Could be the Next gen Corvette LS based 32V motor ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Could be the Next gen Corvette LS based 32V motor ??

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

Mercury Racing SB4 7.0 32V 4valve head crate motor.
Based on a GM LS engine block.
Mercury Racing / SpeedKore Crate Motor 775HP 92 Octane

Could this be a engineering exercise for the Next Corvette LS motor w/4Valve head?
gregsdart
Re: Could be the Next gen Corvette LS based 32V motor ??

Post by gregsdart »

Gotta love new high tech like this. 775 HP pumpgas, probably has a life span that is like a stocker! I could see a crate race motor with higher compression and hot cams making maybe 900, 1,000 HP and living a long long life, making it a racers dream engine! Let's hope the cost is reasonable.
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

What's the cost these days to insure a registered new manufactured car on the street with 700 to 1000 hp?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

one of the problems with off shore racing was the OHV push rod engines had valve train problems so this will cure that problem
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Way to wide for the new 2018-2019 mid-engine Corvette chassis.
This thing is very expensive and Mercury has had real trouble even trying to sell it to big dollar go-fast boat users!
It's pretty much dead on arrival!
If Mercury racing had been a little smarter they would have just taken a GM LSX 454 and set up a couple of twin turbos like they use on their QCV4 engine and have a nice small reasonably priced mild 900-1000HP lightweight marine engine! Boats don't need the 7000rpm+ valve train provisions of dual cams and 32 valves. Most go fast boats with their drive gearing and props use and need max torque delivered between 4500 -6000 rpms.

Look to the 4.5 liter DI V-6 twin turbo engine to slip into that Corvette chassis! Should make an easy 450-650HP depending on boost and cams. light weight small packaging possible and easy to meet latest emissions and mileage figures.

The more I study and see the new HiPO hybrids I am starting to think GM might be smarter now and take the new Corvette mid-engine vehicle in that direction. They can be wicked quick for power but can deliver much better mileage and regular street and highway driving manners.

A lot of us old "Rumblebutts" are being dragged kicking and screaming into these new technologies!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the price quoted by mercury is $30K for this engine. their 1550 HP version of the twin turboed DOHC engine costs $200K.
Pro-SeriesFab

Post by Pro-SeriesFab »

Newold1 wrote:Look to the 4.5 liter DI V-6 twin turbo engine to slip into that Corvette chassis! Should make an easy 450-650HP depending on boost and cams. light weight small packaging possible and easy to meet latest emissions and mileage figures.
GM has always been a couple of years behind Ford.

Copying the ecoboost/GT stuff is a logical step for them :mrgreen:
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Pro-SeriesFab wrote:
Newold1 wrote:Look to the 4.5 liter DI V-6 twin turbo engine to slip into that Corvette chassis! Should make an easy 450-650HP depending on boost and cams. light weight small packaging possible and easy to meet latest emissions and mileage figures.
GM has always been a couple of years behind Ford.

Copying the ecoboost/GT stuff is a logical step for them :mrgreen:
read this about the ecoboost and MPG. https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2015 ... er-v8.html. friends who have ecoboost and are honest tell the same story.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Newold1 wrote:If Mercury racing had been a little smarter they would have just taken a GM LSX 454 and set up a couple of twin turbos like they use on their QCV4 engine and have a nice small reasonably priced mild 900-1000HP lightweight marine engine! Boats don't need the 7000rpm+ valve train provisions of dual cams and 32 valves. Most go fast boats with their drive gearing and props use and need max torque delivered between 4500 -6000 rpms.
That Mercury twin turbo system with the tri-y cast manifolds is pretty clever. It can accommodate a wide range of usable rpms without any blowdown interference problems.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

exhaustgases wrote:Until they raise the speed limit to way over 100 mph on highways, and properly license people that really know how to drive and remove all the rest from the roads, there is absolutely no reason to need more than 150 hp to drive a car down the road. Now for a truck to haul a load that's different.
So your Prius fits you nicely then huh?!? Lol
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

exhaustgases wrote:Until they raise the speed limit to way over 100 mph on highways, and properly license people that really know how to drive and remove all the rest from the roads, there is absolutely no reason to need more than 150 hp to drive a car down the road. Now for a truck to haul a load that's different.
people like to do track days with their performance cars. the mrs and I doing fast laps at watkin glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Unreal.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

It is not intended for a boat..It is not a boat motor. I think they should offer it without the EFI induction installed so that hot rodders could use their own induction.
You know mine would have a tunnel ram and 2 AFB's... :mrgreen:

Ya it is a bit pricey. Offering it in "long block form" without the EFI induction would be one way of adding afford-ability to the offer. Let the aftermarket develop various induction systems
exhaust and custom grind cams for it.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A modified supercharged variant would be wild...... Drag Racing? Drag boat? Road racing?

Mercury Racing should consider letting Edelbrock or SpeedKore offer the 4V heads- top end as a kit and or with various inductions (EFI) (Carbed)
so hotrodders / racers can build their own using the GM 7.0 liter LS block as a base.
Note it does not have variable valve timing or hydraulic valve lash adjustment management.
its made for racing- hotrodding. But these systems may be able to be adapted-added to this top end say if GM wanted to use it in a production car..
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

statsystems wrote:
Unreal.
Speaking for me... I like hot good looking women, fast cars and superbly tasty food. Do I need them? Nope... Do I always have them? Nope...
Do I still like them nonetheless? Hell yeah!