Combustion chamber reshape open for scrutiny (attachments)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

englertracing
Guru
Guru
Re: Combustion chamber reshape open for scrutiny (attachment

Post by englertracing »

panic wrote:My point is not that I have an answer, but why aren't these factors being discussed? You can't buy a piston or cylinder head with any of these variables - does this mean they are already known to be meaningless or negative? 2-stroke engines had angled quench 40 years ago.
The squish discharge is (almost?) the only 2-dimensional event occurring in the chamber. Why?
CAD/CAM permits a dome with 1, 2, 3 etc. shallow-angled ramps where the dome exists now, coming to .035" of matching recesses in the chamber. This will rotate the squish charge in whatever direction you want - towards the plug, assist chamber flush toward the exhaust, blah.

Bueller? Anyone?
I wish I had the resources to pursue testing of angled quench in a four stroke. Would be interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38721&hilit=squish%2Fquench
panic
Guru
Guru

Re: Combustion chamber reshape open for scrutiny (attachment

Post by panic »

If you have an annular squish band without dome quench (common with hemis), the rising piston creates a toroidal (donut-shaped) cloud of mixture rotating around its own axis (a circle transecting the cloud's cross-section), and moving toward the peak of the chamber where it's close to the (nearly central) plug(s).
This could be directionally biased by simply making each half of the band (left/right, intake/exhaust) a different angle, or only 1 angled with the other side at 90 degrees (parallel to the deck).
Current H-D race engines use 20 degree bands surrounding their bathtub valve reliefs, some are even concave (radiused) with matching convex domed sections.