Angle milling for reasonable price? Who can?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rewguy
Expert
Expert
Angle milling for reasonable price? Who can?

Post by rewguy »

The shops near me dont do it. And those who say they can, I dont trust. Who can angle mill a sbc 23 degree aluminum head and do it for reasonable? The one shop locally that did isnt around anymore.....thankyou! Im at a 68cc chamber, and would like a 57 or 58.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Angle milling for reasonable price? Who can?

Post by mag2555 »

It would be helpful to know where you live .

Don't count on such a compression increase buying you a bunch of power, figure on a 12 to 15 gain.
Last edited by mag2555 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

illinois, near chicago
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

and i have no problem shipping them.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Don't forget that the shop will need to be able to spot face the new angle on the head bolt bosses also.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

I realize this. I want all correcting work that goes with it done also.......head bolt holes, spot facing, correcting intake flange.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I used this precision level and precision diameter drill rod as a spacer to set up the heads. https://www.grainger.com/product/2ZVL5& ... 01145749:s
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Who can angle mill a sbc 23 degree aluminum head and do it for reasonable? . . . Im at a 68cc chamber, and would like a 57 or 58. . . . I want all correcting work that goes with it done also.......head bolt holes, spot facing, correcting intake flange. . . . and i have no problem shipping them."
Only slightly OT, but angle-milling has been around forever. With the plethora of 23-degree aftermarket heads available today, why then is angle milling still necessary? Is there not one which meets the OPs needs without all that potential error inducing hand setup machine work and shipping them around the country twice?
Last edited by PackardV8 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

There are a few guys on this board in the Chicago area, Koehler comes to mind right off.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Couldn't find anyone around me that would do it either, still interested in what others think it should cost with all the corrections.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

rewguy wrote:The shops near me don't do it. And those who say they can, I don't trust. Who can angle mill a sbc 23 degree aluminum head and do it for reasonable? The one shop locally that did isn't around anymore.....thankyou! Im at a 68cc chamber, and would like a 57 or 58.

You did not mention what brand of head.
Some heads are way more work then others but if the intake face is to be corrected is there enough material on that side of the head the V/cover bolts are not affected.

But part of the cost is to cc the heads 1st then after they are machined as well to confirm the target volume which takes time as well
I could foresee an easy 4-5 hrs of shop time depending on the heads maybe more if they need to be mounted in a milling machine to do the intake face if the heads have a raised V/cover rail.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

rewguy wrote:The shops near me dont do it. And those who say they can, I dont trust. Who can angle mill a sbc 23 degree aluminum head and do it for reasonable? The one shop locally that did isnt around anymore.....thankyou! Im at a 68cc chamber, and would like a 57 or 58.
Just dropped mine off last week with same 68cc chamber, the shop that use to let me use their machines is changing hands which makes me hesitant to have to let someone else cut my stuff but ive used this guy before and his work was good, just takes a little while, if you are like me get your numbers and specs on point so there is no gray area, figure your cut and angle you want set and make a copy for yourself, if you want to ship to NJ his name is Ray Ziggler 856 697 4275, you can tell him Tom with the bowtie block sent you
Tom
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I'm not sure what the OP thinks is a reasonable price?

Typically it's set up .125" to .000" for the angle, then mill the head,(lots of passes with most equipment) then correct the intake, then spot face and plunge mill the bolt holes. It's a lot of work.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Jim and Beth Writght @ Motor Heads Garage and Machine Shop
Maybe too far but he is an ethical business man and does high quality performance work and restorations.

300 miles away?

11328 Lagrange Rd
Elyria, Ohio, OH 44035

(440) 458-4111
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

On my ProFiler heads I can 0-.100 cut and pick up 12cc. I have to correct the intake face, but not the bolt holes.