Could be the Next gen Corvette LS based 32V motor ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Could be the Next gen Corvette LS based 32V motor ??

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

MadBill wrote:A friend of mine just retired from his very senior position in GM's Advanced Engine Design. He has more than 60 patents in his name. Here's a quote from his farewell letter: "I am leaving with a technology package project underway for the Small Block that will knock your socks off. I have it defined so I feel OK about leaving at this time."
Does he actually own the patents? or Does GM own the patents?
When I worked for Toyota doing simple parts production I had to sign a intellectual property
waiver meaning any of my ideas, at work, were and became "their ideas" and their potential patents, not mine. Makes you want to not share ideas.

"small block" is he refering to the gen 1 '55up SBC or the LS motor? Which they now refer to as the "small block".

Those Mercury crate motor OHC 4 valve cylinder heads on a LS based block of this crate motor are their doing. Don't know how much if of any of it GM's work. or a engineering collaboration.
or.....
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Yes, his name is on them but signing over the rights to any future patents is a condition of employment for salaried GM employees.

I believe GM internal "Small Block" references now mean the LS family, since there is no on-going work on the original 1955 design.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

What's the difference between Ls and new Lt blocks? Has anything major changed in block dimensions or just additional quirks to support piston squirters, DI, AFM and the VVT?
DanE2

Post by DanE2 »

I heard LT4 for the new vette. :?:
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the wife and I both enjoyed doing track days in our corvettes . 120+ mph gets your blood pumping and you don't have to worry about the cops just burning off expensive tires. :D we did road courses, drag strips and oval tracks . did this for more than 30 years.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

exhaustgases wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:Until they raise the speed limit to way over 100 mph on highways, and properly license people that really know how to drive and remove all the rest from the roads, there is absolutely no reason to need more than 150 hp to drive a car down the road. Now for a truck to haul a load that's different.
I guess you all that didn't appreciate this, can better afford speeding tickets than I can. I've driven under powered cars all my life for that reason, keeps me out of trouble. I also like having decisive power at hand, comes in very handy. But like a few friends I have it almost took their lives too.
Not many people driving can handle high HP, they can't even handle a granny car.
How many here have rode in a '58 'Vette ragtop with Z-30 Isky cammed 375hp/327FI engine in it with a 4-speed and road gears up around 160 to 170 mph for 8 solid miles late one Sat. evening back about '64 or so? The straight down 2.5" exhaust pipe dumps were open... We never met a car!

Talk about a rush!!

pdq67
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

swampbuggy wrote:Warp Speed-----I LOL for 10 seconds after reading your Prius comment----X 2. Mark.
How many tickets do you get a year roflol?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Let's just say I have my sources and hunches but I will tell you that this engine may not show up in its final version in the 2018 mid-engine Corvette, but the word is that its development and results have been quite good and that a 4.2L version on turbo is capable of easily over 800 HP and and a 10,000 rpm safe redline! It's a 72 degree, twin four cylinder inlines in one block housing with a flat plane crankshaft. apparently the original vibration fears were eliminated and the emissions and durability results were in line with 2022 specifications and requirements. "THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!" So say my sources! :shock:

Here's a look at where it came from:
powertec-rp-macrobook-v8.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

The base engine will be called the LT-6. 90* 5.5L DOHC v-8. The turbo version will be the LT-7.
They will be big bore space, short stroke and deck height.
You heard it here first! LOL
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

The next Corvette will be electric in order to avoid issues with actual emission testing. :lol:
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Newold1 wrote:Let's just say I have my sources and hunches but I will tell you that this engine may not show up in its final version in the 2018 mid-engine Corvette, but the word is that its development and results have been quite good and that a 4.2L version on turbo is capable of easily over 800 HP and and a 10,000 rpm safe redline! It's a 72 degree, twin four cylinder inlines in one block housing with a flat plane crankshaft. apparently the original vibration fears were eliminated and the emissions and durability results were in line with 2022 specifications and requirements. "THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!" So say my sources! :shock:

Here's a look at where it came from:powertec-rp-macrobook-v8.pdf
Wow! Those look pretty nice!
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
SHARKBITEATTACK

Post by SHARKBITEATTACK »

I saw one of these at SEMA, in a Ford chassis...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo8IrCVMSvY

I still don't get why GM didn't give us a successor to the LS7. I'm sure the latest Gen LT4 and LT5 are sweet but there's something to be said about N/A power. Fingers crossed we get an LT7, something to dethrone Ford's Flat plane voodoo
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

That's Mercury Marine(Racings) adventure into producing expensive N/A variant engines. I Don't think it will fly in the long run.

Two reasons in my small mind,

One, Checkout its overall width. :shock:

Two, At over $30K a pop it just can't compete with the LSX and LT variants especially when you compare HP versus dollars. :!:

JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

exhaustgases wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 am Until they raise the speed limit to way over 100 mph on highways, and properly license people that really know how to drive and remove all the rest from the roads, there is absolutely no reason to need more than 150 hp to drive a car down the road. Now for a truck to haul a load that's different.
i never worried much about speed limits. a 900 to 1000 hp street car sounds about right to me