Cartridge water pumps for SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Stevespeed
HotPass
HotPass

Cartridge water pumps for SBC

Post by Stevespeed »

Does anyone have any data as to flow potential of Edelbrock's Victor Pro 8827. I've tried several times to get info from Edelbrock with zero results. This is with their own advertising going on about their water pump dyno, equal flow rates per side, etc. Power tour type application with lots of btu's and some street time / traffic to deal with also. Conflicting answers from Meziere as to whether an electric would work. Trying to figure out if the 8827 flows comparable water to a regular 8812 pump with the same pulley ratios or is the impeller cut down more to reduce high speed drag. Key feature I need is the cartridge as the front engine plate is sandwiched behind the pump and I desire the ability to repair the water pump without breaking the seal on the assembly to the block. Thanks
lewy-d
Re: Cartridge water pumps for SBC

Post by lewy-d »

I had the same questions for Edelbrock and got the same response. I did google image 8827 and the replacement cartridge 8828 and the impeller "looks" (google images) better than the 8817 which appears to have cut down impeller blades. Bear in mind this is looking at pictures of their advertisements.
Don't know if you've looked a Stewart components STE50005 cartridge is number STE50003. they've been good at getting back to me about questions.
Drake also makes a cartridge style pump for SBC but man.....they are hard to get a hold of. I think their Offy business keeps them slammed. Wait, I just looked drake pumps are sold thru Van Dyne engineering and they have a website http://www.vandyneengineering.com/003.htm
please let us know what you find out.
thanks
Stevespeed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Stevespeed »

Thanks for the reply. Tried Edelbrock several times hoping for a different tech or different answer but no luck. Have a full plate scheduled thru tomorrow evening but will try calling Stewart Tuesday. Jones is a distributor for Edelbrock pumps, will check with them also.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I found a flow chart for the high flow LS cartridge pump, 8896 I think. Depending on which cartridge it uses, it may be useful. I believe it has only 4 bolts holding it in. Looks like the 8897, which has the little short fins.

At Walmart of all places. Lol. I don't see why it still can't be accurate?

Flow chart

8896 pump
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
carmakerevive

Post by carmakerevive »

I've had discussions with both Stewart AND Edelbrock about flow bench data and LPM outputs on both pumps for an LS build.

Stewart was more forthcoming, edelbrock... not so. I had to ask to be put onto one of the "racing" account managers to speak with someone who knew what i was talking about.

Funnily enough, one thing the Edelbrock engineer did mention, is that the edelbrock pump (8895) was within -/+1LPM of the Stewart.

I've procured both pumps, so i guess we'll find out! :twisted:
"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine..."
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

Project Greenlight
Stevespeed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Stevespeed »

Been covered up with work. Appreciate the info. Keep it coming. Thank you!