thanks for any feedback
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
jred
Expert
Expert

Re: spiralocks

Post by jred »

most guys will say no but i have had to use them over on some apps if they haven't been over stretched and the lock is not beat up meaning the lock is not beat for the pin banging against it and they go in the piston tight i have used them with no problems..

sometimes you have a set of pistons mounted and have to take them back off or you have a recent build and have it apart for some reason and need to take the pistons back off I see no reason that you can't reuse them
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I've read it and seen videos both ways: "Never re-use Spiralocks." and "To install a Spiralock, dig in your thumbnails and stretch it to a half inch or so coil height, then screw it it into the groove." I don't see how stretching could hurt, nor what failure mode usage could cause.. :-k

Either way, it gives one a better appreciation of wire locks.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I re use them in non loaded areas like transmission float washer retention , pinion shaft bearing retention where there is no end loading ,also there is to be no deformation of the Spirolox being reused .The stretch to open the coils and install method is used primarily for ease of installation . I don't reuse any type of retainer on a piston.{those three turn crimped Spirolox are a bi ch} .
Years ago i made the tool Spirolox recommended for installing internal gudgeon clips , i found it far easier to hook the inside rail of the clip into my fore finger fingernail and start it in the groove that way, then spin the rest in with a blunt pick. { i know a lot of guys in the trade stopped having fingernails years ago and converted over to having finger stumps}!

Cheers,
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

I've reused them a few times but only after an intense inspection of both the mechanical state of it and I don't have another new one. Never had a failure doing so.

Number one: tightly clasped coils, no marks from application of the wrong tools which will scratch the surface, no difference in coil diameter between coils, it is still flat at rest and absolutely no coating damage from either the pin or piston. Looks new.

The second rule is I need it now and there are not any others available at that moment.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Do what most people do.......call the piston manufacturer and tell him he left them out of the box.

Not having the factory anymore is very freeing.... :D
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Mark O'Neal wrote:Do what most people do.......call the piston manufacturer and tell him he left them out of the box.

Not having the factory anymore is very freeing.... :D
Mark, that is sad but true. :lol: :cry:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

mark i' am sure when you moved out you threw ALL that stuff away... by the way thanks for sending me sprilocks for that northstar!!!!!!
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

jred wrote:mark i' am sure when you moved out you threw ALL that stuff away... by the way thanks for sending me sprilocks for that northstar!!!!!!
You're quite welcome.