flaired up
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.

Orr89rocz
Guru
Guru

Post by Orr89rocz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Why cant people share their results? Idk why people get bent out of shape over posts that show someones results, regardless of if they do the motor or have their own parts in it. Results are nice to see.

Kenova
Pro
Pro

Post by Kenova » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Orr89rocz wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm
Why cant people share their results? Idk why people get bent out of shape over posts that show someones results, regardless of if they do the motor or have their own parts in it. Results are nice to see.
I agree.
For those of us who have had little exposure to the world of racing or engine building, and/or live in a region where this kind of expertise is sparse these types of threads are helpfull in formulating our own builds and finding someone to work with (or not).
I can't help but notice that some are called out for peddling their wares while others are not. If someone has a product or service to offer I would like to hear about it. That is one of the reasons I visit this forum. I just wish I had more to offer in return other than the occasional wisecrack.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.

NormS
Pro
Pro

Post by NormS » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 pm

It's nice to share results when they are real. When they aren't based in fact, they are deceptive, and may lead some people down the wrong path, spending significant money to get a disappointing result.
Competition Fuel Systems Vassar, MI. www.compfuelsystems.com 520-241-2787

cstraub
Guru
Guru

Post by cstraub » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pm

NormS wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 pm
It's nice to share results when they are real. When they aren't based in fact, they are deceptive, and may lead some people down the wrong path, spending significant money to get a disappointing result.
Most of my customers are on their second go around. I know what you mean. Our motto here is...."it's your money, but our reputation".
Chris Straub
Performance Mfg.
www.distributorgears.com