Push Rod advice(pics)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
Re: Push Rod advice(pics)

Post by Lizardracing »

Just cause no one seems to update these things.

The new pushrods were installed and a totally different set up made the car really fast last week. At least till the hole showed up in the oil pan! One of my spot welds broke from the baffles and pulled a hole in the pan about 1/8 inch wide. Thankfully it was at the end of the race and it never lost pressure or anything but it made a mess of the pit stall for sure. Today I removed the pan and found the ball inside the left side gate. Complete and intact. It appears the friction weld wasn't very good on the tube. The pan was clean without metal flakes or anything from the shortened pushrod so another bullet dodged. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Well at least the pushrod broke first, if the baffle broke and you took the pan off first you would still have a pushrod ball floating around in there somewhere. Taking the pan down twice would stink. Did you have to pull the engine or are you lucky enough to be able to remove the pan in the car?
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Tru dat!

USRA/USMTS type dirt modified so pan is about a hour job.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I would never use a pushrod with welded on ball in any race engines. you should use ones with a pressed in tips