Torque wrench question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Re: Torque wrench question

Post by A_VAS »

as long as your click type wrench is connected to the socket, directly on the nut = it won't matter where or how long of a pipe extension is used.
torque to click, done.

if you add an extension between the socket and the click wrench drive, then you have to do some math to account for the longer lever arm.
too lazy to make power w/o boost
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

A-Vas is referring to adapters and extenders, some of which are curved to go around obstructions
+/- 5-10% should still work fine, on axle nuts lube makes a big difference as mentioned above
you can way overtighten with molylube or silicone grease etc
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It's a simple calculation with a beam wrench: Actual torque = indicated torque x [(pointer length + extension length)/ pointer length]
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
badassracing
Re: 4sfed

Post by badassracing »

4sfed wrote:
badassracing wrote: It does matter with a click wrench
How do you figure that? Hold it by the handle or clamp it in a vise, if it's set at 50 lb-ft and you apply 50 lb-ft to the socket drive it will "click".
Not true

Don't ask me I'm not an engineer. But what I can tell you is that work I calibration lab for a living and everytime an engineer tells me I'm wrong I take them out to the torque station and show them I'm right. Then it gets quiet.

All you have to do is grip the click wrench in a different location and the torque will change
4sfed
Pro
Pro
Re: 4sfed

Post by 4sfed »

badassracing wrote:
4sfed wrote: It does matter with a click wrench
Not true

Don't ask me I'm not an engineer. But what I can tell you is that work I calibration lab for a living and everytime an engineer tells me I'm wrong I take them out to the torque station and show them I'm right. Then it gets quiet.

All you have to do is grip the click wrench in a different location and the torque will change
My apologies . . . you are correct. The reason is . . . the "click" type wrench does not react to torque at the socket (drive), it reacts to torque at a pivot a short distance away. The head is in effect an extension . . . where Bill's formula applies.

Consider the diagram below. The dimensions are idealized to make the numbers easy. If 100 lbs force is applied to the handle, 150 lb-ft of torque will be applied to the socket . . . but the pivot will see only 137.5 lb-ft

Move your hand to 9 inches from the socket and it will take 200 lbs to generate 150 lb-ft of torque on the socket, but only 125 lb-ft is generated at the pivot.

Now put Roundybout's 3 ft pipe on the end of the wrench . . . it overlaps the handle a little so we'll say the overall length is now 4 ft. This weakling :D only needs to pull with 37.5 lbs to generate 150 lb-ft at the socket, but now generates 145 lb-ft at the pivot . . . about a 6% error.
torque_wrench.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

exhaustgases wrote:
pdq67 wrote:But 1100 pounds??

Gimmie a break!

pdq67
Likely at goof with a rattle wrench that pounded it on too tight.
A f**, "rattle-wrench", won't hit 1100 pounds so gimmie a break!!

My Daughter bought the old Honda against my wishes, (228,000 miles or so and I unloaded it at 289,000), but it did have every service receipt from 50,000 miles on. I should a kept it, it was a great old car... It had a, "pur", in it's auto tranny that worried me is all. I figure front pump??

Carl Edwards, (my next door neighbor), said that the car is probably in TX, running fine....... I stupidly put a rebuilt head on it....

pdq67
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I have a 1" drive beam style I use for carb adjustments...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019