fuel line size/pump size for 600 hp, 10.50 et car?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rewguy
Expert
Expert
fuel line size/pump size for 600 hp, 10.50 et car?

Post by rewguy »

Im sure we can get by with -8 line, but what gph pump would be reasonable for 600-650 hp? I know people have ran the holley black (140 gph), and gotten away with it. But is this recommended?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: fuel line size/pump size for 600 hp, 10.50 et car?

Post by mag2555 »

The 140 pump is fine, it's the restrictive Holley blue regulator to say away from , as it's needle and seat has less flow area then the combined needle and seat area of a 750 Carb!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
shiftbyear

Post by shiftbyear »

I've seen fuel diagrams with the regulator plumbed into the return line after the carb, does this work?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

#8 will be fine for gasoline. For gas, I was impressed with the Carter Black 15psi race pump. It's electric, smaller than a Holley pump, and more quiet. Come with a nice rubber isolated bracket and it flows a lot of fuel. I wouldn't be afraid to try one on a 600hp car with a largeport regulator.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I run a Mallory 140 pump with their regulator (better flowing than standard Holley regulator). #8 from tank to filter, #8 from filter to pump, #8 from pump to regulator, #6s from regulator to each float bowl. Car ran 10.5s at 126 MPH weighing about 3750#, FWIW.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

shiftbyear wrote:I've seen fuel diagrams with the regulator plumbed into the return line after the carb, does this work?
Yes, you will need to use a bypass type regulator, I prefer this method as you no longer have the possble restriction of the regulator between pump and carb, you always have fresh cool fuel passing right by the carb so available fuel is cooler, you are less likely to get large quantities of trapped air in this type of system so less chance of fuel airation at the n/s = more consistent and better fuel conrtol in the bowl.
You need a good unrestricted return line to keep fuel pressure stable at lower fuel demand.
Craig.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

[quote="rewguy"]Im sure we can get by with -8 line, but what gph pump would be reasonable for 600-650 hp? I know people have ran the holley black (140 gph), and gotten away with it. But is this recommended?[/quot

If the car will leave you could have a problem with these street pumps, ever wondered why a serious pump has 20 plus PSI coming out of it, theres a reason, and the reason is to over come the Gs on launch. I'd do it right and never worry about it.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

vortecpro wrote:
rewguy wrote:Im sure we can get by with -8 line, but what gph pump would be reasonable for 600-650 hp? I know people have ran the holley black (140 gph), and gotten away with it. But is this recommended?[/quot

If the car will leave you could have a problem with these street pumps, ever wondered why a serious pump has 20 plus PSI coming out of it, theres a reason, and the reason is to over come the Gs on launch. I'd do it right and never worry about it.
Unless the cell is in front..
GURU is only a name.
Adam
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i bought a product engineering pump and regulator last year and i really like it. It seems like a high quality unit and its not noisy. Be sure to get one rated for continuous duty if you street drive the car as i do.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

rewguy wrote:Im sure we can get by with -8 line, but what gph pump would be reasonable for 600-650 hp? I know people have ran the holley black (140 gph), and gotten away with it. But is this recommended?
The Quick Fuel 30-175Q pump would be a good choice. You can set it up for internal or external bypass. I run one with an external bypass. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... /30-175QFT

Quick Fuel also makes a Holley-style regulator # 30-803QFT that's a significant step up from the standard Holley regulator. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... /30-803QFT
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

A 600 hp engine probably uses between 40 and 50 gallons per hour of gas at WOT. So not a huge amount of fuel.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

andyf wrote:A 600 hp engine probably uses between 40 and 50 gallons per hour of gas at WOT. So not a huge amount of fuel.
Early 90's we ran 10.15 in a 3800lb sedan using 1 holley blue pump , pump mounted ~6" above the fuel level drawing thru a factory 3/8" pickup then pushing thru a factory 3/8" line to a holley blue reg then into the carb. Consistent 4.5lb pressure, nice plug colour, all happy!
Craig.
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

tenxal wrote:
rewguy wrote:Im sure we can get by with -8 line, but what gph pump would be reasonable for 600-650 hp? I know people have ran the holley black (140 gph), and gotten away with it. But is this recommended?
The Quick Fuel 30-175Q pump would be a good choice. You can set it up for internal or external bypass. I run one with an external bypass. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... /30-175QFT

Quick Fuel also makes a Holley-style regulator # 30-803QFT that's a significant step up from the standard Holley regulator. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... /30-803QFT
we have run that pump and it is good, but they say it is not for continuous duty. I bought a product engineering pump for my street car because it is rated for continuous duty.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you put the fuel tank (fuel cell) in the front under hood with a single Carter P4594
6psi 74GPH electric fuel pump. Thru a simple 3/8" fuel line. No regulator is required.

Now with the under hood fuel cell you can easily BLEND your race gas with premium pump gas to get the required fuel octane and MORE CONSISTANT performance
and SAVE MONEY. Mount the Carter P4594 pump just beside or just below the under hood fuel cell. No regulator is required.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

cjperformance wrote:
andyf wrote:A 600 hp engine probably uses between 40 and 50 gallons per hour of gas at WOT. So not a huge amount of fuel.
Early 90's we ran 10.15 in a 3800lb sedan using 1 holley blue pump , pump mounted ~6" above the fuel level drawing thru a factory 3/8" pickup then pushing thru a factory 3/8" line to a holley blue reg then into the carb. Consistent 4.5lb pressure, nice plug colour, all happy!
yep,
it is amazing these got away with half the stuff they did,undersize fuel lines etc
craig,
a mate of mine that i helped in the 90s ran an ''A'' street HK bathurst monaro
fuelie heads
13.8:1 comp
methonol 750 holley on a victor jnr
10.7s @ 128mph on a 9'' slick
actually a competitive car in its day
2 x holley blue pumps through a 7/16 hardline
to a holley blue reg
i would not dream of doing it these days but maybe we are all over thinking it???????
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"