sbc solid roller cam for street

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tt 383
Expert
Expert

Re: sbc solid roller cam for street

Post by tt 383 »

Why not use a limited travel hydraulic? I would like to see them talked about on here by knowledgeable builders. Their is not much in Way of searches on here or google about them... Seems to be the best of both worlds to an extent. I have heard the Johnson limited travel are the go to?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

bigjoe1 wrote:I build solid roller engines for street and strip all the time, and I do not have any problems at all. The correct solid grind will out perform the hydraulic grind every time.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Big Joe 1,

Please tell him the cam to use!

I figure that no more than a SBC copy of CC's great old 288AR BBC solid street roller cam for a start...

BUT I concur to you!!

pdq67
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Monza355 wrote:
CamKing wrote:
Monza355 wrote:I'm doing a similar change to my 9.7:1 350 engine. I'm taking out a 244/252 on 106 Lsa solid flat tapper and swapping it out for the XR 236/242 on 110 lsa solid roller grind mentioned above. By doing so I'm hoping for better drivability without loosing power..
Unless you're adding over .100" lift too, you'll probably lose power.
No only about .050" more lift. But over .600" with the solid roller. For curiosity What makes you think it will loose power ? The decrease in duration or the increased lsa ? Or maybe bit of both ? The solid roller is larger at .200" so it should have more area. 159/164 vs 152/160 on the sft
Do not get all painted into a corner thinking or fussing over weather it will "Loose Power"
When what matters is if it gains or looses real in car car performance. EG 1/4 mile ET
Does it make the car it is in accelerate quicker faster even thou it is making the same or a bit less peak Horsepower. It may well be a BETTER overall match for the car it is in.
In terms of real installed net horsepower and resulting car performance.

The less ideal the car is the better a cam with a broader power band will work
Do not be afraid to tweek and move that lil roller cam around to get the most out of it in the car.
If it does actually slow the car down it will be a very small amount EG: 1/4 mile ET.
I bet it will run basicly the same in the car. May be a hair quicker at the track if you have good traction.
how do you use this car? Yup its going to idle and "drive" better at low speed "around town"
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you plan to jack up the rocker arm ratio (say 1.7:1 rockers) with this lil short duration street roller in a quest to get more net lift .600" ish and net valve open area and want to "rev it up" be sure to pay attention to the valve spring you use. You are moving the valve quicker and faster and higher and closing it quicker faster within the same "duration period". That requires more valve control (spring) The default valve springs recomended for that XR274R-10 cam are what they are
and you may need a upgrade for better valve control with increased (1.7:1 ish) rocker ratio.
This will allow it to be all it can be.
This is true for any short duration fast action cam that moves the valves fast and even faster with increased rocker ratio. You are moving the valves up and down further and faster within the same time frame . The time frame gets shorter and the open close valve forces increase with more rpm.

Light weight retainers can help in that direction too.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

F** all this shit and go with no more than an old Isky Z-30, 280 solid lifter flat tappet cam.

Or a higher lift one like it in the same family.

pdq67
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

And put a tunnel ram with 4.88 gears in it :shock:
Tom