General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Billet hydraulic roller

Post by Geoff2 »

Dave,
I am in Australia. In my 455 Pontiac I have a Comp Cams Custom solid roller. Using one of those 'bad' Chinese HEIs. Comes with a steel dist gear. Had the gear melonized by a local heat treat company. I am monitoring the timing. Obviously if the timing retards, the gear could be wearing. Last time I checked it gained [ advanced ] 1 degree! 60 # oil pump, 10w/60 oil. So far, so good.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

Geoff2 wrote:Dave,
. Comes with a steel dist gear. Had the gear melonized by a local heat treat company. I am monitoring the timing. Obviously if the timing retards, the gear could be wearing. Last time I checked it gained [ advanced ] 1 degree! 60 # oil pump, 10w/60 oil. So far, so good.
WTF you mean someone other than Morel nitro carburized a gear! Amazing! to hear Straub tell it only Morel is qualified cause they invented it don't you know. LOL
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Geoff2 wrote:Dave,
I am in Australia. In my 455 Pontiac I have a Comp Cams Custom solid roller. Using one of those 'bad' Chinese HEIs. Comes with a steel dist gear. Had the gear melonized by a local heat treat company. I am monitoring the timing. Obviously if the timing retards, the gear could be wearing. Last time I checked it gained [ advanced ] 1 degree! 60 # oil pump, 10w/60 oil. So far, so good.

That's interesting. I know Brent recommends the steel gear on a steel cam and has had good results but I've been bit by that one time in a Cleveland build. I ran the engine on the dyno and then along with the customer we used the engine to test a whole bunch of intakes so it got a LOT of run time on the dyno. After we were done I pulled the distributor and checked the gear which looked perfect.

The customer took the engine and installed it in his Pantera which he drove about another 3500 miles or so and then one day it quit with the distributor gear and cam both roached.... It seemed so weird to be because I would have thought that if it ran through hours of dyno running that it would essentially run forever but that turned out to not be the case....
Daniel Jones
Pro
Pro

Post by Daniel Jones »

Dave,

That distributor gear was supposed to have been a Crane gear suitable for a steel cam core but after it failed Mike called the vendor and found out it was a Mallory gear for SADI cam cores. Also, when it failed he was riding the MSD rev limiter down a long straight which was likely hammering the gear as he runs a gear drive instead of a timing chain.

On a related note, when Crane went out of business (before re-organizing), I picked up several of the Crane steel gears for 351C engines as, at the time, they were the only manufacturer of steel gears for the Cleveland. The gears were in the same packaging as previous gears we'd used but didn't have the printed cards inside and the gears themselves had a different finish color from the gears we got before and after they went out of business. My guess is the gears were never heat treated but just put in packaging by whomever bought up the remaining stock. I'm afraid to use them but I wonder if Crane would be interested in checking them?

Dan Jones