Tunnel Ram and 660 Holleys

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Tom,
I do not know which metering blocks will work best. When I got mine they were already mostly set-up already for a SB Olds Pro Stock engine. I just had to change to the smaller fuel bowls becuase I had to mount them end to end. I also modified the carb arm for the better drivability. All Warren needed was full throttle when he had them.

I actually drove that car on the street one time for appx 3 miles to a parking lot car show. Loud with big open headers and the front 3 inches off the ground. lol. If you are old enough it was Featured in Super Stock & Drag Illustrated Magazine back in the early 1980's.

I do know that some of the Holley metering blocks will not exchange because internally they are different. Hopefully one of the carb experts can tell you. Or maybe even Holley can tell you or sell you the corrct metering blocks.

The front should already have metering blocks, That is where you will place the copper wires we talked about. The wires will be very short and you will bend them into a V shape so that one end goes in the PVCR (i Think it is callled) and the other end is held in place with the gasket. If you get the Holly Carb book it should show you exactly were they will go. To chage from too rich to adjust you just put a little wire in like maybe .015 - .017 - .020 etc. You use copper wire strand from a multi strand wire and just use one strand of it. I have seen many modern applications where I wished I could do the same thing instead of having to modify it.

The large fuel bowls with center hung floats work very well if you can mount the carbs sideways.

Ed
SandRacer

Post by SandRacer »

Well I finally decided the only way to get the manifold to match correctly was with splash zone. It was a piece of cake! there is nothing like perfection and with this stuff you can get it.

Thanks to all for the help,
Tom
toddcalo
Pro
Pro

Post by toddcalo »

D,oes anyone know how the team g super ram tunnel ram for a small block compares in runner length to a pro ram 2. I know Larry meaux Likes the pro ram 2 just currious what down falls the team g super ram has?
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

toddcalo wrote:D,oes anyone know how the team g super ram tunnel ram for a small block compares in runner length to a pro ram 2. I know Larry meaux Likes the pro ram 2 just currious what down falls the team g super ram has?
i have those measurements some where in the Shop
just need to find them !

one thing i liked about the Team G Grumpy Jenkins intake was
removable top and how the top was made -vs- having to band-saw
the old Edelbrock ProRam to gain access to Port then weld back .

From Memory, the Team G had a shorter runner length than ProRam
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
toddcalo
Pro
Pro

Post by toddcalo »

Thanks Larry that would be great if you still had info
vettef6
Post by vettef6 »

Hi, I know this thread hasn't been active for quite a while, but I'd like to know what you fellows think about what I did to the Edelbrock Pro Ram 2, so it can be used on my LT4 Vette. Don't know if anyone has ever done this type of conversion. I just need to know, what max rpm's can I run with this manifold and what can I expect to gain or loose over a LT4 ported intake with 3.5" runners??

Data of the manifold: Plenum 265 ci, runners just shy of 6" length and 266 cm³

I have a 396 with >300 CFM @ .600" 210 AFR heads, CR 12.0 and a solid roller cam. Which cam I'll be using I really don't know at the moment.
Peak HP @ 6600 rpm and shift @ 6900 rpm. My Vette will only be used on the street with occasional revs up to red line (actually, every time I take her out for a ride).
Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more about the Pro Ram 2 than I know.

Thanks
Arnold

powrshftr

Re: Tunnel Ram and 660 Holleys

Post by powrshftr »

I know this thread has been dormant for years,but I am about to put together a fairly strong 369ci sbf combo with a Weiand tunnel ram and a pair of 660's.
I would really love to get some more input and detailed tuning info from Joe,Ed,and everybody else on here who favors these carbs.
Also have a set of 750 tr carbs that my buddy Ric assures me are way better for street/strip use due to the change in design,but I would like to start out with the 660's,as the racer who sold me the carbs and tunnel ram put quite a bit of work into them,and I read an article quite a while back detailing the mods that Paul Blevins did to his carbs to get the most out of them.

Looking forward to learning more about these carbs,and what I should be looking for/shooting for in the tuneup :)

Scott

Ps:
I guess I should have given a bit of background info about the car and the engine combo.

-66 Mustang coupe (2700 lbs/2900w driver)
-26" tall M/T slicks
-3.25 first gear Doug Nash trans
-3.70 Detroit locker (run through traps in 4th gear for an effective ratio of around 4.56)
-4.155" bore block
-3.4" stroke
-5.4" rods
-12:1 domed CP pistons
-Edelbrock Vic jr heads ported to flow 330+ cfm by Bryce at Dr J's
-solid roller cam 248/254 deg 108LSA,lift will be determined by rocker ratio
-power should peak around 7800-8000 I'm guessing
-Tubular Automotive 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" headers w/3-1/2" collectors (I have both)
-Weiand p/n 1988 tunnel ram
-660 or 750 Holley tunnel ram carbs

The car will primarily be used as a vintage style drag car,with very limited time spent on the street.Hoping to run pump gas on the street,and race gas at the track.
Drive it like you stole it!
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have lots of experience with this type of engine. The cam you called out is much too SMALL =( duration ) to make your engine HP peak at that RPM== you will need something like 270-280 to even get close. Most guys go way too small on the cam to run the tunnel ram. , The higher you can rev, the better the T ram can work

JOE SHERMAN RACING
powrshftr

Post by powrshftr »

That's a good point Joe....The cam was originally spec'd when I was planning to run a 4.030" Mexican block,and was intended to let cylinder head flow take care of most of the "heavy lifting" as far as power production,but the extra cubic inches are going to eat that duration up and then some,and reduce my power range by a bunch,I guess.I'll have to re-think the cam a bit.

As far as the carbs,they have been been modified to bring the secondaries in a little later by opening the slot in the linkage,and they have been modified to feed fuel from both sides,with the manifold modified for clearance to mount them sideways.
Does this seem like a necessary set of modifications,or is this stuff all just complicating the setup?

The guy I bought it from was running it on a stick shift Mustang very similar to mine back in the early 80's and was pretty happy with it,so I was hoping it would have most of the bugs already worked out of it.
I have to wait til spring to do any testing with it,as we are at the beginning of a very cold,snowy Canadian winter up here... :(

Scott
powrshftr

Post by powrshftr »

image.jpg
Here are a couple pics of the intake/carb setup as it was delivered to me...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

The carbs are backwards if you're leaving the side hung bowls on. Big Joe mentioned the proper orientation many threads ago.
Pro question poster.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

YOU ARE WRONG--- He has the carbs on the correct way-- Levers go towards the fire wall

JOE SHERMAN RACING
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

DISREGARD THAT POST--- Carbs are BACKWARDS in the picture---- MY BAD

JOE SHERMAN RACING
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

powrshftr wrote:That's a good point Joe....The cam was originally spec'd when I was planning to run a 4.030" Mexican block,and was intended to let cylinder head flow take care of most of the "heavy lifting" as far as power production,but the extra cubic inches are going to eat that duration up and then some,and reduce my power range by a bunch,I guess.I'll have to re-think the cam a bit.

As far as the carbs,they have been been modified to bring the secondaries in a little later by opening the slot in the linkage,and they have been modified to feed fuel from both sides,with the manifold modified for clearance to mount them sideways.
Does this seem like a necessary set of modifications,or is this stuff all just complicating the setup?

The guy I bought it from was running it on a stick shift Mustang very similar to mine back in the early 80's and was pretty happy with it,so I was hoping it would have most of the bugs already worked out of it.
I have to wait til spring to do any testing with it,as we are at the beginning of a very cold,snowy Canadian winter up here... :(

Scott
Power shifter, good to see you finally found your way over here...
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

The cam you called out is much too SMALL =( duration ) to make your engine HP peak at that RPM
Joe is bang on, naturally!

That cam is too small even without the ram, a good 20 deg too small.