BBC- No oil to rocker arms!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: BBC- No oil to rocker arms!

Post by ProPower engines »

What year is the block?? Some blocks have plugs in the lifter valley that I have seem many times get missed #-o
creating oil pressure issues.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

remove the front timing cover. remove the lifter gallery plug and install a oil pressure gauge and run your primer to see what oil pressure is in the lifter gallery.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

What rocker arms are you using? Have you tried a stock set of factory type rockers? Also I have seen the wrong size ball tip on the pusrods and it can dump the oil to the rockers before it pressurizes the rocker arm feed holes.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Racer18 wrote:These are Gaterman lifters, the oil holes are not in the side of the lifter, they are in the recessed band at a 45º angle.

Is there a possibility the path of least resistance exists here? Oil is bypassing the hole and continuing on along the gallery instead of feeding the lifter?

The "primer" versus "running" scenarios don't gel though......it has to be some difference between your distributor and your primer....
Racer18
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer18 »

I am on the 3rd set of lifters, 2 different brands. Surely I don't have that bad of luck!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

really the only difference between using your priming tool and running the engine is that the camshaft is turning with it running. And you said it oils fine with a flat tappet (different) camshaft. Is this a stock block? I know some aftermarket blocks require a +.300 taller lifter. Or do you have the +.300 lifters in a stock block?
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Racer18 wrote:I am on the 3rd set of lifters, 2 different brands. Surely I don't have that bad of luck!
Have you checked the oil band height as compared to your flat tappet lifters ?
Racer18
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer18 »

Yes, oil bands are in the proper location. I am currently waiting for lifter bore bushings to arrive. Its the only factor that I cannot physically see, gonna give it a shot. At this point, I'm up for anything.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

WP_20170727_13_09_23_Pro.jpg
Does it have lifter bore bushings now? If so, you may have to grind a small flat or small groove in the lifter. You may need them anyhow.
WP_20170727_13_09_23_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Frankshaft on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer18
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer18 »

No Frankshaft, its a totally stock block, the oil holes in the lifters are actually in the oil band.