Rember the intake port texture debates?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Frankshaft
Pro
Pro
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Frankshaft » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:21 am

From 3 years ago. Ford motorsports super cobra jet heads. These made a 1020hp, with a 2.25 intake. And, only 380cfm.
WP_20160204_15_19_04_Pro.jpg


That's my aggressive cuttered finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frankshaft
Pro
Pro
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Frankshaft » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 am

This is the finish I use if the guy isn't on board with the aggressive cuttered finish. Mildly ported dart pro 1 345 BBC heads.
WP_20160330_19_24_03_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:50 pm
Location: Lake Charles, LA

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by nickpohlaandp » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 am

Frankshaft wrote:This is the finish I use if the guy isn't on board with the aggressive cuttered finish. Mildly ported dart pro 1 345 BBC heads.
Without me going back and re-reading 14 pages of this thread, does anyone care to share how to create these textured finishes on iron or aluminum (I imagine aluminum would be easier)? Thanks.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!

swampbuggy
Pro
Pro
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: central Florida

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by swampbuggy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 am

Here is a question directed at Chad----------Chad i see you thinned down the divider between the runners quite a bit, there has been a lot of talk about that not being a good idea. I have noticed upon close observation that some of Edelbrocks intake manifolds such as the Victor Glidden #2858 and the B.B.C. #2896 Super Victor are cast with quite thin dividers. Your comments would be appreciated much. Thanks Mark.

Frankshaft
Pro
Pro
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Frankshaft » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:20 am

Chad's the only one that knows anything? Those runners are like that otb. Its for area. If it needs the area, that's what you end up with. That's it.

swampbuggy
Pro
Pro
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: central Florida

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by swampbuggy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Frankshaft, I know d_ _ n well Chad is not the only person who knows how to modify an intake manifold and make horsepower. The reason i directed the question to him is BECAUSE it is HIS manifold, and what do you mean by the letters otb, i am not a youngster who knows all the abbreviations. Mark

User avatar
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:50 pm
Location: Lake Charles, LA

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by nickpohlaandp » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:09 pm

maxracesoftware wrote:...then i take that same Burr and try to chip the new teeth just right to get the finish i need
Image
Ummm, how do you go about chipping the teeth on the burr?
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!

Ron E
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1986
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: nc

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Ron E » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:16 pm

swampbuggy wrote:Frankshaft, I know d_ _ n well Chad is not the only person who knows how to modify an intake manifold and make horsepower. The reason i directed the question to him is BECAUSE it is HIS manifold, and what do you mean by the letters otb, i am not a youngster who knows all the abbreviations. Mark

otb= out of the box

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by GARY C » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Ron E wrote:
swampbuggy wrote:Frankshaft, I know d_ _ n well Chad is not the only person who knows how to modify an intake manifold and make horsepower. The reason i directed the question to him is BECAUSE it is HIS manifold, and what do you mean by the letters otb, i am not a youngster who knows all the abbreviations. Mark

otb= out of the box
Yes!... here is a good picture of as cast or OTB divider thickness.
Image
Image

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2874
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by RevTheory » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

If this was asked already, I missed it and apologize: Has anyone done an A-B dyno test between a CNC port and a textured port?

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by GARY C » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:42 pm

RevTheory wrote:If this was asked already, I missed it and apologize: Has anyone done an A-B dyno test between a CNC port and a textured port?
I haven't seen that question but I would like to see that test.

swampbuggy
Pro
Pro
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: central Florida

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by swampbuggy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Ron E and Gary C i appreciate the text as well as the pictures, it is all cleared up now! Mark H. And thanks to ALL of you folks for your willingness to share unselfishly what you have learned over time.

User avatar
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:50 pm
Location: Lake Charles, LA

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by nickpohlaandp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:40 am

swampbuggy wrote:...And thanks to ALL of you folks for your willingness to share unselfishly what you have learned over time.
I agree wholeheartedly. That's why a lot of us join these forums. I know that's why I joined. That's also why I read pretty much nothing but technical books. I'm constantly trying to read. Now if only I had the $ to experiment with everything I learn... wouldn't life be grand! :D
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!

BradH
Pro
Pro
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by BradH » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Dwayne Porter, the owner of the shop with whom I work closely on my cylinder heads, dyno testing, etc., doesn't have a current SpeedTalk account, but passed on a few questions after reading through this thread. I've tried to take them pretty much verbatim, with some verbiage tweaks of my own:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1. Since there seems to be some pretty specific info on what the "correct" texture is, how critical is the textured finish for power gains to be seen over the typical sanding roll finish?

2. If the ports are left with the typical carbide cuttered finish they would normally have prior to getting hit with a sanding roll, would that be expected to show a power gain over the sand roll finish? I.e, how much is from simply having "texture", and how much of it is having a specific texture?

3. There is a lot of talk about how it works because the texture increases fuel atomization, less fuel clinging to the walls, etc. So how does that part of it figure into using the cuttered finish in the exhaust ports, which I would think "should" be all dry flow?

4. Last comment... seems like that rough chamber finish would just end up being a carbon magnet in long term use.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Me (the OP) again. I posted a pic in this thread on May 25, 2017 2:35 pm of a cuttered port finish that I did. Still curious if "those in the know" think that level of surface texture would be expected to show the benefits being talked about. It seems to fit w/ the nature of Dwayne's questions above. Thanks - Brad

BradH
Pro
Pro
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by BradH » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 pm

BradH wrote:
1. Since there seems to be some pretty specific info on what the "correct" texture is, how critical is the textured finish for power gains to be seen over the typical sanding roll finish?

2. If the ports are left with the typical carbide cuttered finish they would normally have prior to getting hit with a sanding roll, would that be expected to show a power gain over the sand roll finish? I.e, how much is from simply having "texture", and how much of it is having a specific texture?
Uhhh... after re-reading his PM, I think Dwayne intended for #1 & #2 to be ONE question, only with additional context. I interpreted it as two, so feel free to "mentally merge" them together if it makes more sense that way.

Post Reply