Pump Gas 555 CID BBC, 10 to 1....Dyno 880 Plus...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Re: Pump Gas 555 CID BBC, 10 to 1....Dyno 880 Plus...

Post by 67 Nova »

But back to this engine.

I'm pretty sure I know who the owner is now. He seems ok but doesn't come across as a hard core or the type that's better versed in the high performance area. This 555 is probably making close to what there posted. But did notice these subtle differences too had just got me thinking how legit is it. Et helps
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

67 Nova wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm But back to this engine.

I'm pretty sure I know who the owner is now. He seems ok but doesn't come across as a hard core or the type that's better versed in the high performance area. This 555 is probably making close to what there posted. But did notice these subtle differences too had just got me thinking how legit is it. Et helps
John

The owner of the car (a nice person) never has anything negative to say, completely screwed Scott and Chris with his FN ridiculous pro mod TQ converter (50 pound version) and two speed pro mod trans, needless to say it would have been MUCH faster with the proper drive line, probably could have been a 9.0 car, just sayin. Norm.......you seem kinda flaired up
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Why cant people share their results? Idk why people get bent out of shape over posts that show someones results, regardless of if they do the motor or have their own parts in it. Results are nice to see.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

Orr89rocz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm Why cant people share their results? Idk why people get bent out of shape over posts that show someones results, regardless of if they do the motor or have their own parts in it. Results are nice to see.
I agree.
For those of us who have had little exposure to the world of racing or engine building, and/or live in a region where this kind of expertise is sparse these types of threads are helpfull in formulating our own builds and finding someone to work with (or not).
I can't help but notice that some are called out for peddling their wares while others are not. If someone has a product or service to offer I would like to hear about it. That is one of the reasons I visit this forum. I just wish I had more to offer in return other than the occasional wisecrack.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

It's nice to share results when they are real. When they aren't based in fact, they are deceptive, and may lead some people down the wrong path, spending significant money to get a disappointing result.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Mark,

Ya didn't know he did the converter/trans thing.
NormS wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 pm It's nice to share results when they are real. When they aren't based in fact, they are deceptive, and may lead some people down the wrong path, spending significant money to get a disappointing result.

This stems from various sources on various sites with the same 2 individuals? SCRIS (Scott and Chris) downplay others achievements and call out others on there stuff, but can't stand it when people do it to them. Add that to there constant peddling of there wares and some of their own customers asking me, or others there thoughts or concerns as they are brought up. I had numerous PM's over on Team Chevelle about this type of stuff. Like dropping oil pressure during a dyno run. Scott blew me off as a no body. His customers showed concern as well. Not till CMFCNC AND Chris U on YB saying there was an issue, did they acknowledge the issue.

No one wants to see a customer of anyone's have issues with there fresh build. I just pointed it out to keep an eye on it. My own stuff had the issue 6 years ago. Cost me a billet crank and BME rods to start. So I've SEEN it on my own parts. Just trying to help others out. They might not scrap the crank like I did, but could shorten the life of there engine.

But enough about this.

It's a ok build. I don't know all the facts, that's fine. Still a stout motor with at least the expected results. Not earth shattering by any means, but if the guys who's $$$$ is happy, what are we to say. But on a site with this expertise, that's just the run-of-the-norm style build.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

cstraub wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pmMost of my customers are on their second go around. I know what you mean. Our motto here is...."it's your money, but our reputation".
Will let that lay just where it is...
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Does anyone remember when you could read a post, make an informed decision on your own and move along with out claiming that you are a victim of the poster?

My heart goes out to all you poor victimized people that are now compelled to make a purchase because you were given free info and you can't determine for your self if it is of any use. "Must Make Purchase...No can Choose For Self...Mean Man Make Me Buy Product!!!!!!!!!!!"

Some day we will Evolve.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

Looking at the dyno sheet, peak torque is at 5200, and peak HP is at 6500. From 5200 to 6500, there is a 24.4% increase in airflow, and a 51.2% increase in fuel flow. Yet the Air/Fuel ratio, in that same rpm range, shows to be maintained in the mid 12's. How can that be?
Fairdale Ky is at about 500 ft elevation. On a warm humid day there, in early August, one could assume an atmospheric correction factor of 1.08. With a 1.08 corr. factor, the bsfc at 5200 is .435, which is good. At 6500, the bsfc is .564, which is really poor. If the corr. factor was even higher, those bsfc numbers only get worse. Either this engine is really inefficient at the top, or the numbers that are shown on the dyno sheet do not reflect what really happened.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

GARY C wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 pm Does anyone remember when you could read a post, make an informed decision on your own and move along with out claiming that you are a victim of the poster?

My heart goes out to all you poor victimized people that are now compelled to make a purchase because you were given free info and you can't determine for your self if it is of any use. "Must Make Purchase...No can Choose For Self...Mean Man Make Me Buy Product!!!!!!!!!!!"

Some day we will Evolve.
No kidding. Great post.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

NormS wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:18 pm Looking at the dyno sheet, peak torque is at 5200, and peak HP is at 6500. From 5200 to 6500, there is a 24.4% increase in airflow, and a 51.2% increase in fuel flow. Yet the Air/Fuel ratio, in that same rpm range, shows to be maintained in the mid 12's. How can that be?
Fairdale Ky is at about 500 ft elevation. On a warm humid day there, in early August, one could assume an atmospheric correction factor of 1.08. With a 1.08 corr. factor, the bsfc at 5200 is .435, which is good. At 6500, the bsfc is .564, which is really poor. If the corr. factor was even higher, those bsfc numbers only get worse. Either this engine is really inefficient at the top, or the numbers that are shown on the dyno sheet do not reflect what really happened.
[/quote

We don't know if the fuel was weighed, we don't if the fuel turbines are calibrated, we know nothing about this dyno. What we do know is his car weighs around 3600 pounds and runs 115 in the 1/8 mile in less than a 29.92 baro. In my world that's 795 observed HP, you put that engine in my Chevelle and your going to see 880 or dam close to it. I do agree with the correction factor being around 1.06 - 1.08.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.