statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: RPMs for Dummies

Post by statsystems »

David Redszus wrote:
These guys should be VERY thankful they're not speaking German
Hey, I speak German. Zwei bier bitte!
.... the metric system is fine but shouldn't be used to pass judgement about worth
The metric system is the system used by science and technology, not plumbers and carpenters; they have their own. My vernier measures in both metric and imperial units and I can convert easily if I choose. Not even a topic for mild debate.
I'll keep my American dollars too....I don't care how much the rest of the world touts their superior currency...
Which currency is touted as superior to the US dollar? None I can think of.

We should give you a one way ticket to Germany if you love it so much. You can use the metric system and be right at home with the progressive, one world no borders crowd.

Your arrogance shows again. Science, no matter how many times proven wrong still must denigrate the working class. I can tell you are not a doer. Just a guy who sits on his ass and spouts rhetoric.

If the world goes off the dollar, like China wants, we'll be in a world of hurt. Unless we go to gold. That won't happen, but it should. Why is it the democrats are only happy when they can inflate the currency and drive down earning for people who work? That is certainly their history.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

statsystems wrote:
David Redszus wrote:
These guys should be VERY thankful they're not speaking German
Hey, I speak German. Zwei bier bitte!
.... the metric system is fine but shouldn't be used to pass judgement about worth
The metric system is the system used by science and technology, not plumbers and carpenters; they have their own. My vernier measures in both metric and imperial units and I can convert easily if I choose. Not even a topic for mild debate.
I'll keep my American dollars too....I don't care how much the rest of the world touts their superior currency...
Which currency is touted as superior to the US dollar? None I can think of.

We should give you a one way ticket to Germany if you love it so much. You can use the metric system and be right at home with the progressive, one world no borders crowd.

Your arrogance shows again. Science, no matter how many times proven wrong still must denigrate the working class. I can tell you are not a doer. Just a guy who sits on his ass and spouts rhetoric.

If the world goes off the dollar, like China wants, we'll be in a world of hurt. Unless we go to gold. That won't happen, but it should. Why is it the democrats are only happy when they can inflate the currency and drive down earning for people who work? That is certainly their history.
So tough, so manly. :roll:

Don't you have like a bbq to go to today or something, or friends or family to hang out with? Try, you know, to relax once in a while.
-Bob
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Maybe what we need is a reading comprehension test. Some people do not seem to know the difference between the "Engine Tech" section and the "Politics / Religion / Current Events" section. :shock:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Stan Weiss wrote:Maybe what we need is a reading comprehension test. Some people do not seem to know the difference between the "Engine Tech" section and the "Politics / Religion / Current Events" section. :shock:

Stan

Exactly. Joe90 and then his acolytes attacked the OP for his math. That's how it was derailed. They won't own it though. Hoffman is just another example.

BTW, today isn't a bbq day. If you served you'd know that.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

statsystems wrote:
Stan Weiss wrote:Maybe what we need is a reading comprehension test. Some people do not seem to know the difference between the "Engine Tech" section and the "Politics / Religion / Current Events" section. :shock:

Stan

Exactly. Joe90 and then his acolytes attacked the OP for his math. That's how it was derailed. They won't own it though. Hoffman is just another example.

I just came from a Veteran's memorial service where they had a bbq after. Though the ceremonies were somber, the social afterwards was nice and cheery. But nice of you to project your insecurities to the world.

So you know, you can lose the attitude (which you have had on display the moment you started posting on this forum). Otherwise, go get your PMS checked out, because it's disruptive.
-Bob
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

hoffman900 wrote:
statsystems wrote:

Stan

I just came from a Veteran's memorial service where they had a bbq after. Though the ceremonies were somber, the social afterwards was nice and cheery.

So you know, you can lose the attitude (which you have had on display the moment you started posting on this forum). Otherwise, go get your PMS checked out, because it's disruptive.
I'm NOT the disruptive force. I just rebutted ignorance, started by one of your buddies.
My attitude is screw you and your arrogance. It will always be that. Come look me up.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

I just looked back, for factual relevance. It took all of three posts after the first one for Joe 90 to run his mouth. He won't tell Larry Meaux what math to use.

Hypocrit.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

statsystems wrote:I just looked back, for factual relevance. It took all of three posts after the first one for Joe 90 to run his mouth. He won't tell Larry Meaux what math to use.

Hypocrit.
Yeah, well he was out of line too. As have I been, and as have pretty much all but two or three of us.

To the OP, sorry for derailing your thread. I suggest you look through Larry's post history as he has dived into this before.
-Bob
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

hoffman900 wrote:
statsystems wrote:I just looked back, for factual relevance. It took all of three posts after the first one for Joe 90 to run his mouth. He won't tell Larry Meaux what math to use.

Hypocrit.
Yeah, well he was out of line too. As have I been, and as have pretty much all but two or three of us.

To the OP, sorry for derailing your thread. I suggest you look through Larry's post history as he has dived into this before.
"Typical passive/aggressive behavior" Remember that comment? :mrgreen:
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

David Redszus wrote:The metric system is the system used by science and technology, not plumbers and carpenters; they have their own. My vernier measures in both metric and imperial units and I can convert easily if I choose. Not even a topic for mild debate.
That's the answer there.

Called SI

If you're a student, that's what's used.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

The International System of Units( ISU) was proposed for use in the US by George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. It was intended to replace a system that included measurement units such as:
lb
Oz
Gram
Grain
Stone
Hundredweight
Pennyweight
Scruple
Minim
Bushel
Peck
Gallon
Pint
Gill
Furlong
Rod
Fathom
Hectacre
Slug (what the hell is a slug?)
and many more, with a simple system universally convertible in units of 10. Though approved for use by Congress, it was never fully adopted except by the scientific and academic sectors.

The difference between the Metric or SI system and the English Imperial system involved much more than inches and millimeters which are length measures. It also includes consistent units for other measures such as:
Area
Velocity
Acceleration
Mass
Density
Pressure
Temperature
Power
Torque
Viscosity
Angle and many, more.

In US machine shops we rarely use inch fractions, preferring to use inch decimals or metric units.
In the areas of science and engineering, dual dimensioning has become standard practice.

Conversion apps are abundant so there should never be a real issue of which units to use. More important is to include the correct factors in the equation or formula.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The conversions that give me a chuckle are when an Imperial torque spec like 25 lb-ft. (which you just know was chosen as a 5 lb-ft. step between 20 & 30) is pedantically converted in a shop manual to 33.8955 N.m. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

MadBill wrote:The conversions that give me a chuckle are when an Imperial torque spec like 25 lb-ft. (which you just know was chosen as a 5 lb-ft. step between 20 & 30) is pedantically converted in a shop manual to 33.8955 N.m. #-o
Funny you should mention that. I've looked everywhere for a four decimal place torque wrench. None to be had. :(
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

Here: https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Now can we all get along?
- Paul
upinthehills

Post by upinthehills »

Slug is the American unit of mass.

I looked up the Hubble telescope issue because I though an underlying part of it was the use of those parts to build a couple of spy satellites. It was mentioned there was a problem of units, but it wasn't really a conversion issue. As David Redszus says that just requires converting, not really an issue. There was an interesting paper written about this which labeled it a social failure, not a technical one. All of these organizations are full of very bright people. The paper says that most of what goes wrong in projects is how people relate to each other. In the case of the Hubble there was a correspondence between the contractor and Nasa that gave a number to an answer but did not specify the units...

https://www.techworld.com.au/article/42 ... rn_from_it

It's sort of interesting because this thread seems an example of what they are talking about...