98 votech 350 powder metal rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hadmtrst
98 votech 350 powder metal rods

Post by hadmtrst »

question; r these magnaflux able for cracks or does the different metal composure not lend itself to normal crack detection?has any one ever found any cracked ones ?I have not, maybe they are built that much better these days thanks HAD
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: 98 votech 350 powder metal rods

Post by Krooser »

Should be ok to mag...steel is steel. They are a popular rod in the 400-425 hp b mods...seem to be good for a season or two. My engine guy disagrees but put em in my kids race motor...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

They're still STEEL, you check 'em like anything else... The only difference is they aren't formed by pouring iron into a mold or slamming into shape with a press...

I haven't seen one "BREAK" yet, but I've seen a few bent into interesting shapes due to too much cylinder pressure, or hydrolocking. Still structurally intact, just a little bit too short :)
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I am surprised how strong they are, as so far in my Brothers SB Vett they are handling 7000 rpm and 525 hp!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!