Comp cam xx or N series lobes?!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Comp cam xx or N series lobes?!

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CGT wrote: Am I missing the part where he "has" to run a flat tappet cam?
There are a LOT of people who do WISH to run a flat tappet valve train; especially street & marine enthusiasts wanting long time pleasure from their build.
They are not into anything remotely resembling taking stuff apart periodically for inspections.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

RevTheory wrote:
CamKing wrote:
Highstrungvega wrote:
What's your thoughts on rocker ratios? And spring pressures?
I made the recommendation based on your 1.65/1.6 rockers, and with that, I'd run 360# at max lift

If you could go to a higher ratio, and reduce the lobe lift(same valve lift), you could run less spring pressure
Shoot, I was thinking it was the other way around. Was I having a bout of lysdexia?
I was conflating two different areas of concern. I got 'er figured out.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
There are a LOT of people who do WISH to run a flat tappet valve train; especially street & marine enthusiasts wanting long time pleasure from their build.
They are not into anything remotely resembling taking stuff apart periodically for inspections.
I get that, but those are not the people that are usually looking at xx or n series lobes, lifter bushings, high rocker ratios, larger tappet diameters, nitriding, etc. All of these things are not something I usually associate with long time pleasure, maintenance free peace of mind, or price for that matter.

A simpler older school flat tappet lobe, lower spring pressure, and good oil, I could sort of understand. To each their own. Interesting discussion regardless.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CGT wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
I get that, but those are not the people that are usually looking at xx or n series lobes, lifter bushings, high rocker ratios, larger tappet diameters, nitriding, etc. All of these things are not something I usually associate with long time pleasure, maintenance free peace of mind, or price for that matter.

A simpler older school flat tappet lobe, lower spring pressure, and good oil, I could sort of understand. To each their own. Interesting discussion regardless.
You should readjust your thinking. Many of those people DO want that kind of aggressive stuff.
And, they have no trouble paying for what they want.
I get 2 or 3 customers a month who want 650 horsepower and want it to be almost maintenance free.

A pair of 600 horsepower, flat tappet, small block engines is almost commonplace in the "offshore type pleasure boat" crowd or a single engine in the "street rod" crowd... :-k

They usually never even use that power but, they want it and they have the money to get it.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Walter R. Malik wrote:You should readjust your thinking.
Well then...thinking readjusted. Thanks for the insight.
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

I'm on the budget and trying to evaluate what makes the most sense. There is also the looming possibility that I sink another $600 or whatever into the block and it cracks and Ive just flushed that money down the drain :cry:
You learn more from doing it wrong than doing it right!
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

that why you buy a after market block at the start.