power difference between different brand cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: power difference between different brand cams

Post by bigjoe1 »

After I won the EM Contest, Comp made me a similar cam to show what I was missing- It made 20 more HP than the Isky I won with. That was when I started using Comp all the time.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

bigjoe1 wrote:After I won the EM Contest, Comp made me a similar cam to show what I was missing- It made 20 more HP than the Isky I won with. That was when I started using Comp all the time.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
That will happen when you compare to different lobes.

I'm guessing if his advertised and. 50 numbers are similar and his lift is same.. It makes the same Power. The engine doesn't know who's name is on the Cam.

But if Como cams sponsored me I'd probably talk them up a storm.. Just saying
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

bigjoe1 wrote:After I won the EM Contest, Comp made me a similar cam to show what I was missing- It made 20 more HP than the Isky I won with. That was when I started using Comp all the time

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I had Ruben Racing Cams grind me a different Cam similar specs both grinds were theirs.. One ate valvesprings and the other made less power.

I think frankshat is leading us to believe the Erson made the same or more power than the overly talked about Walmart of camshaft company.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Frankshaft wrote:To further elaborate about title, what's the thoughts on similar cams from different manufacturers? I just freshened /fixed an engine for a customer that I originally did from scratch. I think I have cycled out the last set of JUNK comp cams lifters from the engines I have built. Never again comp anything for me. Anyhow, obviously the cam was ruined too. This is a good running 406sbc, Dart block, Rhs heads, that I ported, it makes upper 600's for hp, so its no slouch. On most internet dynos, it would make way over 700, lol. Just a strong, basic bracket race deal. Anyhow, new rings, bearings, fresh hone, gaskets, and new Erson/Morrell super duty lifters, and a Erson cam, to replace the comp grind that was in it. Lucky there was minimal or zero damage from the shrapnelled lifter. Nearly identical specs. 1 less at .050 on intake, same ex duration, same lobe Sep, and same lobe lift on both in/ex as old cam, installed at the same intake centerline. I just had as similar of a cam I could, so no potential changes needed to converter, gear etc was needed. Any guesses ? I know I have heard claims from at least one speedtalker who says comp cams make 20-40 more hp than any other cams that are the same size. This Dyno also repeats 1 year, 3 years, 6 years, etc later like dead on, so, its 100% accurate. This spring I have freshened and redynoed 3 engines, that were originally dynode there, and the sheets and graphs would have overlayed each other to the point they were nearly identical.

Thoughts? Guesses?
Kind of an open ended question dont you think, thats like asking how much power will my engine make with 2 sets of heads with a 2.3csa port
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

MTENGINES wrote: I had Ruben Racing Cams grind me a different Cam similar specs both grinds were theirs.. One ate valvesprings and the other made less power.

I think frankshat is leading us to believe the Erson made the same or more power than the overly talked about Walmart of camshaft company.
Or it made more hp at a higher rpm due to valvetrain stability :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

In-Tech wrote:
MTENGINES wrote: I had Ruben Racing Cams grind me a different Cam similar specs both grinds were theirs.. One ate valvesprings and the other made less power.

Or it made more hp at a higher rpm due to valvetrain stability :wink:

You are definitely on to something.. :wink:
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Cpmp does not make the lifters.

If it is a race roller cam set up, that is intended for racing
it is up to you yo keep up in the roller lifter adjustment
and inspection. If you run yhe lash loose at right at or beyond the
lash point end of the lash ramp you sre going to pay a price for that, unless you dtay right on top of the lash and any change of.

Without details of both cams there is no way yo say.

BigJoe1 dod you give Isky the same opertunity to improve on thrir cam against the Comp cam?

Did Comp get a heads up by knowing what that Isky cam was
(specs) when they made you yheir "bettrr cam"?

it makes a difference.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I think someone may have been tipping the bottle :mrgreen:
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

if you dont compare valve lift profiles you will probably never know why the engine was different even with very similar cams on paper the specs you get never fully define the lobe.

also what is to say there isnt a difference in valve control that causes a change in output. you see people get changes in torque and power with the same cam by using a better spring
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

bigjoe1 wrote:After I won the EM Contest, Comp made me a similar cam to show what I was missing- It made 20 more HP than the Isky I won with. That was when I started using Comp all the time.
Comp probably just narrowed the LSA 1 deg. I've heard that's worth 100 emc points. :lol:

Randy
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

RevTheory wrote:I think someone may have been tipping the bottle :mrgreen:
Either my phone screen is too small, or my fingers are too big. 8)
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

digger wrote:if you dont compare valve lift profiles you will probably never know why the engine was different even with very similar cams on paper the specs you get never fully define the lobe.

also what is to say there isnt a difference in valve control that causes a change in output. you see people get changes in torque and power with the same cam by using a better spring
This is from a few years ago on a different forum. But if all someone looked at was different lifter raise points and duration, these would be the same lobe. :shock:

Stan
ab-cam-sym-asym.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I gave Chet Herbert a very good Isky cam to copy, and his copy was 20 HP LEES than the real thing from Isky- So much for the exact same thing

JOE SHERMAN RACING
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

bigjoe1 wrote:I gave Chet Herbert a very good Isky cam to copy, and his copy was 20 HP LEES than the real thing from Isky- So much for the exact same thing

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Isn't it interesting how a person may not believe something, but that doesn't make it any less true :-k

I'm anxious to try out Howard's new line that came out a month or two ago. I hear their engineer apprenticed under Harold Brookshire and "he's quite good!". Anyone been there yet?
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

bigjoe1 wrote:I gave Chet Herbert a very good Isky cam to copy, and his copy was 20 HP LEES than the real thing from Isky- So much for the exact same thing

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Well obviously the copy didnt turn out a true copy then.

I dont understand a test like this...different brands have their different lobes for different applications. You could take several comp cam lobe families, similar .050/.200 and lift figures to a degree, and test the cams on various icl lsa etc, and find various gains/losses in power.
Does not mean one lobe family was best lobe of all, just means it was best for the particular application!

So many variables a cam lobe is designed for