What intake to run?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

d4490

What intake to run?

Post by d4490 »

Our street stock (dirt) class has opened up the engine rules for us next year. The rules state that the engine must have a cast block, cast heads, aluminum intake (optional), any gas carb, and headers with 2 1/2" exhaust. Any type of camshaft is allowed.

The car is a Crown Vic frame shortened to 108" wheel base, American racing tires, racing springs and shocks, and weights 3,350 with me in it. The track is a 3/8 med. banked clay track (large swepping turns) that get's dry slick at feature time. My current rpm range is 3000-6000.

The motor I ran last year is a 351w bored and strokes to 395 c.i. (4.040 bore with 3.85 stroke). The crank is a cast Scat with stock rods. The pistons are Speed Pro forged pistons. The heads on it last year are ported D0OE castings with stock size valves.

I plan on running the Ford Motorsport N351 heads next year. I plan on running the motor to a max rpm of 6500. I am looking at Schoenfield for the headers, either 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 stepped or 1 3/4 straight tubed.

What intake, header, and camshaft would be best for this motor/car combo?
d4490

Post by d4490 »

Anyone?
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-how many choices do you have for a manifold?
-What are they?
-You can't do much with skinny tires and dry slick so it should be real easy to inadvertantly actually slow down from trying to go fast.
-Where are you thinking you are going to be getting beat on the track?
-I'd think the car and suspension is about 3 times as important as anything to do with making power.