327 SBC large journal junker

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re: 327 SBC large journal junker

Post by racear2865 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:Use a 750cfm carb on this motor. You don't need to choke it down with a tiny carb.

If the real compression ratio is going to be 11.02:1 it is a hair too much for pump gas. And a cam (any cam) and false math based on fictitious numbers and cranking compression psi BS is not going to change that.
Tame down the cr a bit. You can port your own heads. Those heads were made and intended for that.
I too would believe the CR to be slightly high but we just completed a build of a SBC original 327---365hp for a customer. We had Erson grind a solid flat tappet for it and we were pretty aggressive on the timing. Ran great on 90+ octane on the dyno with absolutely no octane knock. He has gone about 1000 miles now and said he has never heard it ping. Has a Tremec 5 speed with 3:73 gears. I think this helps a lot. Also in a 56 Chevy 2 door HT (quite heavy) really. He does not lug the car but he doesnt baby it and is having a ball. We decked the blocks but preserved all the numbers and had to slim cut the heads but went to Fel Pro .039 gaskets so was a trade off against milling. Timing is at 36. So I was rong again.
reed
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: 327 SBC large journal junker

Post by steve cowan »

hi guys,
i need some feedback on victor jnr intake manifold i am thinking of using
the cylinder heads are sportsman 2 as cast
2.14'' @ pushrod pinch
2.52" @ intake opening
this victor intake i ported about 5 years ago.it was my first intake i ever done
plenum 3.74'' x 3.74''
3.62'' high from floor to carb pad
runner opening at the plenum 1.18'' x 2.75'' = 3.25'' csa
intake mouth 1.22'' x 2.066'' = 2.52'' csa
is having 3/4 '' taper in the intake runner a mistake? I read some years ago where jim mcfarlane AKA EDELBROCK ERA
said he has seen good manifolds have taper,i have engine pro software but it only gives me min and max csa
i have 2 other intakes both team G
one is tall plenum and one is low plenum,both of these intakes are a 1206 intake gasket size and there csa is the same at the plenum runner opening and at the mouth hence me asking the question
i have a unported super victor on my 383 which has 1/2 inch taper from runner opening to head opening 2.95'' - 2.45'' approx
any advice appriciated
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"