Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by Walter R. Malik »

GARY C wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 pm
Ok!
I encourage all who want to jump in on this to go back and understand the context before putting in their 2 cents and if you want to get involved please let me know and I will PM you my cell phone number and we can discuss this as long as you wish but this conversation either needs to go off line or if you wish I can start a EMC "Initial Investment cost" thread...Thanks and have a great day!
I have been a contestant in all 16 EMC contests ... I think I understand and am aware of the context of the costs.

It is plain to see that you would not enter such a contest.
Where and how you spend your money is your prerogative; your prerogatives won't be an influence upon any body else and no one here even cares about your prerogatives, or anyone else' for that matter, to warrant any further discussion about the finances involved.
Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion about this kind of thing. It is just that ... your own opinion.

EDIT: Oh yea, Have a nice day ...!
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

This kind of crap certainly does not need to continue clogging-up Greg's thread about his own coming contest.

We really should get back to what he intended it to be ... ideas about HIS contest.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:12 pm
GARY C wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 pm
Ok!
I encourage all who want to jump in on this to go back and understand the context before putting in their 2 cents and if you want to get involved please let me know and I will PM you my cell phone number and we can discuss this as long as you wish but this conversation either needs to go off line or if you wish I can start a EMC "Initial Investment cost" thread...Thanks and have a great day!
I have been a contestant in all 16 EMC contests ... I think I understand and am aware of the context of the costs.

It is plain to see that you would not enter such a contest.
Where and how you spend your money is your prerogative; your prerogatives won't be an influence upon any body else and no one here even cares about your prerogatives, or anyone else' for that matter, to warrant any further discussion about the finances involved.
Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion about this kind of thing. It is just that ... your own opinion.

EDIT: Oh yea, Have a nice day ...!
That is a fact!
Every engine I have built had a car waiting for it, my only concern was that it does what is intended and runs the number needed. I have learned some useful info on the dyno and it is a valuable tool.

I have never met a successful business man that did not factor in all cost to make sure that the investment is worth the cost. This is actually very relevant to Greg's competition because if cost is not factored in then it is not likely the competitor will be prepared or stand a chance of winning and could actually do more harm than good for his business

You can bet your but that Joe knows exactly what was spent and I would be very surprised if it is not part of his tax write off at the end of the year right down to the last dollar...Actually if I built engines for a living I would be more inclined to be involved because having fun and writing it off on your taxes doesn't get any better.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Look at all the "certain authors" mice jump on the guys that won the comp to nit pick the dumb shit, do you think your hero dosent get free parts if he puts the manu in the book? Or is it because they dont have a website, some of the worst machine / race shops around have a web site to suck you in, or is it because previous posts of said builder/porter dont agree with how you have been brainwashed to build/port an engine. Far as im concerned they should be congratulated not questioned about their testing costs, call BES and ask the same
Tom
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

zums wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm Look at all the "certain authors" mice jump on the guys that won the comp to nit pick the dumb shit, do you think your hero dosent get free parts if he puts the manu in the book? Or is it because they dont have a website, some of the worst machine / race shops around have a web site to suck you in, or is it because previous posts of said builder/porter dont agree with how you have been brainwashed to build/port an engine. Far as im concerned they should be congratulated not questioned about their testing costs, call BES and ask the same
Tom
YES ... this is all about a personal challenge and the satisfaction it will bring even if there were absolutely no prize money involved. For me anyway ... I don't rely on outside sources to provide my entertainment. This is an exercise in learning and not about winning but, seeing what can be done with as little investment as possible.

I really don't care what anyone else outside thinks about it.
They can go play with their own toys and spend their own money on whatever; that is their business and no one else has any rights to that information.

Greg ... do you have any idea exactly what venue at the PRI show where your contest particulars and rules will be disclosed...?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

zums wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm Look at all the "certain authors" mice jump on the guys that won the comp to nit pick the dumb shit, do you think your hero dosent get free parts if he puts the manu in the book? Or is it because they dont have a website, some of the worst machine / race shops around have a web site to suck you in, or is it because previous posts of said builder/porter dont agree with how you have been brainwashed to build/port an engine. Far as im concerned they should be congratulated not questioned about their testing costs, call BES and ask the same
Tom
The Creason team Kicked A$$ and I don't know anyone that would say different...Back up a few pages and figure out what your talking about!
Could be that your in the wrong conversation as usual... Let me help! https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=210
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

The Creason team Kicked A$$ and I don't know anyone that would say different...Back up a few pages and figure out what your talking about!
Could be that your in the wrong conversation as usual... Let me help! https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=210
[/quote]

Im responding to you, in this thread genius, i could care less about general discussion
Tom
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

zums wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 pm The Creason team Kicked A$$ and I don't know anyone that would say different...Back up a few pages and figure out what your talking about!
Im responding to you, in this thread genius, i could care less about general discussion
Tom
[/quote]
Wow, I would have never guessed...thanks for the heads up and acknowledgment...Your smarter than everyone gives you credit for!

Shall we continue?
Please Note!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Guess it's past time to unsubscribe... ](*,)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

MadBill wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:07 am Guess it's past time to unsubscribe... ](*,)
Look on the bright side, this thread has Speed Talk 2nd and 3rd on the Bing search engine and DV is the only one here accused of advertising.

Gota love the interweb. #-o
Please Note!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm The biggest reason most don’t enter an engine challenge is because if they do bad then all the chest pounding and tech articles come off looking fake or wrong. It takes money, time, effort, and balls to do the competition because the competition will take everything. If you can say I was wrong and that didn’t work and be okay with that then give it a go.
Eric,

Got to say you really nailed it here. This is why you don't get to many writers who make a living entering such competitions because as you say 'if they do bad then all the chest pounding and tech articles come off looking fake or wrong'.

However there is another side to the coin. According to some editorial estimates I am read by about a million people a month. Since I rarely quote other peoples findings what ever is printed is most often due to my findings alone.One thousand totally functional
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

The first question that needs to be answered, is what are these engines supposed to represent?
Are these supposed to represent "Street-Strip" performance engines that the average customer can afford, or do they represent unlimited budget racing engines that only the well sponsored can afford ? Those are 2 totally different animals, and the rules would be completely different for each.
I really don't think the average customer will ever get to enjoy the benefits from a $20,000 cam development program.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm The biggest reason most don’t enter an engine challenge is because if they do bad then all the chest pounding and tech articles come off looking fake or wrong. It takes money, time, effort, and balls to do the competition because the competition will take everything. If you can say I was wrong and that didn’t work and be okay with that then give it a go.
Eric,

Got to say you really nailed it here. This is why you don't get to many writers who make a living entering such competitions because as you say 'if they do bad then all the chest pounding and tech articles come off looking fake or wrong'.

However there is another side to the coin. According to some editorial estimates I am read by about a million people a month. Since I rarely quote other peoples findings what ever is printed is most often due to my findings alone.Any mistakes therefor rest squarely on my shoulders. One thousand totally functional pieces of advice will go with minimal response. Just one bad piece will come back and haunt the writer who is virtually defenseless as it is -- in black and whiteand therefor can never be denied.

True I have many critics here but I often wondered how many forum posters have the courage of their convictions to put cutting edge tech they believe to be accurate to a very substantial audience. The point I am working toward here is the comment 'and tech articles come off looking fake or wrong'.

I spent about $40,000 on a dyno just so I could get an excess of test data to back up what I would subsequently put into print. Does anyone want to guess how many articles have to be done to recoup such an investment (in 1980's money at that). Let me ask a question here, one which I would like to see an answer from my most ardent critics just to see if I can get just one positive response out of all the negativity I see. By investing 40 grand on a dyno who stands to benefit from this and does so without having to lay out one extra $?

Let's talk 'courage of conviction' for a moment. The last time I put my reputation/career on the line in front of an audience of about 75 pro engine builders was at the Goodson sponsored seminar I did at Myron Cottrell's place (TPIS) just outside of Minneapolis about 4 years ago. Right at the outset I announced that Oil Extreme would increase the power output of a supposedly fully broken in engine (2 hours with Ams-Oil break in oil) with a substantial number of test pulls (about 200) on it. Myron assured me before hand that this engine was very repeatable. So what we have here was an engine broken in on a top grade product and subsequently used for a substantial number of tests with a top grade race oil in it.

Right at the beginning of the class I announce that I did not believe this engine has yet to bottom out on friction. What I offered as proof was a #3 bottle of the break in oil I came up with for Oil Extreme. What I said was although it was supposedly broken in the use of the Oil-Extreme break-in oil would catagorically show it was not by making at least 5 hp or so more on a nominally 400 horse motor.

Consider this:- If I was wrong here it would seriously cast doubt on the other stuff that I was about to talk on. Especially all the stuff that is not common knowledge to even ProStock and Cup Car guys. So I think even my biggest critics will concede I at least have the cahonies to put my money where my mouth is. (There was several ST posters at this seminar - please comment on this test deal).

To stick ones neck out this far takes a wealth of clinically done dyno data. I wish the average ST poster did their research as carefully as I do. Here is an example of the validity of some of the research that is posted and taken as the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth on forums like this:-
I am sure many of you remember what a pasting my Holley book got when it first came out.It was supposed to be missing many of the things that would qualify it as a worthwhile publication on the subject such as explanations of emulsion wells, air jets, calibration techniques that would work across the board etc.etc. Well the first person to do a review on the book was some guy who goes under the pen name of 'The Amp Nerd'. He did his review by reading the Amazon 'take a look inside' function. He never actually read the book.

If he had then he would have found all the stuff he claimed was missing was indeed in the book. Following this a bunch of forum posters made out like they had read the book and, in their own words, reiterated The Amp Nerds comments.

That little fiascoe cost me about 6-7 grand in royalties - and for the record that book won me a gold medal for the world wide best automotive tech book published in 2013!

Anyway back on to the subject of sticking my neck out at the Goodson/TPIS seminar. After about 3 hours into my class Myron came out with a carfully controlled base runs average with a very low mean deviation and a similar set of runs with my break-in lube. (remember this motor is supposed to be already broken in). Here is the EXACT WORDS Myron used when he addressed the audience (and please take into account that half these guys are as synical as those with a reputation for such on this forum and yes you do know who you are).

Still, I stray so, while pointing to a bottle now only 2/3rds full, he announces (exact words)- 'This shit works!'

I wonder just how many of my tech critics out there would be prepared to do the same - not just once or twice but hundreds of times!

Eric,

Let me focus on this other comment of yours because it is about as accurate a statement as can be had:- 'It takes money, time, effort, and balls to do the competition because the competition will take everything.'

Yes it will take all of the above but please note - I have already put not one but two entries into Greg's competition. I absolutely don't like being second best at whatever I attempt. Take a look at any of my books and I think anyone who is making an honest assessment will agree that they are the best in class for any given subject - not second best. I am pulling out the stops here. It won't be the first time I have had to compete in a big public forum. In my time I have had to take on the likes of F1 engine manufactures, and factory team engineers. Remember I am virtually a one man team here and even if I have on occasion had team mates I still make ALL the tech decisions. If I am wrong I carry the can 100%! As it happens I have ALWAYS come out on top. So ask me if I feel intimidated by any other engine builders that may enter this competition? A little thought before you do ask will probably come up with the right answer.

So here I am with two entries in Gregs REC. But it has just occurred to me that though I would take losing out on first place with much self critisism I wonder how many of my critics could deal with the possibility of being beaten by someone they perceive as a mere tech writer.

So, to my critics who are convinced they know so much more than I do, get your entries in and show that you do have the balls it takes.

DV

PS thanks Eric for inspiring these few comment.
PPS - I still have more to say on this subject but it is going to have to wait!!!!!!
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

This thread has gone too far off it's original intention - discussing tech rules for a new engine contest. Therefore, a new
thread, Race Engine Challenge II, will start and let's keep the personal nit picking out of it.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356