kid7755
Pro
Pro

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by kid7755 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Barry_R wrote:
midnightbluS10 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
It is obvious that you have no real clue about how or where some of those EMC engines continue to live.

Several reside in cars, trucks and even boats and have for years after the running of that contest.

You may not agree or even like that contest but, at least know what you are talking about.

Didn't somebody build one and run it in EMC, put it in a car that put quite a few miles on it after the contest, and then pulled it out and took it back the next year without so much as a freshening?
That is mine. A 433 inch FE that has been in a couple Challenges over the years. We built it, competed successfully, and then brought it back and installed it in my car. Took the car to the FE race in Beaver Springs that April & ran it, took it to the Fairlane show at Ford HQ later that summer, ran it at the Detroit Dragway Reunion at Milan, and took it to the Woodward Cruise. Basically made sure that the car with that engine was visible at lots of places. Then we pulled it out & changed just the cam (did not even pull the intake - held the lifters up with tag wire) and entered it into the following year's Challenge. Cam change was because they lowered the RPM range for that particular year. After that run - again reasonably competitive - it went back into the car where it still resides. Although its getting really tired with well over 300 dyno pulls and several dozen passes, it still ran an 11.0 in my 3700 lb streeter Torino a short while ago - smoking like a train and really deserving a true freshening. The whole point was to prove that these are not fragile dyno queens.
Correct me if I'm wrong Barry. But I believe you had pics of the old girl pullin wheelies with the emc engine in it too! A very street worthy bad mamajamma!

midnightbluS10

Post by midnightbluS10 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:09 am

Barry_R wrote:
midnightbluS10 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
It is obvious that you have no real clue about how or where some of those EMC engines continue to live.

Several reside in cars, trucks and even boats and have for years after the running of that contest.

You may not agree or even like that contest but, at least know what you are talking about.

Didn't somebody build one and run it in EMC, put it in a car that put quite a few miles on it after the contest, and then pulled it out and took it back the next year without so much as a freshening?
That is mine. A 433 inch FE that has been in a couple Challenges over the years. We built it, competed successfully, and then brought it back and installed it in my car. Took the car to the FE race in Beaver Springs that April & ran it, took it to the Fairlane show at Ford HQ later that summer, ran it at the Detroit Dragway Reunion at Milan, and took it to the Woodward Cruise. Basically made sure that the car with that engine was visible at lots of places. Then we pulled it out & changed just the cam (did not even pull the intake - held the lifters up with tag wire) and entered it into the following year's Challenge. Cam change was because they lowered the RPM range for that particular year. After that run - again reasonably competitive - it went back into the car where it still resides. Although its getting really tired with well over 300 dyno pulls and several dozen passes, it still ran an 11.0 in my 3700 lb streeter Torino a short while ago - smoking like a train and really deserving a true freshening. The whole point was to prove that these are not fragile dyno queens.

Thank you, Barry. Awesome engine. I did remember you changing cams, also, but wasn't sure I was recalling correctly. Thanks for the clarification.

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 am

Walter R. Malik wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:unlike emc where most if not all will never see a car, be nice to see one installed in a car, and driven

Walter is right. The idea that all the EMC engines are fragile dyno queens is completely wrong.

We've raced our 2011 entry, and had it on the dyno a lot since the EMC.

Randy

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

In responce to Walter, Randy 331 wrote:-

Walter is right. The idea that all the EMC engines are fragile dyno queens is completely wrong.

We've raced our 2011 entry, and had it on the dyno a lot since the EMC.

Randy

Making sure that an engine will be reliable can put the brakes on an all out build but I think that's the way it should be. Grenade motors are not a lot of use for those of us with limited budgets.

Last years 572 build for GM could have been at least 50 hp more if it was not for the 50 hour reliability test. Thats wide open and walk away from it for 50 hours(in case that was not obvious).

My most agressive reliability test was with an N2O BBC. To show the customer it was reliable I fed 80lbs of blue bottle gas through it in one push.
Had enough boiling water from the dyno to make about 600 gallons of coffee!!
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 4 weeks. My shop or your shop. Contact seminar organizer at marvingvx@gmail.com for details.

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Greg,

Any chance we can get at least some idea of the smallest CID build THAT WILL BE ALLOWED???
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 4 weeks. My shop or your shop. Contact seminar organizer at marvingvx@gmail.com for details.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 pm

David Vizard wrote:...Last years 572 build for GM could have been at least 50 hp more if it was not for the 50 hour reliability test. Thats wide open and walk away from it for 50 hours(in case that was not obvious)... DV
And budget for over 3,000 gallons of fuel! #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 am

MadBill wrote:
David Vizard wrote:...Last years 572 build for GM could have been at least 50 hp more if it was not for the 50 hour reliability test. Thats wide open and walk away from it for 50 hours(in case that was not obvious)... DV
And budget for over 3,000 gallons of fuel! #-o
Just think of the fuel used by a 3500 hp Pratt & Whitney 28 cylinder 4360 for the 1000 hour test!!

Greg,

Anything to report????????????????????

Any in advance of PRI rules to report or even hint of????

DV

CGT
Expert
Expert

Post by CGT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:46 am

Yeah I'm interested as well!!!!

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 pm

CGT wrote:Yeah I'm interested as well!!!!
Please lets not leave just those few of us (CGT AND MYSELF) requesting ealier event rules out in the dark here.

Greg why can we not get the rules ASAP here???
DV

Rick360
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick360 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:13 pm

AND LET'S ALL USE REALLY BIG LETTERS AND LOTS OF COLOR SO EVERYBODY WILL SEE WHAT WE WRITE
Wow
:lol:

Rick

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Rick360 wrote:AND LET'S ALL USE REALLY BIG LETTERS AND LOTS OF COLOR SO EVERYBODY WILL SEE WHAT WE WRITE
Wow
:lol:

Rick
Good Idea -we would not want to go unoticed would we?
DV

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Personally ... I think Greg and everyone who else is involved are learning just how difficult it can become putting a rules package together which is equitable to as many engine brands as possible to get a level playing field.

I have faith they will get there but, certainly not quickly.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 pm

The rules are petty much set, but not set in stone. Creativity has been the guiding light. We don't want to release our
rules before PRI and show our hand to those running the EMC before they relaese their rules at PRI for 2018.
It's hard to please everybody, but the good news is that starting the following year (2019) we will have two contests, two
weeks in a row in October (maybe even three events) with different rules so we can cover different engine build levels.
Don't hesitate to put your ideas forward.
http://www.raceenginechallenge.com

Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 am

Greg,

I like that idea.

While I am at PRI this year I am going to attempt to round up some contingency price money for subcatagories. For instance someone may enter with a 427 small block that is a conventioal single 4 barrel engine that is well sorted and demonstrates a very good combo. Such an engine may not win but deserves recognition anyway. A grand for the best cast mass produced intake would not go astray.

DV

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 am

I have had a few budget build Chevy fans contact me with reference to minimum displacement for this challenge. They are saying that the lower limit should be such as to allow popular stroker builds compete. I think this makes sense. Why? Because a 383 can be built at relatively low cost and an rpm limit of 7500 would still allow a low buck Scat 9000 series crank to be used as well as Scat's stroker Promod rods.

About 5 years ago I did a 12/1 single 4 barlle carbed 383 that cranked out 542 lbs/ft and 649 hp. We did a quick test with 2 fours on a tunnel ram and bumped the output to 672 hp and 555 lbs/ft and that was a nothing special build in terms of parts used.

So I think a more refined motor like this should find a place in this race engine challenge.

Comments/thoughts please.

DV