RPMs for Dummies

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: RPMs for Dummies

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Personally, I think that's pretty damn cool that you figured all this out yourself. And I thought I was smart. Lol. This website has shown me that IS NOT the case Lmao. I've got A LOT to learn. Definitely my favorite place to go for tech info. The guys here are amazing, IMHO.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

statsystems wrote:
I was in school when it changed and I can use both. The metric system is a dumbed down deal so any retarded third grader can add and divide by ten.

Show me a kid today who can make change for a dollar. If they can give it to you in dimes you might get lucky. It's the same principal.

And, for the record, the Hubbel telescope was done using fractional math and IIRC they went 10 places to the right of the decimal point.
That's quite ironic from a Country which has dumbed down the language so it can understand it and I know we're way off topic here, but he does have a very valid point. It is about time the measuring system is brought into the 21st century inline with the rest of the World who adopted it in the 70s or even earlier.
I posted up recently and converted from metric to imperial so you could understand it, but then got pulled up 'cos i'd put too many decimal places in and also got my shaft and bore the wrong way round #-o imperial just makes no sense to me.
Things will change, but I bet it's way over 50 yrs before imperial is forgotten completely.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Don't forget, the hubble telescope was another big failure and had to be reworked before it was any good.

Just think what it cost?

They still can't get pics of the moon either, nor the Apollo landing sites.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

joe 90 wrote:Don't forget, the hubble telescope was another big failure and had to be reworked before it was any good.

Just think what it cost?

I'll leave this alone.

Again, I speak for many who won't say anything but I will. I don't give a flying shit what the rest of the world does. If you can't understand why it's a dumbed down system, that's on you. I suspect you can't do fractions. The metric system is for people who have to count in 10's. That's first grade math.

BTW, when this country feeds the world, finances the world, educates the world , protects the world and makes it so you fools can run your mouths, maybe you should think before you write. Your country doesn't do shit. It hasn't done shit.

The sad thing is, we WON two world wars. Yet we don't act like it. Japan should be an egoist speaking country. France and Germany should be US colonies. Russia should be pushed back to the Steppes. Italy and Spain should be nonexistent, or at least colonies of the US.

But no, the snowflakes have given it all away. Your arrogance and your metric system are both pathetic.

What's amazing is some fool has to come into a thread and bitch about someone else's math because he didn't use idiot math. The truth is you are a blowhard TROLL.
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

joe 90 wrote:Don't forget, the hubble telescope was another big failure and had to be reworked before it was any good.

Just think what it cost?

The Hubble telescope was initially not much chop because they made the big curved mirror on earth where the gravity was acting on it when they gave it the required curve. Then later in zero g the mirror relaxed and went out of shape.

As for not being able to see Apollo landing sites, the required resolution is limited by the wavelength of visible light. Just like conventional microscopes can only see down to a certain detail. Same reason they use very short wavelength uv when doing the lithography in making modern semiconductors.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

statsystems wrote:

Just think what it cost?

I'll leave this alone.

Again, I speak for many who won't say anything but I will. I don't give a flying shit what the rest of the world does. If you can't understand why it's a dumbed down system, that's on you. I suspect you can't do fractions. The metric system is for people who have to count in 10's. That's first grade math.

BTW, when this country feeds the world, finances the world, educates the world , protects the world and makes it so you fools can run your mouths, maybe you should think before you write. Your country doesn't do shit. It hasn't done shit.

The sad thing is, we WON two world wars. Yet we don't act like it. Japan should be an egoist speaking country. France and Germany should be US colonies. Russia should be pushed back to the Steppes. Italy and Spain should be nonexistent, or at least colonies of the US.

But no, the snowflakes have given it all away. Your arrogance and your metric system are both pathetic.

What's amazing is some fool has to come into a thread and bitch about someone else's math because he didn't use idiot math. The truth is you are a blowhard TROLL.
Captain curmudgeon strikes again...You're holding the rest of us back from progress.

Funny the ones calling others snowflakes are usually in the midst of some sort emotional meltdown over a nonsensical issue. :lol:

The Hubble telescope was initially not much chop because they made the big curved mirror on earth where the gravity was acting on it when they gave it the required curve. Then later in zero g the mirror relaxed and went out of shape.

As for not being able to see Apollo landing sites, the required resolution is limited by the wavelength of visible light. Just like conventional microscopes can only see down to a certain detail. Same reason they use very short wavelength uv when doing the lithography in making modern semiconductors.
psshhh.. your 'science' is getting in the way of my outrage. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN! :lol:
-Bob
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

BTW, when this country feeds the world,
Not quite. China leads the world in the production of:
cereals
meat
fruit
vegetables
rice
tea
finances the world,
China has four of the eight largest banks based on assets and on capitalization.
China leads the world in industrial output, manufacturing output, agricultural output, production of lead, zinc, tin, aluminum, gold, rubber, wool, cotton, coal, oil equivalent, vehicle mfg, cars sold,and ship building. It is second in passenger air travel and busiest airport, and rail traffic,
educates the world ,
The US does not rank within the top 15 in primary enrollment, secondary enrollment, or educational spending and only 27th on standardized science & math testing. It does contain 18 out of the top 20 universities which are heavily attended by foreign students since US students can't qualify.
protects the world
Not quite. We lost in Viet Nam, losing the middle-east, Africa, and now the war on terrorism is not going very well.
and makes it so you fools can run your mouths,
Very true. Even the most foolish among us has the right to speak their minds (or lack thereof). Try that in Islam or California.

The sad thing is, we WON two world wars.
Not quite. We won WW2 in the pacific; Russia won in Europe. France and England should be US colonies.
But no, the snowflakes have given it all away.
They are much too ignorant to even be aware of current reality much less world history.
Your arrogance and your metric system are both pathetic.
Their ignorance and arrogance is pathetic. The metric system is not; it is the OFFICIAL measurement system of the US by act of Congress.

The above are all supportable facts and not opinion.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

China leads the world in the production of:
1. political prisoners
2. official corruption
3. complete hypocrisy WRT greenhouse, warming, toxic, blah (they say the same things as Al Gore, and behave opposite)
4. false monetary value to shift trade prices, kill foreign competition

Were we actually discussing the existence, let along the value, of a math formula for RPM (in only a few paragraphs)?
That makes Blair look pretty stupid, with his 1,000s of pages admitting he doesn't have an answer?
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

statsystems wrote:
joe 90 wrote:There's only 2 counties in the whole world not using the metric system.
One of them is in Africa.
Even the original inventors of the imperial system don't use it anymore.
America uses their own version which is "wrong" due to taxation.

Even "new" american engines are now designed in metric.

Yep, just like the rest of the world. WGAFF what the world does? Ridiculous.

The fact is, if you can't use the fractional system you'd be better off doing something else. Damn
These guys should be VERY thankful they're not speaking German .... the metric system is fine but shouldn't be used to pass judgement about worth...

I'll keep my American dollars too....I don't care how much the rest of the world touts their superior currency...
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

These guys should be VERY thankful they're not speaking German
Hey, I speak German. Zwei bier bitte!
.... the metric system is fine but shouldn't be used to pass judgement about worth
The metric system is the system used by science and technology, not plumbers and carpenters; they have their own. My vernier measures in both metric and imperial units and I can convert easily if I choose. Not even a topic for mild debate.
I'll keep my American dollars too....I don't care how much the rest of the world touts their superior currency...
Which currency is touted as superior to the US dollar? None I can think of.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

dont matter what you call it, an inch, and 25.4mm is the same exact length. who gives a ratz azzz!
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

what lefty o said
RamblerRebel6

Post by RamblerRebel6 »

midnightbluS10 wrote:Personally, I think that's pretty damn cool that you figured all this out yourself. And I thought I was smart. Lol. This website has shown me that IS NOT the case Lmao. I've got A LOT to learn. Definitely my favorite place to go for tech info. The guys here are amazing, IMHO.
Thanks, but it could also be a case of what my cantankerous uncle sometimes told me; "Jimmy, you come up with more shit than anybody I've ever seen!" :lol:
"Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity."--Roedy Green
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

So far Larry and fastvette are on the only ones that have offered a contribution to the OP
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

David Redszus wrote:
BTW, when this country feeds the world,
Not quite. China leads the world in the production of:
cereals
meat
fruit
vegetables
rice
tea
finances the world,
China has four of the eight largest banks based on assets and on capitalization.
China leads the world in industrial output, manufacturing output, agricultural output, production of lead, zinc, tin, aluminum, gold, rubber, wool, cotton, coal, oil equivalent, vehicle mfg, cars sold,and ship building. It is second in passenger air travel and busiest airport, and rail traffic,
educates the world ,
The US does not rank within the top 15 in primary enrollment, secondary enrollment, or educational spending and only 27th on standardized science & math testing. It does contain 18 out of the top 20 universities which are heavily attended by foreign students since US students can't qualify.
protects the world
Not quite. We lost in Viet Nam, losing the middle-east, Africa, and now the war on terrorism is not going very well.
and makes it so you fools can run your mouths,
Very true. Even the most foolish among us has the right to speak their minds (or lack thereof). Try that in Islam or California.

The sad thing is, we WON two world wars.
Not quite. We won WW2 in the pacific; Russia won in Europe. France and England should be US colonies.
But no, the snowflakes have given it all away.
They are much too ignorant to even be aware of current reality much less world history.
Your arrogance and your metric system are both pathetic.
Their ignorance and arrogance is pathetic. The metric system is not; it is the OFFICIAL measurement system of the US by act of Congress.

The above are all supportable facts and not opinion.

There is so much wrong in this post I'll only hit a couple.

First, native language schools are BOOMING in this country. There are Asians coming by the boat load to be educated here. Turn off CNN and you might know something of this. And it's not just Asians. BTW, enrollment is down here because WHITES can't get in because the standard has been lowered for every other race. That's why our scores are lower. That's just a fact. But your people don't deal well with facts do they?

The United States, by what ever measure IS the economy of the entire world. That is indisputable. China would be broke in a year if we closed our markets to their junk.

Lastly, on this Memorial Day, let me point out your ignorance of military history and knowledge.
The US won the pacific AND the war in Europe, even with that pole cat FDR, working in conjunction with Alger Hiss, a State department full of know communists, a phony general named George C. Marshall and a little pip squeak named Eisenhower sat back and ALLOWED Russia and Great Britain to do what they should not have done. Patton could have taken way more than he did. Eisenhower turned off his fuel. The blood shed by the decisions of the above named pole cats will be on their hands in the judgement.

In the Korean War, the post master cum president sat back on his hands while some British agents, namely a skunk named Kim Philby gave away to the Russians the intelligence that allowed us to know everything when it happened. Stalin could fart in the Kremlin and we could call him on the phone and tell him how loud and stinky it was, in less than a minute. North Korea had asked Stalin two times prior to attack South Korea and Stalin said no, because the US could see it coming. Once we lost our military advantage, the order was given to attack and now we are in a war. Truman, being the pussy that he was, didn't allow MacArthur to do what he needed to win. It's sad when the commander in chief has less military skill than a decent Sargent and he refuses to cooperate with and allow his best General in the field to win the war. We didn't loose the shooting war. We lost the political war.

Vietnam Nam...another democrat failure. Although Eisenhower put an R next to his name, we all know he was an FDR democrat to the core. He ignored the French at Dien Bien Phu, where they were slaughtered. With an absence of power in the region, the communists had a free run to tamper with elections, violating treaties...all things the communists do, democrats do, Asians do and Muslims do. Dare I add Catholics? They do it too. A democrat, JFK started putting people on the ground, but that wasn't good enough for the Catholics, who were losing ground to what they consider a heretical religion. JFK was not fast enough with shooting troops, so out he goes and in come land slide Johnson. Put on the ticket to help JFK carry Texas, and of course to use Johnson to rig the election. LBJ went on and started increasing troop strength, with no plan to win the war. Again, that's political. BTW, Eisenhower and Nixon both new there was election fraud in the 1960 election, but on the advice of democrat Eisenhower, Nixon let it go, for the ostensible reason of unity.
Next, in 1964, the establishment raised its ugly head again, and Goldwater, a true conservative was thrown under the bus. LBJ continued the escalation. By 1968, what was obvious to even a retarded third grader came to light. LBJ had no plan to win the war. In fact, in a 1997 interview, George McGovern, an avowed Marxist, admitted had he been elected would have assured a loss in Viet Nam. Typical democrat. Nixon was winning the war, both militarily and politically. His weakness was, his inability to figure out who is screwing him. Kissenger was leaking information (why is he not brought up on treason charges today and executed?) and because a military dictator named Alexander Haig (the real deep throat...the guy who fed Mark Felt information to feed Bernstien, who by the way was a CIA operator and probably still is) didn't want the civil government making a peace treaty with the Vietnamese, did his best to topple the Nixon presidency. We won that shooting war and lost the political war.

So, your history is wrong and your facts are merely your opinions, bolstered by your love for left wing fake news. I could continue, but you are too smart to open up your mind and learn something.

The metric system is dumbed down math. None of you have disputed that. None of you has proved that our system of calculation was or is a hindrance to us. It's just more left wing ignorance to dumb down a brain washed public.

And to all the VETS, who served, with pride THANK YOU. Those who never served can never know the sacrafice you have made, even for those ignorant of the facts. Again, THANK YOU.