Intake distribution issues

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Intake distribution issues

Post by statsystems »

Warp Speed wrote:Blanket statement Tuner, as a large portion of performance Holley carbs have a divorced idle circuit.

Oh crap...how do I tell a divorced idle from a non divorced idle circuit?
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Warp Speed wrote:Blanket statement Tuner, as a large portion of performance Holley carbs have a divorced idle circuit.
Name one. List # ?? I can't think of a single one, but I haven't spent the night at the Holleydaze Inn in a long time.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

statsystems wrote:

The idle jet in a normal idle circuit (non-divorced) is downstream of the main jet. The idle circuit fuel goes through the main jet before it goes to the idle jet. Both circuits feed from the main jet.

A divorced idle jet is totally separate from the main, as in not connected at all. The idle jet and main jet each have their own separate feed from the float bowl.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Tuner wrote:
statsystems wrote:

The idle jet in a normal idle circuit (non-divorced) is downstream of the main jet. The idle circuit fuel goes through the main jet before it goes to the idle jet. Both circuits feed from the main jet.

A divorced idle jet is totally separate from the main, as in not connected at all. The idle jet and main jet each have their own separate feed from the float bowl.

Ok. I have the non divorced system. Can you tell me what carb has a divorced idle circuit? I'm thinking Webers maybe???
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Hey Warpspeed (or) Mark Whitener do either one of you guys know if BLP's high end 4150 carbs have a divorced idle circuit system ?? Mark H.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

swampbuggy wrote:Hey Warpspeed (or) Mark Whitener do either one of you guys know if BLP's high end 4150 carbs have a divorced idle circuit system ?? Mark H.

I have a BX4 750 and it is not divorced.

Now, I would not have known that were it not explained here. But mine is not divorced.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

MadBill wrote:
pamotorman wrote:..
yes they do.
Excellent visuals in that chart! One caveat though: some engines don't fit the mold. For example when my friend fired up the new SB2.2 in his Trans Am Series Corvette, the left front booster would just start to dribble at the normal 2,000 RPM idle.

He called up Dave Braswell, whose carb it was.
DB: "What engine?"
My friend: "SB2.2."
DB: "Left front?"
MF: "Yup."
DB: "They all do that."
:-k

What firing order Bill ?
Craig.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Conventional Chev: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

MadBill wrote:Conventional Chev: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
Very interesting, I have had BBF's do it but its the RHF booster pulling over just before the LH. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 ,,, same firing 'pattern' !
Craig.