lifter angle

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redgoldstein
lifter angle

Post by redgoldstein »

can changing lifter bore angle in and engine make more power has any body done this thanks
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: lifter angle

Post by hoodeng »

I don't know if this helps but some years back i used S&S off center lifter blocks in an Harley Sportster style engine build , the intent of the offset was to get the lifter roller away from the cams center line and offset towards the cam lift face , this was to relieve some of the side thrust in the lifter bore that was generated with very aggressive lift profiles, cam timing had to be corrected to suit, so the use of Red Shift cams without the lobes welded in place were used ,once indexed the lobe was then welded to the core.
This also had the benefit of setting the cam timing true to each cylinders actual individual timing points ,negating the stack up of error that occurs with gears ,drives ,key ways ,alignments etc.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

most lifter bore angles are used to get a straighter sight line for the push rod to the rocker arm like a BBC
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Tell that to the SB Mopar about push rod angles!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ingram

Post by ingram »

There is a difference between an off-set lifter and physically changing the lifter bore angle. Changing the lifter bore angle will also require an expensive custom camshaft based on the new angle.
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs
www.camprofiledesigns.com
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

mag2555 wrote:Tell that to the SB Mopar about push rod angles!
Especially when trying to run a hydraulic roller with tall lifters. Been there and I believe it was a suburb of hell.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Oldsmobile had "39 degree" and "45 degree" lifter banks, depending on year and application. I don't know of any performance gain of one angle over the other.

I can absolutely guarantee that if you have the wrong camshaft for the application, you'll have a non-tuneable POS.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

redgoldstein wrote:can changing lifter bore angle in and engine make more power has any body done this thanks
Changing the angle itself won't add any power however, what that angle change does to the rest of the valve train can certainly be the cause of producing more power.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.