piston pin bore and rod bushing wear - suggestions?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Re: piston pin bore and rod bushing wear - suggestions?

Post by A_VAS »

just chatted with Wiseco on the pistons...
they say at this power level, force pin oilers are a necessity. Seems like the wrong part was selected for this application

recommended pin to bore clearance .0007 to .0009 new, they recommend up to .0012 if desired

looks like I'm going to need a place that can drill some small holes at an angle
too lazy to make power w/o boost
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

A_VAS wrote:just chatted with Wiseco on the pistons...
they say at this power level, force pin oilers are a necessity. Seems like the wrong part was selected for this application

recommended pin to bore clearance .0007 to .0009 new, they recommend up to .0012 if desired

looks like I'm going to need a place that can drill some small holes at an angle
Those pistons are pretty trashed, are by far not what I would use for 1000+ supercharged hp, they need forced pin oilers, not broached...are those Pro Tru Street pistons?

For a dry sump application the clearance needs to be .0015" on the piston and pin like was stated, and a WPC pin should be used especially for a street application where you want some lifespan out of the parts.

You really shouldn't use those over again.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

thanks Nate

I wouldn't have selected these parts either first go around. This was a supplied short block from ERL, so they custom ordered these pistons apparently without the pin oiler holes.
I'm just trying to fix the mess that ensued. If these can be drilled, and pin fit...I believe can be reused. But might approach the cost of a new set...we will see.
maybe has something to do with ERL closing up shop LOL ?
too lazy to make power w/o boost