Rember the intake port texture debates?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Expert
Expert
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by BradH » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Check this link out: http://www.google.com/patents/US20110265770 It appears someone tried (successfully?) to patent the CONCEPT of textured surfaces in an ICE as "the invention":

"Abstract

An internal combustion engine includes a combustion chamber defined by a cylinder, a piston defining a piston top, a cylinder head with an intake port and an exhaust port, and a corresponding intake valve and an exhaust valve. The internal combustion engine further includes an intake manifold for supplying air to the combustion chamber and an exhaust manifold for drawing exhaust gas from the combustion chamber. The flow dynamics of the internal combustion engine are improved by including textured surfaces on one or more of the piston top, the cylinder head, the intake valve, the intake port, the exhaust valve, the intake manifold, the exhaust manifold, or the fuel supplier. The textured surface may include indentations, protrusions, or combinations."

Read the "Summary of Invention" section for a good example of someone saying NOTHING while trying to cover all the possibilities. I hope to He11 this got rejected for lack of any real substantiating evidence for the patent claim. [-X

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3277
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Carnut1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 pm

[/attachment]
0808171934_HDR.jpg
66 289 heads rough out with course burr. These will run with this finish. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

Smoke ring
New Member
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:21 am

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Smoke ring » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Looks nice Charlie. Did you bend a bit for doing your finish?

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3277
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Carnut1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Smoke ring wrote:Looks nice Charlie. Did you bend a bit for doing your finish?
No, it vibrates enough with a straight shaft. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

elvislee1987
New Member
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 am

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by elvislee1987 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 am

I've read through every single post in here and I like what I'm seeing and hearing. My question is, will this be beneficial for on the efi setup where the injectors are located at the flange of the intake manifold like on today's standard engine setups? I'm more interested in doing the intake manifold on these little Honda engines with the burr finish and this is what I typically work on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe-71
New Member
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:46 pm
Location: SA TX

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Joe-71 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:49 pm

I always polish the EFI intake tract above the injector. Ford extrude honed the Contour SVT intake, TB, and intake ports to increase the power. I have been porting and cutting the EFI plenums and welding them back together since 1987. Always had great success with a super smooth finish on the runners where no fuel is in suspension. I use 120-180 grit for most finishes, and occasionally I will go to 220. Joe-71

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by David Vizard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:54 pm

BradH wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:22 pm
Check this link out: http://www.google.com/patents/US20110265770 It appears someone tried (successfully?) to patent the CONCEPT of textured surfaces in an ICE as "the invention":

"Abstract

An internal combustion engine includes a combustion chamber defined by a cylinder, a piston defining a piston top, a cylinder head with an intake port and an exhaust port, and a corresponding intake valve and an exhaust valve. The internal combustion engine further includes an intake manifold for supplying air to the combustion chamber and an exhaust manifold for drawing exhaust gas from the combustion chamber. The flow dynamics of the internal combustion engine are improved by including textured surfaces on one or more of the piston top, the cylinder head, the intake valve, the intake port, the exhaust valve, the intake manifold, the exhaust manifold, or the fuel supplier. The textured surface may include indentations, protrusions, or combinations."

Read the "Summary of Invention" section for a good example of someone saying NOTHING while trying to cover all the possibilities. I hope to He11 this got rejected for lack of any real substantiating evidence for the patent claim. [-X
Obviously written by a lawyer!
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 4 weeks. My shop or your shop. Contact seminar organizer at marvingvx@gmail.com for details.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3277
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Carnut1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm

1008171849a_HDR-1_2.jpg
Forgive me for posting this in more than one thread but I want DV to see this before I send out his next shipment. After seeing cnc work on the back of a valve I wondered what could be done by hand. I grabbed a used up 1.94" Chevy valve and did a bit of burr work on it. Interested in opinions on this. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by The Radius Kid » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Carnut1 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm
1008171849a_HDR-1_2.jpgForgive me for posting this in more than one thread but I want DV to see this before I send out his next shipment. After seeing cnc work on the back of a valve I wondered what could be done by hand. I grabbed a used up 1.94" Chevy valve and did a bit of burr work on it. Interested in opinions on this. Thanks, Charlie
I like it.
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.

elvislee1987
New Member
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 am

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by elvislee1987 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 pm

That valve looks pretty good imo.

User avatar
bigblockmopar
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:53 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by bigblockmopar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Just my thoughts out here... won't this texture simply provide a better 'ground' for carbon buildup?

Amilcar
Pro
Pro
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:32 am
Location: Brazil

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Amilcar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 pm

I bet yes, if you have not optimal valve stem seal working , plus some reversion on it.

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3277
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Carnut1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm

I guess the same could be said for textured ports and chambers. If the guides are done correctly I don't think there will be an issue.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

70GS455
New Member
New Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:21 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by 70GS455 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:20 pm

The benefit of dimpling as it creates turbulence at the boundary layer, is that it helps the flow stay attached longer to the particular surface. The boundary layer is thicker versus a smooth surface so drag is slightly higher. So it seems to me, the best use of this would be only to use rough surface texture when the air has to turn (short side radius for example). Would love to see a flow test of texture on turns vs smooth vs texture on all
Scott

Ron E
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: nc

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Ron E » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Possible stress risers on the valve worry me. Possibly just paranoid.

Post Reply