RPMs for Dummies

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: RPMs for Dummies

Post by hoffman900 »

panic wrote:The problem with the Hubble, and many other projects of limited value and unlimited budget, is that the people working on it believe that the public should be subsidizing their hobby, and other factors are irrelevant.
Like all those racers who benefit from federal, state, and local tax breaks given to racetrack owners?

Just pointing out the irony.
-Bob
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

joe 90 wrote:Don't forget, the hubble telescope was another big failure and had to be reworked before it was any good.

Just think what it cost?

They still can't get pics of the moon either, nor the Apollo landing sites.

Its not supposed to.

That's like saying top fuel dragsters are a failure because they don't reach 400mph. They were never intended to, so the fact that they can't doesn't make them a failure. Same thing goes for the Hubble. It was never built to be able to take pics of the moon. If it did take pictures, the size of the object in view would be 0.002 arcsec. A dot, basically. A tiny, blurry Dot.

Might as well say the shuttle was a bust because it couldn't reach Pluto. The Mars Rover was a bust because it couldn't reach saturn. It's the same thing.
An object on the Moon 4 meters (4.37 yards) across, viewed from HST, would be about 0.002 arcsec in size. The highest resolution instrument currently on HST is the Advanced Camera for Surveys at 0.03 arcsec. So anything we left on the Moon cannot be resolved in any HST image. It would just appear as a dot.
For comparison, the size of an arcminute, 60x the size of an arcsec

An illustration of the size of an arcminute. A standard association football ball (22 cm diameter) subtends an angle of 1 arcminute at a distance of approximately 775 meters

So the size of a standard soccer ball when viewed from 775 meters away. Then divide that by 60 because an arcsec is 1/60 of an arcminute.

I doubt anyone could even see a soccer ball at 775m away. Much less when viewed from the distance when viewing something the size of an arcsec.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Turbo231

Post by Turbo231 »

Newbie here.
This post was on Don's list of Most Popular 2017 posts. I have been pouring through some of the older posts. Question I have is: how did this post evolve so far from RamblerRebel6's original post? I carefully read the O.P. and was hoping to see what people's opinions were. Next thing we were having a debate on whether to measure in inches or millimeters. WTF. Do people like what O.P. said or think it's total BS. I have no opinion but was anxious to see a real debate on the merits of what the gentleman put forward. No flames please :) .
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

People here have personal issues with others, and they try to hash it out in any and every thread possible. If it's not an "I'm smarter than you and this is how ill prove it" post, it's a post to take a cheap shot or make some sly comment usually. Been happening lots more lately. Seems like people need to step back, take their personal feelings for one another and put them aside, IMO.

Personally, I've been putting the repeat offenders on ignore lately, like Don recommends. It destroys thread because half of the posts are gone but at least I dont have to read all of the BS.

It appears to have been derailed on pg1 by one of the repeat offenders. Or 2...
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

It's a bit of a "rev up".
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I think Metric is a pain the butt in temperature measurement. Turning thermostat from 70 f to 68 f for example, in Celsius it is 21.111 c to 20 c in my opinion it is too coarse,I think Fahrenheit is better in this situation.
Last edited by amc fan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

amc fan wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm I think Metric is a pain the butt in temperature measurement. Turning thermostat from 70 f to 68 f, in Celsius it is 21.111 c to 20 c .
HAHA. I usually just turn it from 21 to 20 - or maybe 20.5.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 pm
amc fan wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm I think Metric is a pain the butt in temperature measurement. Turning thermostat from 70 f to 68 f, in Celsius it is 21.111 c to 20 c .
HAHA. I usually just turn it from 21 to 20 - or maybe 20.5.
Yeah, seriously :lol:
-Bob