Could be the Next gen Corvette LS based 32V motor ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

carmakerevive

Re: Could be the Next gen Corvette LS based 32V motor ??

Post by carmakerevive »

exhaustgases wrote:Until they raise the speed limit to way over 100 mph on highways, and properly license people that really know how to drive and remove all the rest from the roads, there is absolutely no reason to need more than 150 hp to drive a car down the road. Now for a truck to haul a load that's different.
lol. Was this ripped out of the "politicians guidebook to mundane society"?

As someone said, it will be a V6. Like most performance engines will be over the next 5-10 years. V4's after that.

Displacement is geting smaller, not larger, and turbines used on sub 3L engines. look for heads to be shim-on-bucket valvetrains, and have intake and exhaust manifolds cast into them from factory. And sintered/silitec bore liners.

Long live the small block V8 in the aftermarket.

Edit: One thing the OEMS are doing, is making performance changes on the transmission side. 10 speed transmissions will become the norm, making the actual power plant size requirement shrink to almost nothing.
"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine..."
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I'm in the Jay Leno camp on this. He's quoted as saying: "No one needs more than 700 HP to drive to the mall." =P~
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

exhaustgases wrote:Until they raise the speed limit to way over 100 mph on highways, and properly license people that really know how to drive and remove all the rest from the roads, there is absolutely no reason to need more than 150 hp to drive a car down the road. Now for a truck to haul a load that's different.
I have driven in Montana where the speed limit was listed as "safe and prudent' in the day time and 85 mph after dark
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

carmakerevive wrote:

As someone said, it will be a V6. Like most performance engines will be over the next 5-10 years. V4's after that.

Displacement is geting smaller, not larger, and turbines used on sub 3L engines. look for heads to be shim-on-bucket valvetrains, and have intake and exhaust manifolds cast into them from factory. And sintered/silitec bore liners.

Edit: One thing the OEMS are doing, is making performance changes on the transmission side. 10 speed transmissions will become the norm, making the actual power plant size requirement shrink to almost nothing.

As sad as it is, this is correct. I read an interview with I think the head nut for fiat and he said that all the OEM's were going to V6's and eventually 3 and 4 cylinder turbo junk.

I'm glad I have what I have and I'll be dead when all this crap happens.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

carmakerevive wrote:

The corvette will never have a 6 cylinder as it's top available engine. I'll put money on it. And my other question....why would they go backwards to an LS when they just left that platform? Right. They wouldn't. Especially since there's already been an official GM document leaked showing a DOHC LT5 for the Y body platform and NOT an LS.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I might take that bet.
The reason I think the V-8 DOHC is dead for the new 2019 Corvette is:
The new platform is not a Y-platform.
The DOHC LT5 is just to large and wide to fit in as amid engine
The heat and fitment is just to big a problem as well as weight distribution.

Only time will tell at this point but my bet is still on a smaller V-6 turbocharged engine use.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

My bet is the next gen Corvette will be electric.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:My bet is the next gen Corvette will be electric.

If only they had a 450'ish HP base V8 that was light weight and could fit into a tight package. With an option of 600+ with boost....
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Warp Speed-----I LOL for 10 seconds after reading your Prius comment----X 2. Mark.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I agree...

Also NO one NEEDS:
LARGE soda
Double cheeseburger
Any steak over 6oz
Adult beverage of any kind
Swimming pool
Garage
Two or more cars
Tuck of any kind (unless your hauling a load of course)
Air conditioning
Heat is questionable too...(perhaps someone as smart as you can decide for us)
Indoor plumbing
Radio or TV
Internet
etc..
etc..

Absolutely no reason.............. :wink:
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Ok, that was funny.
Air conditioning: The best invention ever! Location, hell! I mean Florida.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Ron E wrote:

If only they had a 450'ish HP base V8 that was light weight and could fit into a tight package. With an option of 600+ with boost....
Ah, sarcasm.... :D

No one needs more than 150 HP in a car? Maybe so but for 1000 cc sport bikes, 150 HP is entry level... :twisted:
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

The 2019 Corvette won't lack any horsepower, it just won;t have a V-8. JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A friend of mine just retired from his very senior position in GM's Advanced Engine Design. He has more than 60 patents in his name. Here's a quote from his farewell letter: "I am leaving with a technology package project underway for the Small Block that will knock your socks off. I have it defined so I feel OK about leaving at this time."
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.