Rember the intake port texture debates?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by MadBill »

nickpohlaandp wrote:... When I apply Bernoulli’s principle it would seem that the dimpling would create a higher pressure (due to the higher velocity air within each dimple) which, I would think, would repel “wetting” of the port walls.
Per Bernoulli, higher air velocity is accompanied by lower pressure..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Must warn you, when I'm done with all 8 ports my hands and arms are tingling. It's a little weird..
Be carefull Chad, that's a sign you're doing nerve damage - google 'white finger' & reynauds syndrome.
I got it, it ain't fun, the last 2 fingers of my left hand go white & dead if they get too cold - & the amount of cold required has gotten less.
Once they go dead you gotta stop & warm them up pronto, no blood flow for extended periods = dead flesh.

Wear gloves - I use 'carpenters' gloves with 2 fingers missing so I can still feel stuff. also get yourself a gel cover for your grinder.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

KnightEngines wrote:
Must warn you, when I'm done with all 8 ports my hands and arms are tingling. It's a little weird..
Be carefull Chad, that's a sign you're doing nerve damage - google 'white finger' & reynauds syndrome.
I got it, it ain't fun, the last 2 fingers of my left hand go white & dead if they get too cold - & the amount of cold required has gotten less.
Once they go dead you gotta stop & warm them up pronto, no blood flow for extended periods = dead flesh.

Wear gloves - I use 'carpenters' gloves with 2 fingers missing so I can still feel stuff. also get yourself a gel cover for your grinder.

100% correct, one of the reasons I prefer the monster grinders is they absorb much of the vibration. Holding grinders tight and vibrating cause poor circulation. Temp is a factor, one of the reasons I now live in hell. At least my hands don't go numb at 50 degrees anymore. Be sure to take breaks to get the circulation back! Often.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I remember grinding with air in the winter and having to wrap the die grinder with a rag so it wouldn't blow frozen condensation in my face and freeze my hands to the grinder.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0613172037_2.jpg
Close up, back lit DV. E7TE exhaust port finish. Enlarged to show texture, just like a cereral box. Hairs are from the paper towel I used to give it a quick clean. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

MadBill wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:... When I apply Bernoulli’s principle it would seem that the dimpling would create a higher pressure (due to the higher velocity air within each dimple) which, I would think, would repel “wetting” of the port walls.
You are correct sir. I was typing faster than I was thinking. I will happily don my dunce cap and go sit in the corner. I used to fly planes, that's a stupid mistake to make, and now it's on the internet forever, lol
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

Carnut1 wrote:
0613172037_2.jpg
Close up, back lit DV. E7TE exhaust port finish. Enlarged to show texture, just like a cereral box. Hairs are from the paper towel I used to give it a quick clean. Thanks, Charlie
Ummm... I've never seen a guide ground down like that. Please explain.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:
0613172037_2.jpg
Ummm... I've never seen a guide ground down like that. Please explain.
Take a look at DV's E7TE thread and then google a stock E7TE exhaust port picture. That will give you the back story and what the port started at. First off the ports are tiny 120cc intake and 43cc exhaust more or less. The casting is thick in spots and not so thick in others but can be made to work with careful sonic mapping. These will always be cc limited. I think the intakes are 153cc and exhausts about 50cc off the top of my head. Why is the guide cut like that? Area, or the lack of it to turn the air. I would love to raise these ports .2" or so but on some complex curves the sonic just will not read and I have too many hours in these to push my luck. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

nickpohlaandp wrote:
MadBill wrote:
You are correct sir. I was typing faster than I was thinking. I will happily don my dunce cap and go sit in the corner. I used to fly planes, that's a stupid mistake to make, and now it's on the internet forever, lol
Yeah, wouldn't it be great if the 'Edit' button stayed live for longer? #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

nickpohlaandp wrote:
MadBill wrote:

Don't feel bad. It's hard to get over on Mad Bill, Kevin Johnson, Stan Weiss and those guys.

They don't miss much.
na svt

Post by na svt »

1989TransAm wrote:Does this work better with a carburetor or EFI? Dry air or "wet" air? Or does it not matter?
In the head, all intake ports will be wet unless they are direct injected.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

KnightEngines wrote:

You know I must have that too. I can drink a quart of moonshine and I start to tingle then all of a sudden I dont feel nuutin for about 8 hrs. What is that name again so I can ask mt doctor.
reed
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

KnightEngines wrote:

Or...carpal tunnel issues. My brother (Ortho SA) said that one could tell where the nerve impingement would be by which fingers were affected. Something along the lines of "thumb + forefinger = wrist, middle to pinky = elbow or shoulder."

I had bilateral CT surgery in 2009- mine was thumbs plus forefingers. Be careful. Gel cover is a great idea.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0617171327c.jpg
I would like some feedback on this texture. D.V.'s E7Te heads I am finishing up. Same finish on exhaust, intake and chambers. Why do I use the same finish on all three at this point? I am able to blend my curves pretty well with this size and style, beat up burr. So, I only need to roll my chamber edge and this chamber is done unless I see something that could use more attention. I feel this surface helps atomization a bit on intake, has a slight golf ball surface which reduces airflow resistance. On the chamber can still help atomization by breaking up any liquid fuel that enters chamber, the finish is smooth enough I feel it will not have hot spots that may cause detonation or preignition and has a bit of heat reflecton ability due to the tiny scalops. Exhaust port will get same finish due to slight airflow resistance reduction due to golfball effect and intake and exhaust will get ssr polishing with sandcloth. Input welcome. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
desoto30

Post by desoto30 »

KnightEngines wrote:

X2 Yes...
I also have Reynards, but fortunately live in central Qld.. Where it is much easier to manage as temperatures above 25* seem to cause no issue.. You in SA would without doubt suffer more & for longer each year.. I unfortunately also have Duputytren's which one of the said causes is vibrating tools & a northern [or part] northern European Scandinavian heritage, sometimes referred to as Viking hand, Or Viking disease.

Weird tingling hands are an indicator that is for sure.