Tunnel Ram and 660 Holleys

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

powrshftr

Re: Tunnel Ram and 660 Holleys

Post by powrshftr »

That's just how they showed up at my door.
He had this stuff stashed away in the barn since the mid 80's,so its very possible he just forgot which way they went on,and reversed the orientation when he threw it all back together.

Anyway,I will be sure to flip them around after I go through them.
Is there anything special I should be looking for,aside from remembering to restrict the idle feed channels with wire to lean the idle circuit down a bit?

Joe,you said the stock jetting is nearly perfect 99% of the time,correct?That should make life a whole lot easier:)

And good to see you George,its been a while!:)

Scott
Drive it like you stole it!
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re: TR1YX

Post by falcongeorge »

SBC wrote:How does the SBC TR1YX compare to the PRO RAM II ? TQ lower? HP peak lower?

Sorry bout the Hyjack.

Runners are longer and smaller than the pro-ram II. Look at it this way, the TR1YX was designed
when a typical mp motor was roughly 288 ci. peaking at around 8000 rpm, the Pro Ram II was designed 5 years later for bigger 302/331 ci motors turning about a 1000 more rpm, so the TR1YX is going to peak quite a bit lower on a typical 355. Take this FWIW, about ten yrs ago, Hot Rod tested one on an 195 AFR headed 355 with a 242 @ 050 cam against a strip dominator/830, the strip dom. made 491 hp @ 6300, 436 ft lbs @ 5300. The TR1YX with two demon 650's made 503 hp @ 6100, 452 @ 5600. Unfortunately they didn't give full numbers, peak only, but they also mentioned the TR1YX was an average of 17 ft.lbs up from 3000-6300.
I have a TR1YX here I am going to try out on my daily next summer, with a pair of 650 dp's.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Oh and Scott, while the mains are about right on the 660's, the IFR's are usually way fat, as others have mentioned.
powrshftr

Post by powrshftr »

So I pulled the plenum off last night just to see if the P.O. Had accidentally reversed it when he packed stuff up to shift.
No dice.The port match from the plenum to the lowers I'd way off if you reverse it.so it looks like I will be running the carbs inline and gabbing up some simple linkage.

Is there any real performance difference you guys have noticed between inline and sideways mounting?

I know it makes for easier jet changes,but going on Joe's experience,I hope to not have to change jets much at all after I get it up and running.

Thanks,

Scott
powrshftr

Post by powrshftr »

Joe,
I talked to my guy about the cam last night,and I was off on the specs.
It's a solid roller with these specs: 256/256 dur,.664" lift,108 LSA. These specs are with a 1.6 rocker,but he would like to see me run a 1.8 ratio on the intake side,and a 1.7 on the exhaust,to take advantage of the port's high flow at higher lift.

I can't give exact flow numbers on the heads til I get them in my hands,but he quoted 338cfm at .750" lift and 224cfm @.300".....Sounds like they aren't lazy on the flow down low.Hope they're as impressive on a racetrack as they are on a flow bench.

Does this sound a little more like a 7800rpm+ combo?Im thinking those 4224's should work well to feed this thing.

Scott
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Your cam is very short on duration but give it a shot

JOE SHEERMAN RACIN
jens gustavsson

Post by jens gustavsson »

love this! thank for all the grate info!

I have a old vintage vega race car (ex gunne back pro stock) and some old race parts from the early -80 some day I build the engine and race it.

292 heads pro ported, angel milled and offset poshrods. (have flow data 280cfm/0.700) 215cc 60cc. 2.42 min pushrod aria.

general kinetics camshaft c1R 323A 13993 (have cam pro + data) 286/0.05"/0.437" intake, 302/0.05"/0.421 ex

3.2" crank (small journal) alu rods ( 326ci)

trw dome 350 0.03 pistons

dont have a good 4 bolt block and intake and carbs. what intake can i find for it today? (VICTOR RAM 23° to big?)

PG trans and 7" converter and 14x32 tiers and 5.38 geers
(any info on a vintage 833 liberty geer transmiton? I think I now whare to finde one)

Im almost a shame 8-[ to edmit it is a volvo B18 in the car now but all the v8 engine monts is left in the car.

mvh jens
www.savarturbo.se
World’s fastest Volvo B20 door slammer!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

powrshftr : You are much further ahead by getting the right camshaft, then jacking up the rocker arm ratio.
You need duration, jut as Joe stated. to get the power out of the tunnel ram. It wants to rev up.

With that small cam you got , the T ram will make a hair more power than a single 4 bbl intake,
but you will not tap into its real potential and power without the right cam. ( duration)
You have plenty compression ratio to support a more powerfull matched camshaft.

As is, it will run around good on the street. But if you are serious, change the cam and rev it up.
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

bigjoe1 wrote:DISREGARD THAT POST--- Carbs are BACKWARDS in the picture---- MY BAD

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Backwards based on what ? Mine have the throttle cams in the same position and needle/ seats adjusters forward.
modified wanna be
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I am still trying to figure out how you guys are saying his carb's are not installed properly I have mine on this V-6 installed the same way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jens gustavsson

Post by jens gustavsson »

bill jenkins http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246343 "fuel inlet to the rear"

mvh jens
www.savarturbo.se
World’s fastest Volvo B20 door slammer!
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

1972ho wrote:I am still trying to figure out how you guys are saying his carb's are not installed properly I have mine on this V-6 installed the same way.
You DONT have them installed incorrectly.
The little info that article has says NOTHING about the "whys" of installing them that way.
If they are working fine for you now then you have nothing to gain turning them around.
modified wanna be
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

joespanova wrote:
1972ho wrote:I am still trying to figure out how you guys are saying his carb's are not installed properly I have mine on this V-6 installed the same way.
The little info that article has says NOTHING about the "whys" of installing them that way.
If they are working fine for you now then you have nothing to gain turning them around.
Look at the float pivot then re-think what you wrote.

Joe is correct as was Jenkins.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

af2 wrote:
joespanova wrote:
Look at the float pivot then re-think what you wrote.

Joe is correct as was Jenkins.
BS
I've run the 660s with the pivot forward for YEARS and never had one single fuel starvation issue. By the same token the 4150 / 4500 side hung float bowls should be subject to the same conditions you are suggesting. Yet they seem to work.
modified wanna be
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Jenkins used the rectangular float from late 50's carbs, not the D shape used in all the side-hung carbs since the early 60's.