Older Crane Cam ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bob M
Older Crane Cam ?

Post by Bob M »

Hello all and thanks in advance.
I recently cam across an older series roller for a BBC (TR-268/4167-2S-8) Crane probably sold quite a few of these back in the day, so I'm wondering if anyone has any past experience or data (street/strip) on this grind in a 12:1 468 that you could share?
I know this is an older Crane profile that appears to have been replaced by a newer .420 lobe. Wondering roughly how much power might be left on the table running this older TR profile verses more modern lobe designs, or is this older design a good compromise of power and reliability?
Bob M
Re: Older Crane Cam ?

Post by Bob M »

Anyone...?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Have you tried Crane directly??
Or Call and chat with someone may get the info faster. Chase knight retired form Crane a while back while a member here does not get the same messages as before.

I would call Crane and get the current info since Chase retired
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Post by GOSFAST »

Bob M wrote:Hello all and thanks in advance.
I recently cam across an older series roller for a BBC (TR-268/4167-2S-8) Crane probably sold quite a few of these back in the day, so I'm wondering if anyone has any past experience or data (street/strip) on this grind in a 12:1 468 that you could share?
I know this is an older Crane profile that appears to have been replaced by a newer .420 lobe. Wondering roughly how much power might be left on the table running this older TR profile verses more modern lobe designs, or is this older design a good compromise of power and reliability?
Hi Bob, are you looking for the specs on that cam or just the power it could produce??

On the platform you mention you should end up in the 600/650 HP range with no problems.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I do have the specs available but not near me at the moment. Some can be gotten here from the grind number you post above. I do show a 660 HP build (many years ago/1987-1988) on the 454" platform (OEM iron heads) with that specific Crane cam. Similar Lunati grind making very close to the same power.
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Bob M wrote:Hello all and thanks in advance.
If it was the R274, id bet you'd find a lot of folks that ran it.

You give very little to go by, 12:1, 468 street/strip. Hmmm. Let alone what's being left on the table???

That cam is 268*/272* @ .050" .708"/.708" lift. (W/ 1.7rr) on a 108*

I call that a race cam....
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

More info please, a BBC oval or rectangular port?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
cknight

Post by cknight »

The Crane Cams TR series of lobes were introduced in the late 1970's. Intended applications were for extended periods of racing where valve train stability was paramount, such as oval track, road racing, off-road, offshore racing, radical street, etc. Are there better grinds available nowadays? Certainly, with today's specialization per application, improvements can be achieved. Would this cam be good currently? Depends on the exact application. Crane still sells plenty of TR profile camshafts, due to their long history of torque and good valve train reliability. Isn't everything a compromise of power and reliability? Regards, Chase
Bob M

Post by Bob M »

Thank you all for the info, this helps out, considering that I was too vague to be asking whats left on the table.
I believe this cam will be a good compromise of some street and strip action based on what Chase added, but either way I went with it. I'd be ok with a 10, 20 or 30 hp loss for longevity sake...

A little more info on this vintage style combo, 468, Dart Iron 308s with some porting, 2.25/1.88 with a fairly stout PAC 1224 spring, JE pistons, with an Edelbrock Vic Jr. cleaned up and port matched (4150) and an 850 from AED. It's a Scat rotator using a .400 long rod, still externally balanced with an ATI damper. Just picked up a set of Comp Ultra Pro XD rockers.

I need to measure up for pushrods next which leads me to another question, what are some of your thoughts on wall thickness with this combo? Will the typical .080 3/8 be sufficient for this application?
Thanks again.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

You need more than a Vic Jr to take full advantage of those heads.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bob M

Post by Bob M »

mag2555 wrote:You need more than a Vic Jr to take full advantage of those heads.
What do you prefer on this combo?
Bob M

Post by Bob M »

Just an update on my old school 12.25:1, 6.535 rod, 468, Dart 308, Vic Jr. (AED 850 HO) combo.
I finished the build last week and fired it over the weekend, staying with the old .708" 268/272 @ .050 Crane Track Roller. No dyno for this build, just garage and street tuning for now.

One thing I did change out was the rocker arms. I originally ordered the Comp Ultra Pro XD, but when I mocked them up for pushrods I wasn't liking the geometry. I also didn't like the side to side slop when on my rocker stud (ARP). I had access to one Crower stainless Enduro rocker which for my combo, worked out very nice. I had less sweep pattern across the valve and the overall fit on the stud was more snug, so I went with the Crowers over the Comps.
I also like the way that the Crowers now have a flat surface for the polylock nut to butt to rather than having the typical machined circular groove to fit into.

As for pushrods I ended up going with a 3/8 .135 wall w/.210 radius end from Trend.

Maybe with a little tweeking I'll be in this territory for numbers; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50515
Bob M

Post by Bob M »

Just figured I'd give an update on what this combo did as I finally finished it and took it to the track.
I retained the good ol' Crane TR cam after all and I'm really happy with the results thus far. Right of the trailer with just me tuning in the garage and on the street it went 10.16 @ 137.8 mph, just foot braking it, car left pretty soft w/1.505 60ft. Should be a solid 9.90 car once dialed in, I didn't have a chance to make another pass.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

alway nice to hear about the end result. =D>
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Exactly, and it sounds like a pretty good result☺
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Bob M what does the car weigh with driver :?: Mark H.